Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Happens to Expats Brits if the UK leaves the EU.

Poster: A snowHead
No doubt there is a number of Ex Pats on this Forum who live in EU Ski Country......

http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.nl/2014/05/what-happens-to-british-expatriates-if.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dutch blog writers will stop blogging in English?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That doesn't strike me as the most crucial question about what happens if the UK leaves the EU. There are loads of British expats in the USA and they weren't in the EU last time I looked.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yet another detail that hasn't been worked out. Similar to Scots if they voted no and actually did leave the UK.

Leaving the EU in a fashion that meant having to go back to individual treaties on foreign workers would be a bit of a mare. Not least for all the French working in London. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Patch wrote:
Dutch blog writers will stop blogging in English?

The Blogger

Steve Peers (editor of the blog; Professor of EU Law & Human Rights Law, University of Essex)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
That doesn't strike me as the most crucial question about what happens if the UK leaves the EU. There are loads of British expats in the USA and they weren't in the EU last time I looked.

Not sure what you are alluding to. British, EU or any Country even Canadians for that matter would need to apply for some kind of US Visa to Live & Work in the USA legally.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only visa you'll need to cross the channel in either direction is the one to pay your hotel bill.

Before the treaty of Maastricht, there was no such thing as P+O ferries or Townsend Thoresen. Any crossing of the channel in either direction was either an invasion force or D-Day.

Never seen or read so much BS in my life. Unsurprising, given that the dutch troll must spend hours seeking out such anti-British BS specially to post here, and has a 100% consistency rate at posting such BS.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It seemed to me a reasonable explanation of the problems/possibilities that might arise (mostly - I wasn't so impressed by the last few paragraphs). I didn't see anything particularly anti-British about it (again excepting the last paragraphs). Can't say I'm giving too much thought to the matter - I expect I'll be dead before there is any practical effect Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If we leave the EU we will join EFTA and our position will be much like the Swiss and Norwegians. The UK will then get what was voted for under Heath, A common Market and not be a part of the Common Politics etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Free_Trade_Association
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
Yet another detail that hasn't been worked out. Similar to Scots if they voted no and actually did leave the UK.

I think you mean if we vote 'Yes' and don't get virtually instant membership.

However you forget that all potential Scottish Citizens who are working elsewhere in the EU by virtue of being British Citizens (or citizens of another EU country) will almost certainly still be citizens of the UK (or wherever) post independence. I know Theresa May has suggested that those accepting Scottish Citizenship might lose British Citizenship, but I really can't see that happening - that really was one of the sillier comments from the 'No' campaign.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy, Touched a nerve ??

I can 100% guarantee that a UK exit will NOT come without repercussions.

You can bury your head in the sand but for many it could be a big issue.

Harking back to old wars (we have moved on since then) or brushing it off as if the UK will get a Swiss, Norwegian style arrangement is fantasy

It is something that will have to be explained at sometime & the Blogger is trying to do just that Very Happy

and one other thing, it is not the English Channel and Straits of Dover.

Manche et Pas de Calais Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 4-08-14 18:36; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yellow Pyranha, i might indeed. I haven't seen anything that gives any guidance as to what would happen to "Scots" should Scotland cede from the UK. I don't think the French or Germans believed that anyone would want to disassociate themselves from their munificence, so there's nothing in the relevant treaties to facilitate it!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyhoo, off topic I predict Scotland ending up with a de facto Devo Max no matter how the vote comes out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Anyhoo, off topic I predict Scotland ending up with a de facto Devo Max no matter how the vote comes out.

That would require Westminster keeping a promise.... I don't see that happening any time soon Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feef, i didn't they'd made any promises? At least not with out fingers crossed behinds collective backs...
snow conditions
What's wrong with having to get a visa or residency permit to live in, or travel to, another country? Yes, you might have to plan further ahead, be subject to a quota system, or not even be granted one, but if it's the same for everyone, then what's the problem?
latest report
skinanny wrote:
What's wrong with having to get a visa or residency permit to live in, or travel to, another country? Yes, you might have to plan further ahead, be subject to a quota system, or not even be granted one, but if it's the same for everyone, then what's the problem?

Inconvenience. Reduced career choices if you are a wage slave. Reduced hiring choices if you are an employer. Bloody bureaucracy to deal with. "Being the same for everyone" does not make me feel better about such prospects.
snow report
stanton wrote:
No doubt there is a number of Ex Pats on this Forum who live in EU Ski Country......

http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.nl/2014/05/what-happens-to-british-expatriates-if.html

I'm sure half would get citizenship via grant and the other half don't give a poo-poo.
snow conditions
Poo-poo??!! since when did my 4 year old do the swearing replacement wording here Very Happy St Anton, you're a poo poo head.
ski holidays
I could always use the other half of my dual nationality... wink
latest report
Dot. wrote:
I'm sure

Nothing is sure in fact it is totally unclear, undecided & not even discussed.

Referendum proxy votes from ExPats may become quite relevent.
snow report
here is the funny thing....
UK has about 2 million ex-pats in EU (mainly Spain) and roughly 2 million immigrants.

leaving EU would be a total disaster.
UKIP and Davey Cameron haven't really thought about it properly.
ski holidays
I'll worry when the UK leaves EU *and* ceases to be a member of the European Space Agency (which is totally different to EU). And then I'll take early retirement.
But given that both Labour and Conservatives popped in extra cash to the kitty for that, to guarantee launcher access, and to win big money contracts for UK based parts of Airbus... it's going to need a financial crash on a scale several times larger than that that we've just had, and/or Farridge winning a majority in the next election. There'll be somewhere cheap to escape to.
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
UK has about 2 million ex-pats in EU (mainly Spain) and roughly 2 million immigrants.

According to EuroStat (officially registered expats ) it is around 2.5M so it could be a lot higher!!

Haggis_Trap wrote:
leaving EU would be a total disaster.
UKIP and Davey Cameron haven't really thought about it properly.

The Germans have been trying to explain this to Dave (ever since the exit subject came up) but he has not been able or failed so far to
explain this to the British people instead he has leaned towards the popularist UKIP voter promising a referendum which would be a disaster
for the UK.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 4-08-14 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
feef wrote:
under a new name wrote:

That would require Westminster keeping a promise.... I don't see that happening any time soon Wink

What the Westminster parties have promised doesn't even come close to devo-max, Labour's proposals have become known as 'devo-nano'! (sorry going more off topic I know)...
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
If we leave the EU we will join EFTA and our position will be much like the Swiss and Norwegians. The UK will then get what was voted for under Heath, A common Market and not be a part of the Common Politics etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Free_Trade_Association

Using EFTA to remain in the single European Economic Area, means you still have to implement every EU directive, but have absolutely no say in these directives.
snow report
Quote:

promising a referendum which would be a disaster
for the UK.

A referendum does not have any certain answer and removing the doubt as to what the British people want and a lot of the pandering to quasi nationalist nutters may well be very good for the UK.

I am pro EU but not completely anti referendum.
ski holidays
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
However you forget that all potential Scottish Citizens who are working elsewhere in the EU by virtue of being British Citizens (or citizens of another EU country) will almost certainly still be citizens of the UK (or wherever) post independence. ....

Why?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

leaving EU would be a total disaster.......

Why? I am not sure if I wish the UK to leave the EU, but I don't see that it would be a disaster, either. As for the expats - they'd sure be a subject for negotiation. My guess is that there would be no dire problem - after all, we had expats living in Europe before the EU existed.
ski holidays
Well this ex-pat is taking out German citizenship because I'm sick and tired of not being able to vote anywhere on anything significant.

Getting my passport renewed for a start is going to be a nightmare - it runs out on June 2016, so shall I send it off now? More than 50% of the back log is due to that pillock in No 10 and his Eton & Oxford buddy in No.11 stopping embassies and consulates abroad from renewing Ex-Pat passports and issuing new passports to British citizens born outside of the UK. Our applications are all the orange boxes you see in the photos in the Daily Fail etc.

For more or less the same price as getting my UK passport renewed, I can get German citizenship and an ID that allows me to travel freely around all of the parts of Europe I want to visit and a few other places as well. If I need a passport, I just have to go to my local village/town hall and get one sorted out for way less than 100 Euros.

As I have no intention of ever returning to the UK on a permanent basis, it is silly to do otherwise. I will then of course vote to ensure all the foreigners pay massive tolls to drive on German roads, especially Dutch vehicles towing sodding caravans! wink
latest report
^ For sure the EU has perhaps become too big / bossy and bureaucratic.
However the benefits of free movement and trade surely outway any negatives ?
Plus a strong EU is good for standing up to China / Russia or for issues like climate change ?

Norway and CH can afford not be in the EU because they are *very* rich nations with strong currency. The UK however is not so rich, has a massive debt mountain and depends on trade with it neighbours.... IMHO they wouldn't do so well out of the EU ? The world is a changed place from 1970 and the Great Britian is no longer a super power or especially influential on the world stage.
snow report
and double tolls on Saturdays. Cos Dutch always drive the entire A3 only on Saturdays. DOn't want to miss a day's holiday or take an extra day or so off to avoid the saturday car caravan car caravan car caravan car caravan car caravan car caravan convoy.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
However you forget that all potential Scottish Citizens who are working elsewhere in the EU by virtue of being British Citizens (or citizens of another EU country) will almost certainly still be citizens of the UK (or wherever) post independence. ....

Why?

Well, the answer for those who also have citizenship of other countries is that Scottish independence will not affect the laws of those other countries (I mean, if you qualify for, say, German citizenship now, then changes in the UK will not change that).

For people who currently have only British citizenship, most will still qualify post independence, if only because their parents (or grandparents) were British Citizens (or Subjects). I suspect that any attempt to change the qualification for British citizenship would meet with significant difficulty in parliament. UK law currently has no issue with citizens holding dual nationality and any change to that position would affect a lot more people than 'the Scots'.
latest report
Can I also add to the "what" question also a "why" question. somebody mentioned EU being too big/bossy. What do you mean by that? What eu bureaucracy compares to in terms of size? Which policies you find bad/good? Is free movement of people, recognition of qualifications, food etc safety, trade weight, common market (food, services, energy, telecoms, financial services etc) a bad thing?
snow report
stanton wrote:
The Germans have been trying to explain this to Dave (ever since the exit subject came up) but he has not been able or failed so far to
explain this to the British people instead he has leaned towards the popularist UKIP voter promising a referendum which would be a disaster
for the UK.

You are missing the point entirely. The referendum promise was a device to hold the Conservative party together.

"Dave" is a UK digital TV channel which shows endless repeats of "Top Gear". "Dave" is intended to evoke cheerful working-class blokeishness. David Cameron is not a "Dave".
snow conditions
What happens to pensions?
latest report
mooney058, To answer your queries about the EU:

Free movement of goods and people is generally a good thing, but I fail to see why €142bn is needed to achieve that.
I don't see why the EU should have its own budget, other than to cover admin costs
I appreciate that there are many myths about the EU. Some true, some not. The story of the body bananas was, I believe true, but ignoring the daft ness of it what on earth was the EU doing getting involved in this area. Why are the EU now banning large vacuum cleaners?
We have an opt out to the working time directive, but what business is it of Brussels how many hours we wish to work?
Why does the EU need an external action service?
Why is the EU involved in issues of climate change?

Like many I was a great fan of the common market, but am less so of the EU as it currently is. I wish it was more democratic, more frugal, less corrupt, and remembered that it was the servant of its member nations and not their superior.

That's just a snippet of what irritates me about the EU. Do I want to leave the EU? No. But I would like it changed, and it astonishes me that so few other nations can see the faults of the EU.
ski holidays
DB wrote:

in what respect?
latest report
davidof wrote:
DB wrote:

in what respect?

As I understand it there is an agreement between various countries in Europe whereby Expats are credited for payments made in their homeland. I was wondering if this would be affected.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
mooney058, To answer your queries about the EU:

Free movement of goods and people is generally a good thing, but I fail to see why €142bn is needed to achieve that.
I don't see why the EU should have its own budget, other than to cover admin costs
I appreciate that there are many myths about the EU. Some true, some not. The story of the body bananas was, I believe true, but ignoring the daft ness of it what on earth was the EU doing getting involved in this area. Why are the EU now banning large vacuum cleaners?
We have an opt out to the working time directive, but what business is it of Brussels how many hours we wish to work?
Why does the EU need an external action service?
Why is the EU involved in issues of climate change?

Like many I was a great fan of the common market, but am less so of the EU as it currently is. I wish it was more democratic, more frugal, less corrupt, and remembered that it was the servant of its member nations and not their superior.

That's just a snippet of what irritates me about the EU. Do I want to leave the EU? No. But I would like it changed, and it astonishes me that so few other nations can see the faults of the EU.

Thanks for this, but when it comes to the EU 'banning' something - your source of information are newspapers? The last time i checked, every time 'banning' story was inflated, and after checking the wording of the legal instrument, journalists/politicians simply made a story of it... Working time directive - does it apply to private or public sectors edit - I checked, indeed, it applies to both private and public sectors, although i did not check all the details and how it is meant to be implemented? EU budget is to cover admin budget and policies EU administer. The biggest outdated policy that EU does is agricultural policy, which 1/3 of the total budget. On climate change, I believe the EU is the best placed to start global discussions and take some actions. To me the EU is better placed to withstand lobby from industry and defend public interest. All of EU's policies should be revisited on a permanent basis, but I doubt US or UK regulators would had a chance to defend public interests against microsoft, google, gazprom et al.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 5-08-14 10:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy