Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norrona trollveggen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Just looking for anyone who has this jacket or even anyone with any knowledge about it? Looking into buying it for next season but wanted some opinions on it before I put the money down on it! Couple of concerns about the no powder skirt or lift pass pocket? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never had a lift pass pocket. Why would I want one? Mostly hands free these days. (Actually, I'd quite like one only because the RFID antennae are typically on the left and higher up than my trouser pockets,

I always thought a snow skirt was essential until I acquired my most recent jacket. Which doesn't have one and whose lack has never worried me (~140 days in it, including considerable powder). I won't worry about that ever again.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wink Each to their own.

I'd have said a lift pass pocket is a bit old school, but if you want one, then you need to find a coat with one.

Snow skirts I like, although perhaps not in the same sort of places you'd be using a lift pass pocket. I have tried riding without one and in the depths of scummy winter at least I'm happiest with a snow skirt. In fact the ones which zip to the trousers are best, although I think Volcom spoiled that for everyone.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig, I suspect the snow skirt issue is partially predicated on how your kit is cut. Baggy jackets and low slung pants a la park rat is going to result in a snowy crack no matter where you are.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As for someone who made this mistake last year when I bought a climbing jacket from Mammut (only to be used for skiing), I would steer clear. Why? Main reason is that they are shorter than skiing jackets.

I have no doubt that the jacket will last forever, and they are (as with most Norrøna products), exceptionally well made, but it is not intended for skiing - hence the lack of a ski key card pocket, powder skirt, wrist gaitors, etc.

A better option is the Lofoten. Slightly cheaper, and more suited to what you are after.

But, if you want the Trollvegen, then go for it Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lilledonmarco, why do you want a longer skinjacket than a climbing one? Given good range of motion while skiing, I personally like a similar cut to a climbing jacket.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a Norrona Lofoten. Used for the first time in last weekend's rain. One of the tabs at then end of an elastic cord came off, marooning the cord inside the jacket hood.

Not what I would expect from a 'high end' brand.

Nicely waterproof and lime green, though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harry Flashman, you should contact them. Being a high end brand doesn't prevent problems but they are usually much better at making their customers happy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
I've never had a lift pass pocket. Why would I want one? Mostly hands free these days. (Actually, I'd quite like one only because the RFID antennae are typically on the left and higher up than my trouser pockets,

I had a weird issue at one point last season due to my avalanche beacon harness position being directly underneath the pockets of the jacket and salopettes I was wearing. The induction loop for the ski pass caused significant interference with beacon transmission. Was a bit of a fiddle to fix at the time. Admittedly, that's not exactly a common problem wink A chest pocket would have been fine.

under a new name wrote:
Lilledonmarco, why do you want a longer skinjacket than a climbing one?

Because when you're skiing, its nice to have a decent amount of overlap between your trews and your jacket, to make it less likely you'll get snow all up inside everything? I solve that problem using salopettes (at least in cold weather), because you tend to pay a silly premium for jackets with skiing-oriented features. That said, if you're not spending all day up to your crotch in powder and you're not falling over all the time, normal trousers and normal jacket is all you really need.

When you're climbing, you mostly want stuff clear of your harness, right? But for that, your jacket could be cut lower without interfering with your movement, unless you've got ballet-dancer like flexibility (which seems uncommon in winter climbers...)

Also, longer jackets keep your arse drier/warmer in bad weather, always a bonus.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serriadh, while I get that,

a. I have a short back compared to other dimensions so maybe the comment reflects my own requirements

b. I want a jacket I can comfortably wear skiing and skiing with a harness.

I also don't see that mountaineering cut jackets are so short that there'll be a gap, for most people, even with normal back lengths. Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Climbing jackets are cut slightly shorter due to the fact that their should be room for a backpack - and the positions of the pockets reflect that.

I have a long torso, so climbing jackets are just too short for me. I like a ski jacket to actually almost cover my pretty rear Happy

A final thing to consider is that the fabric used on the trollvegen is much stiffer than the lofoten. The upside is that its pretty much bulletproof.

Have you tried it on?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lilledonmarco, not sure any places local to me stock this jacket! So can't try it before I order which is annoying
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a Trollveggan. I put the ski pass in the chest pocket. It works fine other than when passing through kid height readers, a squat is then often required. No snow skirt is a non issue. I had an Arcteryx Sidewinder SV previously. The Sidewinder was probably better thought out and possibly slightly better built. However, the Trollveggan looks better, has a more athletic fit, comes in trendier colours and Norrona kit is very 'now'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski wrote:
I have a Trollveggan. I put the ski pass in the chest pocket. It works fine other than when passing through kid height readers, a squat is then often required. No snow skirt is a non issue. I had an Arcteryx Sidewinder SV previously. The Sidewinder was probably better thought out and possibly slightly better built. However, the Trollveggan looks better, has a more athletic fit, comes in trendier colours and Norrona kit is very 'now'.

Thanks for the reply! What's the length of the jacket like?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spot on IMV. Long enough, I tend to tug the waist elastic and keep it hitched up a touch.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
Spot on IMV. Long enough, I tend to tug the waist elastic and keep it hitched up a touch.

Sweet thanks for that! Will order it when size comes back in stock! What midlayers do you use with it? Was thinking maybe a synthetic down but not sure whether it will be to much.
snow conditions
A couple of Merino base and a thin fleece if cold. I have a Narvik Warm3 jacket, but its too hot to ever wear! Razz
snow report
"probably better thought out and possibly slightly better built" = No

"looks better, has a more athletic fit, comes in trendier colours and ... is very 'now' " = Yes

I'm glad we have our priorities straight. There's little that keeps you warm on an unexpectedly stationary chairlift in a howler than the warm inner glow of knowing you're in with the "in" crowd.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
"probably better thought out and possibly slightly better built" = No

"looks better, has a more athletic fit, comes in trendier colours and ... is very 'now' " = Yes

I'm glad we have our priorities straight. There's little that keeps you warm on an unexpectedly stationary chairlift in a howler than the warm inner glow of knowing you're in with the "in" crowd.

Come on - bright colours do have a value , especially in off-piste rescue and in the more mundane world of keeping family groups together in crowded resort skiing. And "How often does that happen ?" doesn't matter - it only needs to happen once to make you wish it never happens again. I have been told that the best selling ski Jacket from the Ellis Brigham ski catalogue is a The North Face jacket in ninja black - thank goodness we have more choice.
latest report
mishmash, Did I get a bite? If you've been paying attention elsewhere, you'll have noticed that a key reason for the choice of my jacket was colour.
snow report
under a new name, how do you think I pick all of my kit?

I'm never lost by my friends. Who have to wear sunglasses to look at me, admittedly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy