Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warth?

Poster: A snowHead
Possibly looking at Warth as somewhere different to try next winter. Has anybody been since the link to Lech and Zurs opened?

If so:

- Does the connecting lift generate bad queues?

- Is it possible to get to the St Anton slopes by bus from Warth? Or is a car required?

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there this April, queues seemed fine. Not sure you can get to St Anton via bus from Warth. you'd have to take the lift to Lech and get the bus back to St Anton.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks kitenski. If we do end up there, we could just hire a car to save faffing about with transfers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, some queuing, maybe 5 mins most, in Jan and Feb 2014. As for road access, I am sure, the road linking Warth with Lech, Zurs and St. Anton, is closed by snow throughout the winter, never snow ploughed. Thus the winter road access from/to Warth is from Bregenz or Munich directions, a long way round to/from St. Anton! Post Buses from/to St. Anton terminate/start at Lech. Askitenski, says, realistically it's a case of skiing/lift down to Lech for taxi or bus. You can connect to the St. Anton ski area at Alpe Rauz, before St. Anton.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, not sure how things are now, but before the lift was added, they did not clear the road - it was closed all winter. Maybe worth checking with the ÖAMTC what the current strategy is for winter opening of that road before you commit yourselves.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, I don't know if this is still an issue, but last Christmas the lift was closed so much with teething problems that it was difficult to get across. Think we waited about three days before we could get over. That was at the start of the season so may have been fixed since then, I'm sure someone else here knows
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue wrote:
mountainaddict, not sure how things are now, but before the lift was added, they did not clear the road - it was closed all winter. Maybe worth checking with the ÖAMTC what the current strategy is for winter opening of that road before you commit yourselves.

If you've driven that road it's obvious why it doesn't open - deep in a gorge crossed by multiple avy paths. If plowing and bussing were an easy option I think they'd have done so before a new lift. Not to say Lech doesn't like the exclusivity of being end of the road of course.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes, more often than not the reason for not keeping a road open between 2 villages comes down to something as mundane as sharing the costs between communities. This particular corner of the Austrian Alps almost sees itself as a separate entity any way and isolation was one way of protecting their culture from the Viennese Zurichers, etc.

We have a road here in my community that is not cleared at all during the winter because the two villages at either end have argued for donkey's years about who pays the lion's share. If the will is there and the communities see a mutual benefit, then they would secure the road, summer or winter. Lech does not need the road open and Warth was happy in its own winter wonderland, so there was no resolution. Far worse sections of road are kept open elsewhere in the Alps because the locals can see a benefit. There's nowt so queer as mountain folk when you really look at things! Toofy Grin rolling eyes wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, know it well stayed there last season, great week skiing (even if conditions were crap late season). Love the place, just booked again for end February. PM me if you want any points clarifying re transport/ off piste/ accom etc, its a brilliant place, love it to bits, fantastic lifts, lowfi après, all German speaking, very few Brits and just like the Alps used to be, super quiet, cheaper and epic powder booked for next season! You'll not be disappointed if you go. Tough skiing, lots of powder stashes!

By the way you can't drive between Warth and Lech in winter, the road is closed and its in a high avalanche area, drive it in summer and you'll see why! You need to drive into Warth from either Bludenz in the west or from Reutte on the Munich side on the east, its a 3-4 hour round trip by car to Lech (on proper winter condition roads) in winter.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29, Sounds like Warth is worth it.... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup, I have only seen the road open once in February in 12 years. I think it might have been 2006 or 2007. A very low snow year.

In any case, another vote for Warth. Very chilled atmosphere. Big contrast to the rest of the Arlberg... except perhaps for Stuben. Plenty of north-facing slopes and powder stashes. Food at a fraction of the price compared to the other end of the Auenfeldjet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again everyone. It's starting to sound quite enticing - though self catering digs are coming up a lot more expensive than we paid in the Gastein Valley last Jan.

However, we could yet be away (next Jan) for Mrs MA's birthday - so, if so, we might just push the boat out and lash out on a nice hotel.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, some friends of ours stayed one village down from Warth and said it was a lot cheaper..........and just a 5-10min drive up in the morning.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, Staying in Warth is not cheap! I had a week last season at Warth/Schrocken before the link and stayed at the Hotel Lechtalerhof. Very nice standard, superb room and food, but pricey really. Consider staying in Schrocken, or even a little further down the valley, as the prices for accommodation will be better and the road up to Schrocken is not at all busy even in high season. Some half decent skiing in Warth, and a great record of snow depth per season (11-13 metres per annum)
The road from Warth to Lech is always closed in season. And the long way round is an hour and a half journey time, even though on the map it looks not a lot the route is over the mountains via Raggal, Dammuls etc. Don't do it, it's not worth it.
I skied Lech late this season and had no difficulties with queues either side of the Auenfeldjet lift. (Just had difficulties with the south facing pistes running out of slush/mud!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, skimastaaah, It doesnt have to be expensive 78€pppn half board is where we stay 50m from main lift base station.
snow conditions
Does anybody know if a bus runs to the cross country loops?
snow report
musher wrote:
Does anybody know if a bus runs to the cross country loops?

From where to which loops?

Bus from St Anton, near Mooserwirt, to the Verwall.
Loop in St Christoph starts near the village, so Linie 92 from either Zurs/lech or StA
Loop in Zug starts in village, so Blue Bus from Lech
Etc, etc
ski holidays
With the new lift It is possible to get to St Anton but it would be long trip. If your going to base yourself in Warth I would stick to the slopes there & Lech & Zurs & maybe one long day out to St Anton.
You have to plan because of the connectting lift closure times. Also the new Lift can be affected by wind & get closed down at any time.

If you get stuck in St Anton to get back to Warth without Taxi, it is a long trip, you take the Train to Dornbirn Bahnhof & then the Bus to Warth via Schrocken
snow report
ulmerhutte,

that's a yes then wink

I was specifically thinking of the ones listed on the Warth/Schroecken web site:

Kalbelesee cross-country ski trail
Simmel cross-country ski trail
Jägeralpe cross-country ski trail
Falkenkopf / Körbersee cross-country ski trail
snow conditions
musher, Yes, bus goes up and down from Warth to Schroeken all day and the places you describe are on this route I believe.
snow conditions
Markymark29,
Thanks
ski holidays
I don't understand why you would want to ski in St Anton but stay in Warth . . . Puzzled

You will have plenty to ski without trekking all that way over to St A and then have the added concern about getting back to make the lift back to Warth, surely if you want to ski St A then stay there?
latest report
northantsred, Agreed, its too far to get much futher than Lech/ Zurs and back in the day and do it justice. We generally have a 2 weeker, stay week one in Warth, the second in St Anton.
latest report
Stuben, small characterful village, cheaper accommodation than others, St. Anton ski area. Bus links to Lech and Zurs and closer to them than St Anton, makes day visit to Warth more practical. 10 mins by bus to Zurs then into the ski area above Lech on your way to Warth. Very Happy
ski holidays
davidthornton, Yep, very doable Stuben to Warth for the day and a good few runs in Warth but a long shlep over to St A and back if you staying in Warth and do much skiing in St A.......... also Stuben not that cheap IME you any recommendations for 3*ish Pension/ b&b's in Stuben? Had my eye on Willis Pilstube a couple of years ago but before the smoking ban it was a smoky nightmare, dont know if its any better since?
snow conditions
Markymark29, this is where the guy from Glide and Slide stays in Stuben.

Sporthotel Arlberg http://www.arlberg-stuben.at/

Oh and ask if they do any packages, a lot of Austrian places will do a package price inc a lift pass which usually works out much cheaper
snow report
Quote:
I don't understand why you would want to ski in St Anton but stay in Warth
A simple explanation: 'Cos I thought it was on the lift pass (er, is it?) and was nearby - and (despite having skied at St Anton, Lech and Zuers a few years ago) hadn't comprehended the logistics and the closed-road-in-winter carry on rolling eyes.

Anyway, the update is that having done more research - including a good write up in Where to Ski and Snowboard 2014 edition on Bregenzerwald - we may stay further down the valley at somewhere like Au or Schoppernau. Accommodation is loads cheaper, you can get a lift pass covering 29 resorts (!!), including Warth, Lech and Zuers, and all are within easy striking distance by hire car.
snow report
mountainaddict, if you decide to stay in Au or Schoppernau why not visit Damuels. It is quite big with some great views:

http://www.bergfex.com/damuels/

I also like the look of smaller Diedamskopf
http://www.bergfex.com/diedamskopf/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, Decent plan, albeit be careful when you drive between the smaller Bregenzerwald resorts and Warth Schroeken, its a very steep narrow road and closes in bad weather, make sure you've got all the kit on your hire car, its a 300+ mile round trip if the road gets blocked by snow falling whilst you are up at Warth for the day, worse still if you get stuck on way back.
snow conditions
kitenski, Thanks, been there for food before, decent Italian underneath I recall, will have a look. Prefer smaller places really, agree Pauschalenwoche all-in deals can be good in non-peak season weeks (when we tend to go outside main holiday weeks).

You in Stuben next season btw?.......... thinking of going Week 1 March after a week in Warth but may decide on Montafon/ Bregenzerwald for a change of area. Idea of Stuben is an attractive one, keen to get a week in there before they develop Rauz station with new lift up Albona1/2 which will likely have knock-on effects of flooding Albona with folks and compromise OP opportunities. Plus could change Stuben by more development in town.
ski holidays
yeh should be there Easter Tuesday for a week....
ski holidays
Markymark29, have you got details on the development of Albona 1/2?
latest report
davidthornton wrote:
Markymark29, have you got details on the development of Albona 1/2?

Nothing is hapening for this season but it is likely to be the last before they start the development wink wink

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110527
snow conditions
@ mountainaddict : i am not 100% sure, but i think you mean the 3taeller pass.
This card is for all of the ski resorts in the area but i think does NOT include Lech. You get a discount but its not 100% incl.
Check out here
http://www.3taeler.at/de/skigebiete/skigebiete

On the other hand, if you want to stay near Warth, and visit Lech, then by my opinion its much better to stay from the other side of Warth-Schröcken.
You could find some good accom. option in Steeg, Hagerau, Holzgau etc...
snow conditions
Thanks for all the helpful tips and info folks! Seems like we have a few options to look at. Cheers Very Happy.

That ski map link is very interesting turms - it shows 41 ski areas compared to the 29 mentioned in the text on the Ski Bregenzerwald website. I'm intrigued by the position re. Warth/Lech/Zuers. The website says that the Lechtal (Lech Valley for non-German speakers) is included on the area pass - which is misleading (if not a bit of a con) if a ticket covering the Lech Valley doesn't actually include Lech rolling eyes. I'm also puzzled that Warth is Linked to Lech by lift but isn't covered by the lift ticket. Or does that just apply to the area pass? If you buy a Warth day pass, does it include Lech and Zuers?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 13-08-14 20:29; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Hi, we stayed in Warth last March and had a fantastic week; the local skiing is very good and offers more than the piste map and stats suggest. Easy to link into Lech/Zurs and we experienced no issues with the link lift that others have reported. To ski St Anton is feasible but you'd only get maybe three hours in before needing to head back. We drove out and took in a day at Mellau/Damuls on the way to Warth which is well worth a couple of days at least. Shame that the Bregenzerwald 3 valleys pass doesn't cover Lech; staying in Warth you need to choose one or the other. If you want to try the 3 valleys pass then Warth isn't the ideal place to stay, but for Lech & Zurs it's great.
latest report
Cheers BJP! My amended post above crossed in cyberspace with your note of clarification. All is now clear re. lift tickets Smile.
snow conditions
@ mountainaddict : well... Lechtal is not EXACTLY Lech and Zürs.
Is the valley with the villages i mentioned : Steeg, Hagerau, Holzgau etc...

according to Warth web site :

1. Tickettarife 1 bis 2 ½ Tage
Warth Schröcken.
14 Anlagen & 60 km Pisten und Skirouten

So a Warth ski pass for 1 day does not cover Lech Zürs.

2. Tickettarife ab 2 ½ Tage 3 TälerPass.
Gültig in Warth-Schröcken und weiteren 28 Skigebieten im Bregenzerwald, Tiroler Lechtal & Großes Walsertal.

But Lechtal i think is not Lech Zurs

3. Tickettarife Ski Arlberg
Gültig bei 94 Liften & Bahnen sowie 340 Skiabfahrtskilometer in Warth-Schröcken, Lech Zürs, St. Anton, St. Christoph und Stuben, Klösterle/Sonnenkopf.

So, i think only the option 3 is for Warth-Schröcken, Lech Zürs etc.
You have to buy Ski Arlberg pass.

You could find more info here
http://www.warth-schroecken.at/de/

klick where it says Tariffe

I think you are comfused because the sites does not explain exactly...
Obviously as Lechtal they mean Tiroler Lechtal. And Lech & Zürs are in Vorlarlberg.

My opinion : if you want to visit Lech every day, then Arlberg Ski pass is the only choice.
If you want to visit Lech only one day then take 3täller Ski Pass. Visit Lech at first day. IF you like it, then buy Arlberg ski pas for the rest days. If not, then buy 3täller for the next days.

greetins from Stuttgart
ski holidays
Simples?! Shocked Shocked

It seems that a degree in rocket science may be required by those of us who are unfamiliar with the local geography! Toofy Grin

Good luck Mountainaddict!
ski holidays
Quote:
It seems that a degree in rocket science may be required by those of us who are unfamiliar with the local geography!
Or, dare I suggest, in geography wink....Fancy me assuming that Lech is in the Lech Valley of all places Embarassed! They'll be telling me that there's a lake at Zell am See next Laughing !
Quote:
My opinion : if you want to visit Lech every day, then Arlberg Ski pass is the only choice. If you want to visit Lech only one day then take 3täller Ski Pass. Visit Lech at first day. IF you like it, then buy Arlberg ski pas for the rest days. If not, then buy 3täller for the next days.
But I thought Lech isn't on the 3Taeller ski pass turms Puzzled So how can we ski there on day 1 with a 3T pass? Or, if we were starting from Warth, I thought it's been said that we couldn't even get to Lech to buy a one day pass there (with the road being shut in winter) and a one day Warth pass not covering Lech:~/....

The Warth website is definitely a bit misleading IMO. It boasts:
Quote:
A dream comes true! After 41 long years, the wish has finally been granted: The ski areas Warth-Schröcken and Lech Zürs are now connected by the Auenfeldjet.
BUT it doesn't make it clear that only 2.5 day or longer ski passes are valid for the link to Lech! Imagine going to say Tignes and being prevented from skiing to Val D'Isere because you only have a 2 day lift ticket! Can there be any other ski area with such an absolutely shocking - if not completely outrageous - lift ticket situation?

Anyway, I'm glad all this has come to light now as it completely changes my holiday options and planning - to the extent that I am now minded to throw a strop, fling all my toys from the pram in a temper tantrum Mad and not give Warth/Lech/Zuers my custom at all.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 14-08-14 12:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy