Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuck in a rut, need some destination ideas.

Poster: A snowHead
Another vote for the Sella Ronda (Italy), or the Matterhorn Skirama for both Cervinia (Italy) and Zermatt (Switzerland).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
Cervinia does nothing for me...

Imagines UANN as Midge Ure in his flasher mac...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clashcityrocker wrote:
Most of the others in the group have yet to experience a less than 100% Ski holiday.

Srsly? Wow! Either you have incredible luck with conditions or a group with highly specific tastes. So why risk it by going for something different?

If you do want to do something different( and there are lots of good suggestions already here) make sure everyone understands it will be different for better or worse. And if you're piste skiers you really don't have to worry about snowpack in Austria.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roflmao, Dave of the Marmottes, nice one.

Ahhhhh, Vienna....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or if decent pistes are your thing then maybe take a look at Lech as a base too. Not sure how many catered chalets there are there though but plenty of nice hotels. Otherwise agree with other posters that St Anton could be a good option. There's only a short bus/taxi ride between the two ski areas.

Or try a different resort in the 3 Vallées for a change of scenery from Val D.

It's a tough one. I know people who are exactly the same, and whilst there are a number of resorts which could fit the bill, it's a bit of a risk suggesting anything else...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I feel that part of the problem is that the OPs perceptions seem slightly out of date. At least insofar as uplift is concerned.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Or if decent pistes are your thing then maybe take a look at Lech as a base too. Not sure how many catered chalets there are there though but plenty of nice hotels.

There are some lovely hotels....I would recommend the Hotel Angela, totally ski in and out and the food is amazing...not really a lads hotel and hardly any Brits, but if you enjoy the finer things, as your chums seem to require wink then its fabulous.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clashcityrocker wrote:

As mentioned, many of the group have only ever skied these in France, and want a change. I am a bit weary, Austria is low and the weather can be problematic (none of the group have ever skied in brown slush). Switzerland is expensive and don't generally get Ski to the door, none of the group have ever suffered an hour wait to get up the mountain in the morning. Italy has poor lift systems, none of the group have suffered a 45 minute drag lift as the only means to get to a particular run.

I know there are some big generalizations in that last paragraph, but it's mostly true, I am trying to find some exceptions and try to go somewhere in Europe that can compete with the French mega-resorts.

clashcityrocker wrote:
under a new name wrote:
I can think of lots of Swiss and Italian areas that don't fit your somewhat dated generalisations.

I openly admitted that my question included a very sweeping statement, that I was aware wasn't entirely true, but is somewhat true.

perhaps rather than jumping down my throat, you could name some of these resorts?

Yes, the country that has the most ski resorts in Europe, the most skiable glaciers in the world (and thus September - Dec 50% of the open lift-accessed skiable terrain in the northern hemisphere), and typically (in the west - Arlberg/Vorarlberg) the most average snowfall in Europe is rightly famed due to its typical ski conditions of 'brown slush' Laughing Laughing Laughing

Time to go back to google my friend; start with continental vs maritime climates.

Or just stick to your ski factories and miss out on some of the best resorts in France, Austria, Italy and Switzerland...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, titter Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clashcityrocker wrote:
A group of about 10 of us go each year, as one of the "Elders" of the ski group (not by age, but by experience), it's down to me this year to suggest destinations and coordinate the booking. There is a certain level of expectation, as for the last 8 years, the bar has been set quite high, no sucky resorts.

For this reason, it's been France every time, and then the more modern French resorts (Alpe D Huez, Arc 2000, various 3 Valleys, Les Deux Alpes, Tignes etc). All of these offer alot of ski terrain, and all have decent lift systems (very few, or no drags), and you stay on resort, no messing with long queue lines at the start and end of the day.

As mentioned, many of the group have only ever skied these in France, and want a change. I am a bit weary, Austria is low and the weather can be problematic (none of the group have ever skied in brown slush). Switzerland is expensive and don't generally get Ski to the door, none of the group have ever suffered an hour wait to get up the mountain in the morning. Italy has poor lift systems, none of the group have suffered a 45 minute drag lift as the only means to get to a particular run.

I know there are some big generalizations in that last paragraph, but it's mostly true, I am trying to find some exceptions and try to go somewhere in Europe that can compete with the French mega-resorts.

In short, we are looking for a high altitude resport, not in France, that has a very good lift system, a "real" large ski terrain (one that truly large that doesn't involve lame busses), that has lots of on resort accommodation that can be skied to or near to.

Any suggestions, or will we be going to Val d'Isère this year?

Many thanks.

Ischgl - snow sure, vast, modern lift system
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The mega French resorts are over rated in our book, I agree with everyone re Italy and Austria, I am leaning towards Austria . While it is lower as it has been said it has great snow fall, and some of the best glacier skiing in the world. Top that with fun atmosphere everywhere not just après ski, lots of tree line skiing with good snow. Lifts almost everywhere are modern and fast, not to mentioned mostly covered and lots with heated seats. As for chalet catering , well perhaps you won't get that in Austria but a meal out can be fun , and self catering is easily done with some fantastic chalets for hire. Have a google on different reviews of resorts and you may be surprised.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clashcityrocker, your views are dated. The Austrians have made huge investments in infrastructure, so in most makor resorts you'll be pressed to find a T bar. This means that most lifts going up from the town are modern too and with a bit of planning you can avoid waiting at the base. You can get brown slush in France too
I'm seconding TomW: Ischgl gets a lot of snow and is quite high. Val Gardena in Italy is very good too and the views are really amazing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, Austria and Italy is the way to go, you won't want to rush back to France. They have more modern lift systems, higher quality facilities and cheaper prices. Oh and if you can teach your friends to love drag lifts they, willll find un crowded ski runs too.
Switzerland is also fantastic. Haven't tried st Moritz, Davos or Wengen yet but I would expect good things.

Have fun.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will admit I am not a lover of drag lifts but Peter makes a point, if there is one there it usually will bring you to an area where there are less people and good runs.
latest report
A bit late in the discussion, but I've been in the same boat as you and then ventured to Austria. No more French resorts for me. St Anton and Kitzbuhel are hard to beat. OK, they can be a bit damp at resort level, but up top they are fine and more than compensate with great Apres and friendlier folk all round. Solden is snow sure and Ischgl is high as well.
latest report
clashcityrocker I have skied all of the areas you have visited - plus dozens more in 15 or 16 countries - so would agree with others that your views re. non-French, non-gigantic ski areas are more than a little pre-conceived. France is indeed brilliant skiing (I own an apartment in Tignes) but, IMO, the ambience and overall niceness of Austria just can't be beaten. As has been mentioned, Ischgl, St Anton, Lech, Zuers and Soelden would all fit the bill. Or if you wished to (God forbid) hop on a highly efficient (free) bus or train, the size and extent of the Ziller Valley (Mayrhofen etc) takes some beating. The Italian and Swiss suggestions made by fellow snowHead would all be worth a punt too.

To stick with France would mean to miss out on some fantastic ski areas and some fantastic skiing. Still, you wouldn't know any different so you'd all be happy enough. Bit like a friend of a friend I spoke to recently for the first time. I knew they were a keen skier and that they'd been skiing for a long time. When I asked them, they confirmed it was 25 years in fact....for one week a year to the same hotel in Schladming. I really didn't know what to say Confused.

On the weather front, we've been washed out by heavy rain at 3000m in France in March - but skied powder at fairly low altitude in Austria in April. We've also had less than perfect (think worn/icy/scraped hardpack) in Tignes, which usually has just about the most reliable conditions around. But that's what can happen if you ski a lot and you just have to accept the conditions and make the best of it. However, overall, you are not comparing like with like by comparing altitude in France and Austria, Very generally speaking, snow conditions in Austria (being further inland) are similar to those that would be found 4 or 500m higher in France.

Quote:
Yes, the country that has the most ski resorts in Europe, the most skiable glaciers in the world (and thus September - Dec 50% of the open lift-accessed skiable terrain in the northern hemisphere), and typically (in the west - Arlberg/Vorarlberg) the most average snowfall in Europe is rightly famed due to its typical ski conditions of 'brown slush'
Brilliant Clarky! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy