Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am up the creek- any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

Am in a bit of a pickle so am posting to see if the the collective minds of Snowheads can help.

For years we have wanted to do a ski season but never had the opportunity until now. Our jobs had both come to an end, we had both rented our places so have an income of sorts, had enrolled in a chalet cooking course and up until a month ago had an offer of a chalet host couple job with Powder White. Then, the day before we were due to set off to France for a month on a house sit my (soon to be ex) partner announced that she no longer wanted to do a season and to return to her home country after the house sit. Bit of a bombshell and not the best timing but better that she drop out now than just before the season.

I now find myself at the ripe old age of 44 struggling to get any form of chalet host position despite being booked for a cooking course. Seemingly most chalet companies don't want to take on mature hosts without previous experience regardless of what they might be able to offer. Given this it looks as if I will have to go for something different such as driving assuming either I can get a D1 qualification or there is training before the job starts.

The question is do I continue to email of CVs and cover letters when there doesn't seem to be much chance of getting a host position or just concentrate on alternative jobs? I have to say that I'm a very social person and for that reason like the idea of hosting although it's not going to be anywhere near as flexible as a driving job.

There is also another element to my situation- I have Canadian citizenship and was thinking of heading to Vancouver/Whistler and getting a PT job there which would in theory give me time to board on days off OR if I were to go really crazy, I could take the snowboard instructor course and work out there.

Any advice would be appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am pretty certain that you would also need DCPC for D1 driving. DCPC requires a mandatory 35 hours training.

However, I would have thought that lots of bars restaurants would be looking about now for sensible mature type - particularly if they can speak local language. I would keep trying if I were you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Davecon70, Contact SkiWorld. They are still listing jobs.

http://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment/resort-positions

Son #2 worked for them. He had a great season.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick replies. Apparently Skidy Gonzales will give training prior to starting assuming you are up for the job. Funnily enough as my license is pre 97 it already includes the D1 qualification.

Any snow heads done a driving season before?

PS Will check ski world.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Davecon70 wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies. Apparently Skidy Gonzales will give training prior to starting assuming you are up for the job. Funnily enough as my license is pre 97 it already includes the D1 qualification.

Any snow heads done a driving season before?

PS Will check ski world.

What you have are 'grandfather' acquired rights for D1 driving. You cannot use that commercially for 'hire or reward'. To use a pre-97 licence for hire and reward (basically in france H&R is interpreted as pretty much anything other than driving yourself and family) you still need to do a theory and practical test for D1.

You see, they know you were just given your D1 and so have closed the loophole.

Then you still can't use it once you have taken your D1 test and passed it. You see you also need a DCPC qualification to drive a category D1 vehicle commercially.

It's do-able but you would be in huge doo-doo if you tried to use your grandfather rights commercially. Plus the operator would probably lose their operators licence.

Here is the full SP:

"Category D1

Category D1 is for minibuses of between 9 and 16 passenger seats and is a subcategory of Category D.

Subcategory D1 vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM. There is no upper weight limit for subcategory D1 vehicles.

There is a minimum age requirement of 21 years for this category.

Drivers who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 normally will also have category D1 entitlement but they cannot drive this category of vehicle for hire or reward. Hire or reward generally means any payment in cash or kind made by or on behalf of passengers that gives them the right to be carried in a vehicle."
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Silver Ski have always embraced mature hosts
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plus, and I am not sure about this as I know more about the goods vehicle side of things, you would also need to have a digital tacho as I am pretty sure that any d1 vehicle would be equipped with a tacho.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But you can drive minibuses with up to 8 seats on a B1 licence. I presume that's you mainly see 8 seater minivans or coaches being used as transfer/General delivery vehicles? So, I think there are plenty of driving jobs that don't require a D1.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also, Ski Beat employ single hosts to run small chalets.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Davecon70, SkiWorld offered son #2 his job in the May even though he didn't go on his cookery course until the following September.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You only need cat B if you are driving the 9 seater minibuses.
You will need to do a first aid course, pass a medical and some basic training (a few days at start of season)
It's a good job if you want plenty of ski time, but is still annoying if you are working on a powder day!
First season I drove 4 days a week, second season I drove 2 or 3 days a week. All the work is at weekends, so you'll work Sat/Sun most weeks and then probably on a rota for Monday to Friday.
Just google airport transfers Geneva, then for each of the companies get the contact from their web page and send off a CV.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Davecon70, although possibly harder work, I'd have thought bar work more entertaining and sociable than driving, tbh. Possibly not as well paid but I guess that isn't a motivation?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
aha. In that case I better make sure that I get all the qualifications necessary. Thanks for the advice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Silver Ski have always embraced mature hosts

I like that idea especially with my silver hair colour1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a season with Silverski when I was 40. Many of their employees were older than that (in our 3 large chalets in Les Menuires, I think there were 3 over 50s, 2 over 40's, a couple in their 30s and 3 x 20 somethings). That was 7 years ago, and the company isn't quite as big, and I would suggest you PM me if you want some insider info. People of our age probably don't realise how great the turnover of staff can be, both before a season and during, especially at the start, so if you're reliable and not likely to go into meltdown in your first week of cooking daily for a dozen people or more, then you're bound to get a job. I enjoyed my season, though I didn't end up doing what I was employed for (recruited as chalet cook and ended up as ski host which meant I had minimal free time). You might want to look at them, Ski Olympic (who also like maturer people), Ski Beat and many other small to mid sized chalet companies. I don't think the season jobs are all gone by any stretch. Good luck!
snow conditions
Whistler (and others) all want 2 years experience before offering teaching jobs ! Not sure how you get 2 years one of those catch22 things.

There are courses that offer internship type things where you do the L1 and they then employ you. Worth looking at if you have got working rights over there. Have a look at http://www.yesimprovement.com/programs/whistler-snowboard-instructor/wbssu
snow report
I've done loads of seasons and loads of jobs so to add my tuppence worth.
1- Firstly I think you have had the luckiest of escapes not going to work for powderwhite.
2 - Don't worry about your age, maturity and responsibility are valued. Particularly an ability to be on time to work.
3- If you get a cooking course certificate you will 95% get a job with any standard tour op running chalets.
4- At your age if you want to work for a tour op also consider rep. - try and avoid management unless you like it (lots of hours often)
5- Hardly anyone runs buses over 9 seats so it's not worth the expense of a d1 test.
6- bar jobs hard to come by unless you speak the local lingo (for a hotel job)
7- dont worry about resort, it's who you meet when there.
8- instructor qual also sounds like a plan, also consider Austria - via anwerter, but Canada, well why not indeed.
9- do the season if you can, it's hilarious.
snow report
Ditto the comments saying that Silver Ski embrace more mature staff - we get emails every year saying they are recruiting specifically that age range - though they do seem to prefer couples, probably because it makes the sleeping arrangements easier!.

I have also found some more mature staff with Ski Olympic in the past.

Good luck
latest report
Quote:

Firstly I think you have had the luckiest of escapes not going to work for powderwhite

Laughing
snow report
Don't have much to offer, but hope to be in a similar position in the next few years so will follow with interest
snow conditions
emwmarine, Regarding the driving licence, it's irrelevant what the UK rules are and what courses are available in the UK, what matters is what B, D1 etc means to the French (or Swiss) policeman looking at it.

Example: in the UK a British category B licence holder must have a CBT to drive a 125cc motorbike, must put L plates in it and can't carry a passenger. CBT expires after two years.
In France a British category B licence holder can after holding it two years do an unassessed training course and drive a 125cc bike with a passenger (no L plates required). This never expires.
In Spain a British category B licence holder can after holding it three years get straight on a 125cc bike and ride off (with passenger).

On the flip side of all that, the CBT isn't valid outside the UK , neither is the French course valid outside France, and a Brit hiring a 125 in Spain can't ride it over the border into France (or take it to the UK).

The licence catgories have been harmonised across Europe but how they are interpreted hasn't!

The best people to ask would be the transfer operators as with all the hassle from the French and Swiss in this area they really have to know their stuff.
ski holidays
Hi Davecon70,

Despite the popular preconception that all chalet hosts are drunk 18 year olds, 44 isn't old to be doing a season and, without wanting to be rude, I doubt that this is what is getting you the refusals.

For what it is worth my suggestion would be to sit down with your cv and covering letter and take a good long look at them. In particular,

- If you are worried about your age remove all mentions of it, all discussion of "mature" etc etc and just let your ability stand for it'self. Don't try and describe why you would be better than a youngster etc - concentrate on describing why you will be good.

- For all of the jobs you have on your cv try and work out how they are relevant to the job you are applying for. eg if you were a nuclear scientist list the job but under the description write "this job showed that I was honest, trustworthy, calm under pressure and could work to deadlines"

- Make it clear either on your cv or covering letter that you are flexible and unlikely to complain. Describe for example how you happily work extra hours etc in a job.

-Do not complain or critisise anything within the application process, critisise other companies, say anything negative at all. Treat it as seriously as applying for a job within your own field

- Make sure that either in your cv or in your covering letter you have writting about cooking experience, cleaning experience, dealing with people etc. That might mean adding the bar jobs you did when you were 18 to your cv, or writing in your covering letter that you love hosting dinner parties and cooking for friends.

- Remove all mention from your cv and covering letter of the situation with your partner and don't discuss it either in interview or on the phone etc. Practise what you will answer to questions such as "why are you doing a ski season" so that your partner isn't mentioned.

-Do not mention drinking/partying in your cv, covering letter or interview. Make sure that your photo (if you are asked for one) is smart and boring - no pint in your hand etc.

- As a couple of people have said above concentrate on companies which offer single jobs. eg with one person chalets, reps positions etc.

I hope that at least some of the advice above is constructive and helpful - feel free to ignore anything which doesn't apply. And good luck!
snow report
albinomountainbadger wrote:
emwmarine, Regarding the driving licence, it's irrelevant what the UK rules are and what courses are available in the UK, what matters is what B, D1 etc means to the French (or Swiss) policeman looking at it.

Example: in the UK a British category B licence holder must have a CBT to drive a 125cc motorbike, must put L plates in it and can't carry a passenger. CBT expires after two years.
In France a British category B licence holder can after holding it two years do an unassessed training course and drive a 125cc bike with a passenger (no L plates required). This never expires.
In Spain a British category B licence holder can after holding it three years get straight on a 125cc bike and ride off (with passenger).

On the flip side of all that, the CBT isn't valid outside the UK , neither is the French course valid outside France, and a Brit hiring a 125 in Spain can't ride it over the border into France (or take it to the UK).

The licence catgories have been harmonised across Europe but how they are interpreted hasn't!

The best people to ask would be the transfer operators as with all the hassle from the French and Swiss in this area they really have to know their stuff.

Pointless taking a D1 test, as as a Canadian Citizen, with a Canadian licence, you're not going to be able to get yourself a EU Digital Tachograph Drivers Card unless you have a UK or French address that it can be sent to, and that you can provide the necessary paperwork required. Time is probably too short now before the winter to accomplish a D1 test in the UK and Driver CPC qualification, (though it can be done in a one week crash course + theory test) and get yourself established in either the UK or France to send off for your tacho card.

Alternative is to drive with an International Driving Permit, and your Canadian Licence under B1 category, driving 8 seat minibuses EXCEPT for any company where you will be going to Geneva Airport, as due to the Swiss regs that came in, you will have to pay to register with the OFT in Bern, and provide evidence of 2 years previous professional driving experience. etc.
snow report
Davcon, I just got sent this: http://skilodgeengelberg.com/en/work-at-ski-lodge/. Could be interesting for you?
snow conditions
Look at Nixmap's thread. Perfect??
ski holidays
Chamexpress,

Probably OP has dual citizenship?
snow report
gryphea wrote:
Chamexpress,

Probably OP has dual citizenship?

I did wonder if that was why a few applications perhaps had not had an enthusiastic reply - is the OP nailing home that he's got a UK NI number as any mention of canada and I'm sure he'll get moved into the 'too hard' pile for a lot of TO's
snow report
Yep I do have dual citizenship which opens up the chance of working in Canada as an alternative.

Since my original post a few companies have come back after having read my CV and cover letter. In both cases the people that came back were around my age so they at least could back and neither liked being called 'mature'. Instead young at heart was the choice description. The jobs were for either a chalet host or a chalet assistant which is a jack of all trades and sounds interesting and varied.

I had an interview with another company yesterday and got absolutely stomped on as let's just say it was a very unconventional technique. It did however make me realise the potential pitfalls of going down the chalet host route in particular sharing a room with a person who could be young enough to be my kid and out partying each night. Funnily enough she did say that she could see me as a ski rep for a company like Inghams as they apparently have an older customer profile. The alternative would be a transfer driver where you're on a French contract and then can arrange your own accommodation.

Thanks to the person that posted recently about the do's and dont's when applying for a job. I laughed when I saw the bit about boring photo as the only recent one I could find was with me, beer in hand! Oops. I've also modified my CV a bit to cut down the work waffle and included more social aspects such as my passion for good food.

Will continue to update but thanks for everyone's input so far!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you looked at the Natives.com website?
ski holidays
Have you experienced a SHG/TUI assessment centre yet? Those are hilarious, but an otherwise unfortunate waste of a day...

No ignore natives.co.uk, not even a shadow of what it was, it just exists to sell cookery and snowboard instructors courses these days.

Surprisingly high number of jobs posted directly on twitter, get on it and following some companies and alpine recruitment agencies.
latest report
I'd second the Inghams suggestion - seen quite a few of their reps around who are older than average, and having a very good time too.

My take on this is that you should lean on the Canada option. Canadian unskilled working visas have recently become VERY hard to get hold of. There's a limited quota released each year on an online first-come-first-served basis and they're gone within minutes, crashing the website each time.

Tour ops don't sponsor Canadian/USA visas - you have to get it yourself. I know that it has been the case in previous years that they've been panicking about filling their roles due to the impossibility of getting those who wanted to swap from Europe to N.A. one of these visas. One year one company's entire staff received an email pretty much stating that anyone with right to work in USA/Canada could pick whatever job they wanted in those programs. With a UK NI number & bank account and the right to work in Canada, you might find yourself quite literally the only person able to fill quite a few choice roles.
snow report
OK. So I've applied through workaseason to Inghams as a resort rep. I've mentioned a have dual citizenship so let's hope they like me and send me to Canada.

If not I will do the cooking course and start to panic!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy