Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intro to Backcountry Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm an advanced skier but no experience of backcountry skiing and keen to try my hand at this.

I've been looking online at various tour operators who offer this on a packaged basis and keen to hear any views from fellow SnowHeads on what works best, anything to be aware of, anything to avoid.

Thanks in advance

Brian
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you spend your winters in Scotland, why not see about doing a course there? You may find it quite economical, and you'll likely be close enough that you can make your mind up about the weather and snow coverage close to the time and not have to book stuff ages in advance. I know Glenmore Lodge run various ski touring and offpiste skiing courses, but they're definitely not the only folk doing so. There's some astounding terrain to be had when the conditions are right; you should take advantage of it!

(Incidentally, "backcountry" seems a bit vague. Did you mean ski touring with skins and touring bindings and boots, or off piste skiing from resort lifts using your usual downhill kit?)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did an Intro to Touring course with Mountain Tracks in Zinal in April this year. The course organization, guide, resort and accommodation were all excellent. I definitely recommend and would book with them again. In fact we're off to stay in the same hotel independently this September.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brianr, As Serriadh, says backcountry is a bit of a wide and also US term, if you mean off piste, or touring, or general ski mountainering then there are many courses out there, most tend to specialize on one section. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd be liking Serriadh's Scotland idea. One thing about the prevalent Scottish snowfall is that it does seem to lend itself to rando.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Eagle Ski Club runs an introductory course every year (and a follow on hut to hut tour if you have the time) - usually pretty competitively priced, but not the choice if you are looking for deluxe accommodation, a glitzy resort etc etc

http://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/club-tours
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi thanks all for the responses, appreciated.

Apologies re terminology, yes what I meant was ski touring, so skinning up rather than off-piste from lifts.

I got the term from the SnowWorks website, and I'd be interested if anyone has any experience of them.

Gämsbock, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out.

Serriadh, good suggestion, I'll look into that, I learnt at Cairngorm as a kid, and still head up a few times each year. I do know Nevis Range offer an intro to the Back Corries, but I've not seen anything re touring, but will have a look.

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second Gämsbock's recommendation for Mountain Tracks if you don't decide on Scotland - a really excellent team.

I can also recommend a guide in Chamonix who is excellent and does private intro to touring courses of various lengths, just pm me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lots of guides around Aviemore. and district. who'll take you skinning on the plateau for the day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Summit Ski Tours have a bunch of courses and base camp trips based in Canada that are worth checking out

www.summitskitours.com
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are in Scotland there is loads of options....

G2 Outdoor
Glenmore Lodge
SAIS avalanche courses
Nevis Range backcountry work shops
Ski Mountain / Kenny Biggin
Crank it up gear / Davy Gunn
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brianr, in addition to the resources above, there's quite a large touring club in Inverness. I've never joined them myself but I know they get together for sociable trips with varying commitment levels throughout the winter months.

But you can get loads of fun and experience soloing in your local hills or exploring the fringes around say Glenshee & Cairngorm ski areas. My first few tours were near Moffat ... there's something really special about skiing in the hills and mountains you can see from your house. And BTW, you might just as well get Dynafit bindings now because if you don't, you'll probably wish you had later on. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
also look at www.backcountryadventures.co.uk. various groups running through the season
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Inverness Backcountry club's 2014/2105 programme just published includes an introduction to ski touring ... http://www.ibsc.org.uk/programme
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Brian

I have done probably 8 -10 'courses' with Snoworks.

They don't do ski touring as such. For many years they have run 'Backcountry' courses. These are based in St. Anton, Gressoney, Tignes Courchevel and Cormayeur. General format is 5 full days with a combination of instructors/guides. The idea is to get off the beaten tracks, but access is usually from lifts, then traverse or maybe short hike into another valley. In Gressoney there is an option for a heli drop on the glacier, Tignes you can ski Mickey's Ears then heli pick up. I have not used skins on any 'Backcountry' courses. Kit is off piste skis and usual safety kit.

They also run 'Backcountry Access' courses. Similar to above, but with emphasis is on skinning to get further afield. It is not touring, as the skinning is more a means to an end - a great downhill run! you don't need touring boots for this, and they will rent you skis and skins.

Any of the above requires at least some experience of off piste skiing, but they are groups to suit various levels of ability. If you haven't really skied much off piste, then you can do worse than go on one of their general off piste weeks. 5 half days, again groups from novice to expert.

I don't work for them!, but enjoy their approach and attitude. they are all top level instructors or guides, but the whole point is to give you a great experience in the mountains, and not just show how well they can ski. Most people take their accommodation option, so quite a social time as well.

If it is traditional ski touring or mountaineering that you are seeking, then others have given various pointers.

HTH

Ian
snow conditions
Following this thread with interest, as I'm tempted to get out touring in Scotland this season. Bit unclear on what would be the best skis and bindings for Scottish conditions. My memories of cross country skiing back in my student days involve lots of skiing on heather so the big wide skis that seem to be all the rage for off-piste might be less than ideal for Scotland. Is there a most popular choice of ski round here?
snow report
If you're touring, get dynafiddles. No real reason to do otherwise, unless you particularly wanted to avoid getting new boots.

I'd stick with the usual 80-100mm waist skis that generally get recommended in most places this side of the atlantic. Its hard to go wrong with what's on offer these days, to be honest. Sport Conrad has some cheap K2s going: http://www.sport-conrad.com/K2/1382?sid=jgvd0r2nrnnn76d8d158tldbf3
ski holidays
If you want to just dip your toes in the water the Ski Cub of GB include some holidays in their programme which are ski Touring, but also some which they call ski Safaris. These are based in resorts rather than huts and use lifts, but also include a lot of skinning.
latest report
I run a lot of intro's to ski touring and Backcountry skiing in Chamonix France and Wanaka NZ. Happy to chat or point you in the right direction?
snow conditions
Quote:
My memories of cross country skiing back in my student days involve lots of skiing on heather so the big wide skis that seem to be all the rage for off-piste might be less than ideal for Scotland. Is there a most popular choice of ski round here?
The amount of heather hopping depends on the snow conditions Valkyrie. Mrs MA and I use normal touring kit (Movement skis/Fritschi bindings) - about 80mm waist skis - and generally do about ten Scottish day-tours each winter using one of the ski areas as a starting point - and not generally involving too much heather hopping.

Touring kit is expensive but there are cheaper options:

- Braemar Mountain Sports (Braemar and Aviemore) and Mountain Spirit (Aviemore) both do (or at least did when I asked) occasionally sell ex-rental boots and skis.
- Sport Conrad (excellent German website that delivers worldwide) is excellent for cut price and ex-demo kit.

Or you can hire for a few days out before committing to the totally different world of ski touring - four or five hours uphill for about 30 mins down isn't necessarily to everyone's liking Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy