Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ebola

Poster: A snowHead
genepi wrote:
Should we really be sending in 750 military personel?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29542129

Events like this: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/17/ebola-liberia-clinic-raided have probably resulted in many more deaths and infections, and so perhaps some armed guards might well help in various containment roles, and they probably have a lot more training about operating in hazardous environments than most medics, etc etc.

On the other hand, that raid happened at least in part because of a deep-seated distrust of former colonial powers, not just due to ignorance. Maybe it would have escalated and ended up with a bunch of people getting shot and accusations of invasion.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Maybe consider xenophobic Switzerland or Austria instead?

peanuthead, you're joking, right?

Fixed it for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a C&P of a comment i read today. 100% agree with action plan.

The only way you will stop the spread of this disease is if the decision is made to stop all movement in the countries suffering from the disease for a set period or until no cases have presented over a three week period. All movement means just that no flights in or out of infected countries, no movement of people between villages, towns etc. Hard decision to make but in the end it may be the only way to put a stop to the spread of the diseaseNew00
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First rule of epidemic is containment so yes ^^
And yes, hard decision to make.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I note that there's nothing Ebola related on BBC news front page (at least where I live) apart from the story about the dog.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, thats the unique British aspect - 2.5m under-5yo children at risk and we fret about a dog.
While stantons quote is correct, without adequate means of enforcing quarantine and a population willing to comply, containment is almost impossible.
The current outbreak started in Guinea, and spread to neighboring countries, however because Guinea has more robust healthcare in place, the contagion rate has been significantly lower than in Sierra Leone and Liberia, both of which are still recovering from civil wars where healthcare largely relies on traveling unlicensed 'doctors' and a few official clinicians.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

without adequate means of enforcing quarantine and a population willing to comply, containment is almost impossible.

Anyone remember the 1990's film Outbreak Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2786874/Breaking-news-British-man-dies-suspected-Ebola-Macedonia-UK-victim-virus-killed-thousands.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, the Daily Fail is almost the worst of the worst. Of that headline the only element that one could treat with any confidence is that it may be associated with Macedonia.

And I hate the use of the word "victim". That assumes intent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
stanton, the Daily Fail is almost the worst of the worst. Of that headline the only element that one could treat with any confidence is that it may be associated with Macedonia.

Was he infected by a muslim? What does the forthcoming ebola epidemic mean for house prices? Was he killed to cover up his knowledge of what happend to Madeleine McCann? What aren't they telling us, huh?

Edit: its been done better elsewhere, of course... http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2014/10/05/typical-daily-mail-front-page/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serriadh, awesome.

I'm awaiting the "Ebola causes cancer," front page and "Ebola doesn't cause cancer" a few pages in and "If you catch Ebola you probably won't die of cancer" thereafter.

The one thing that we are sure of is that the glorious fourth estate have excelled themselves in their dreadfullness.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Serriadh, I saw some screen shot from CNN linking Ebola and IS
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisb, I think that was just a stupid metaphor about Ebola being the IS of viruses. or the other way around. rolling eyes

A rational, interesting and somewhat possibly reassuring article here http://qz.com/278819/talking-to-the-doctor-who-helped-stop-ebola-in-nigeria/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just read in newspapers... this guy in Macedonia most likely died due alcohol poisoning and not ebola. Well it's pretty similar, you are either dead drunk or you have ebola... just insane Smile Based on this, skiing is definitely big no, as there's huge number of ebola infected (read: drunk) people in bars on slope Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jogi, dont worry I expect there will be some headline linking ebola to sitting on a chair lift - my 14 year old said all the kids were talking about it at school, it will be here in 3 weeks and it will be like the film planet of the apes.....
ski holidays
I don't worry at all chrisb. It's just how stupid can it be. I mean yeah "symptoms" are similar... you uncontrollably puke, poo-poo and wee wee, with at least one small difference... in one case you smell like open schnaps bottle, and instead of someone calling him/herself doctor would say "oh look another drunk, lets empty his stomach" he puts whole hotel and most likely half of city in quarantine. Smile
ski holidays
In more shock horror news the man in Macedonia did not have Ebola.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
In more shock horror news the man in Macedonia did not have Ebola.

Justc another Drunken Brit
ski holidays
First Transmission the US Shocked
snow report
stanton, so?
ski holidays
under a new name,

It shows that some of the most stringent controls (recomended by tbe CDC) in the world have broken down.

The Nurse travelled freely from the Hospital to Appartment Complex who knows where else.

There upto 50 other medics from same facilty using the same
Bio haz suits.

The hospital is not admitting ANY Emergency patients now.

They cannot 100% confirm if Dogs or Cats can carry the virus Shocked
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
under a new name,

It shows that some of the most stringent controls (recomended by tbe CDC) in the world have broken down.

The Nurse travelled freely from the Hospital to Appartment Complex who knows where else.

There upto 50 other medics from same facilty using the same
Bio haz suits.

The hospital is not admitting ANY Emergency patients now.

They cannot 100% confirm if Dogs or Cats can carry the virus Shocked

Not sure what point you're making. Stringent controls will always break down, eventually, because people. That doesn't mean the controls are no good, it means they will always break down, eventually.

The first case of ebola in the UK was a Porton Down scientist who gave it to himself by accident in 1976. Which proves something.

Incidentally, that strain was far more lethal than this one, and he survived, and he infected no-one.

I wonder if there are any biological suicide bombers out there, though? If you're prepared to blow yourself up, presumably you're prepared to be infected with ebola, get nice and contagious and spend a few days leaving the virus all over London (say) before (once you're at death's door) then blowing yourself up at Heathrow departures.
latest report
That "wonder if there are any biological suicide bombers out there, though" is a worry. Very much predicated on just how much damage you could do and sadly it looks to me as though we don't know enough about the virus to predict that.

Cos it's a 3 rd world disease, that has previously typically burned itself out.
snow report
stanton wrote:
They cannot 100% confirm if Dogs or Cats can carry the virus

It is just as well that the Spanish authorities killed the nurse's dog then, we wouldn't want to find out.

I don't think you can feel too smug, you may live in an uninviting swamp but you still have a major airport in the middle of it.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
stanton wrote:
They cannot 100% confirm if Dogs or Cats can carry the virus

It is just as well that the Spanish authorities killed the nurse's dog then, we wouldn't want to find out.

I don't think you can feel too smug, you may live in an uninviting swamp but you still have a major airport in the middle of it.

I live in Switzerland but

FYI Schiphol compared to Heathrow handles only a fraction of West African flights I believe only Lagos.

I have been in Heathrow but often feels like im in an Airport in West Africa or India Very Happy
ski holidays
Try terminal 5, much better.
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Try terminal 5, much better.

don't encourage him Toofy Grin
snow report
This is unlikely to help

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29632433
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1, given the security theatre we all have to endure, presumably they know everyone who was on the flight, plus addresses, plus contact phones.

Should be the work of minutes to at least email and txt all of them.
snow report
It does seem an act of stupidity or neglegence that anyone
who is in contact with an Ebola patient would enter a crowded
Place like an airport let alone fly Shocked Shocked

Just one sneeze or cough or visit to the WC in an aircraft
you start a chain reaction Shocked
latest report
under a new name, yep, they have already identified the number (134 or 154 I can't remember ) and assume they have already started procedures. Still a little worrying though.
latest report
stanton wrote:
It does seem an act of stupidity or neglegence that anyone
who is in contact with an Ebola patient would enter a crowded
Place like an airport let alone fly Shocked Shocked

Just one sneeze or cough or visit to the WC in an aircraft
you start a chain reaction Shocked

It really pains me to agree with our little Dutch troll but restricting the (edit typo) movments of health care workers involved in the treatment of ebola cases does seem like a sensible approach.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 15-10-14 18:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Except, stanton,. No, that's not true.

1. As far as we know, it is not an aerosol vector. That does not mean that it's not present in expelled droplets.

2. Symptoms do not include sneezing or coughing.

3. Do you lick toilet seats? I don't know anyone who does and I have a few very odd friends.

4. Yes, direct contact with adequate body fluids, yes, including saliva, mucus, etc. causes transmission, but unless that contact is directly with your own mucous membranes, or broken skin it's pretty unlikely. Skin's pretty good at keeping things out.
ski holidays
under a new name, indeed good points but despite level 2 or level 4 protection and being health care professionals these people have still been infected, which may imply it is more infectious than thought.

Just saying.
latest report
Putting our own "risk" aside I have to say I have huge admiration for those going out there to help with the crisis. Such selflessness.

I signed an online petition weeks ago for greater intervention, glad the rest of the worlds authorities have decided to catch up. I'm not too concerned about it here as we have excellent products to sanitise.
snow report
there have to be questions asked about that texas hospital.

of course just like in this part of the world you can be sure that the hospital will devote their very considerable legal and public relations resources into blaming the nurses themselves for getting infected and absolve any blame from hospital itself.

however one would think the best course of action now would be to transfer both infected nurses to atlanta and quarantine all staff in Texas who had any contact with either of these nurses or the patient Thomas Duncan, with or without personal protective gear
snow report
under a new name,

People sneeze & cough a lot at this time of the year When seasons change. Bacteria spreads rapidly from this.

WC on planes are not disinfected after each visit. People touch taps, handrails.

Scientists have discovered 300 new mutations of the Ebola virus.

By tbe sound of it you do not take hygene very seriously.
ski holidays
stanton, I take hygiene (sic) quite seriously. It sounds as though you don't take science very seriously.
ski holidays
stanton,
Quote:
Bacteria spreads rapidly from this.
Ebola is a virus, dickhead.
Quote:
Scientists have discovered 300 new mutations of the Ebola virus
Well at least here you are talking about viruses. You have links to this profound piece of news?
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Scientists have discovered 300 new mutations of the Ebola virus.

This is not '300 different strains of the virus', but merely 300 genetic differences between the current strain of the virus and previous ones. The number is not alarming or unexpected; ebolavirus mutates at a significantly lower rate than, say, influenza, and the observed rate lies in the usual range for RNA viruses. It certainly does not imply that it is about to mutate into a superplague and kill us all. (consider that influenza A mutates faster and spreads more easily, and we have closer contact with a far larger number of reservoir animals, and yet we are coming up on the centary of spanish flu without having experienced another pandemic that killed tens of millions of people.)

If you're interested, there's a brief look at ebola genomics tracking some of the recent history of the virus here: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/345/6202/1369.full
Dry reading, though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy