Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Happens to Expats Brits if the UK leaves the EU.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yellow Pyranha, to expand in case of confusion the citizens of Northern Ireland don't automatically 'get both' nationalities, they are automatically British (*if born before 1983, or if later, if born to at least one British parent) but as a consequence of the Good Friday Agreement will be guaranteed Irish nationality too if they request it (and renounce British if they wish). This is what I meant by having the right to choose one or both, and of course this is something both countries agreed. The effective change in Irish territory is an interesting one, but perhaps best ignored here.

Given the present lack of Scottish terrorism or other bargaining chips, I'm not sure why the UK government would want to negotiate something similar again, although in the Scottish context they would be playing the part of Ireland offering citizenship to foreigners (as Lloyd George told the Irish in 1921, 'you're either British subjects or foreigners; you can't be both so which is it?').

However, as foreign births, your Irish relatives (if under 60 or so) would have to apply for British citizenship listing their parents or grandparents; citizenship isn't automatic, and of course many Northern Irish people also have a claim to Irish citizenship through their ancestors who were 'Irish' through living in the North before partition. An application this way would be treated no differently though to someone born in Spain to British parents.

Belfast born, and with grandparents also born there but 'on the island of Ireland' before 1921, I qualified twice (as many Northern Irish folk would) so applied and received Irish citizenship about fifteen years ago. Somewhat conversely, my parents then applied afterwards.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Belfast born, and with grandparents also born there but 'on the island of Ireland' before 1921, I qualified twice (as many Northern Irish folk would) so applied and received Irish citizenship about fifteen years ago. Somewhat conversely, my parents then applied afterwards.

Were there practical advantages to having Irish citizenship or was it about political/national affiliation? I'm not stirring, just curious.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dogwatch, not political at all, quite the opposite really!
There are apparently some advantages around visas but nothing I've tried. As a second EU nationality it's clearly not as dramatic a difference as say Australian citizenship.

For me, I simply had a bad experience after having a passport stolen; it really messed up forthcoming trips as you can imagine, so having a spare seemed useful.

Now that I live in France it's come into its own though. The French seem to turn their noses up at 'the English' but they all have at least one cousin who has visited Ireland and loves it... True story, I've experienced it almost daily from hospitals to just with random clients at work.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
albinomountainbadger, I don't understand why you had to 'apply' for Irish citizenship. I simply applied for a passport (I'm UK born) and received it; all I had to do was provide evidence of identity and entitlement to citizenship/nationality/passport, much as I had done previously for a British passport. The 'on the island' qualification for Irish citizenship applies to all births prior to 2005, not 1921, according to gov.ie so as you were NI born, you should not have needed any further evidence than a birth certificate.

Lloyd George was clearly wrong if he said that, since British law doesn't prohibit dual nationality, so loads of people are British and foreign at the same time (eg an ex girlfriend born in Oz while her parents were there as UK expats has both nationalities).

Does this need to 'apply' for citizenship mean that I was neither a British citizen (as I was born of foreign parents), nor an Irish citizen (as I was born outside Ireland) until I applied and was granted each citizenship? Which I don't recall ever doing, unless you consider applying for a passport to be applying for citizenship. What if I had never 'applied'?

Each country's nationality law is surely their own affair rather than a matter of negotiation with other nations, and (to get a nearer the question) I don't think that Scotland leaving the UK would be any reason for the UK to change its nationality laws. In the Irish case, I would suggest that the threat of terrorism would have been a strong argument for passing a law preventing Irish people from holding British passports since that would have allowed the imposition of restrictions on movement across the border, but the 'grandfather' rule remains in place (for everyone, not just the Irish).

So, I don't think that British citizens currently outside the UK, but who will qualify for Scottish citizenship (should we vote "Yes") will be affected - they will still be British citizens. Unless the UK government chooses to spend parliament's time debating a bill to strip those who accept Scottish nationality of their British nationality - how would they police that, and with all those Scots in England (including Scots as MPs in English constituencies) could it be passed anyway?

dogwatch, my having an Irish passport is for practical reasons - it is sometimes, depending on exchange rates, cheaper than a British one, and in the old days I could go to the embassy in London and my passport was processed within a week. It also annoys one of my brothers-in-law, and that's worthwhile.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes in this context I mix applying for a passport in with applying for citizenship, I appreciate that they aren't the same thing but as you point out only proof of entitlement to citizenship is required for the forms, one doesn't actually need to undergo a naturalisation process and the ceremony with shiny certificates and flags.

Whatever you're making reference to in 2005 must be a further good Friday Agreement thing because I remember very clearly the 1921 stipulation when I did my own, my gran having been born a year or too beforehand. I don't have the forms to hand, but if they've changed since it's irrelevant anyway.

We may be entitled to many citizenships as a result of birth or marriage, but I don't think you 'have' them until you have applied for a passport or such as proof. If something went awry in a foreign land and you phoned the Irish consulate saying your grandad is from Dublin so they have to help you, I doubt they'd move with the same sense of urgency as if you'd flown in with an Irish passport.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a red of this book

Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU

by

David Charter

Investors will lose

http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2014/06/04/investors-will-lose-out-if-the-uk-leaves-the-eu/

Wreck the City of London

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/27/uk-britain-europe-idUKBREA3Q00A20140427
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think this is the first thread I have read from start to finish here on SH, and it's got nothing to do with skiing at all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
also make sure you all read

'what will happen if the u.k leaves the ERM' - by a.n idiot/economist

'what will happen when we enter Y2K' - by a. n idiot/alarmist

'what will happen if Britain doesn't sign up to the euro' - a.n.other idiot/economist

'er..those 3mln jobs i predicted the u.k will lose in 2003, i've since retracted but people still quote it' - a.berk

'Follow the money. More flows out of the U.K to the EU than flows in. That's all you need to know'

Calm down everyone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Don't worry about those asteroids, they always miss" - by a dinosaur.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21652356-even-if-britain-votes-leave-eu-its-european-migrants-may-stick-around-what-will-become?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/st/whatwillbecomeofthem
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think they turn back into pumkins
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like the Americans will choose your destiny Happy as they did also to Greece !

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b3b93ed4-31d0-11e5-8873-775ba7c2ea3d.html#axzz3go9PwPI2

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-33647154
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Who gives a Be Nice please!- I've got a SWISS permit Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nadenoodlee, woo hoo!! Champagne all rpuns!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Round!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy