Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Bourg en Bresse or around Lyon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys, have done the journey to Tignes going around Lyon on the 432, but I see the Bourg en Bresse/Annecy route has its supporters. BeB route is slightly shorter but AA/Michelin etc all go via Lyon 432. Bearing in mind we will be doing an overnighter and avoiding crowds, is one better than the other at certain times of day/night?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I now almost always go via Bourg en Bresse. IIRC it is slightly more expensive on tolls. Having been caught by rush hour traffic around Lyon at 7:00 in the morning and again coming back at 18:00 the lesser traffic makes the route down to Satolas much nicer. However, I have use the A6 when snow made the Voges a bit more tricky.
Generally the traffic in Annecy and around the lake makes what appears a short route direct to Albertville very slow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ plus you get to eat chicken and chips at the Poule de Bresse service station...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The more people that go via Bourg en Bresse and Annecy the better Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, +1

The Lyon route is much better since the 432 extension to Mionnay. For the alternative scenic route, I sometimes go through Aix Les Bains and Bugey.

Will be using the 432 on Wednesday though and hoping for a change of weather for the next few weeks in Tignes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to go via Bourg en Bresse but since the A432 via Lyon airport opened I take that route as it seems a bit quicker and bypassing Lyon means no traffic problems.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
432 (allows me to do some planespotting!) and I find it easier towards the end of the long drag from Zeebrugge
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway, Ha, yes indeed, I was busy plane spotting (theres also train spotting opportunities if you are quick, along there and nearly missed a speed camera car under one of the over bridge supports, fortunately I was doing just under the speed limit. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I might change route if you are all looking at the planes and not the road Toofy Grin

Surely mentioning Bourg en bresse is a bit confusing as from there you can go either along the A40 to Annecy or down to Lyon airport? The only reason you would not go through B en B is if you are going to stay on A6 to Lyon.

The options we use for the top part from Dijon are either A6 to just north of Macon and cut across to B en B or A39 to B on B. Then depending on where we are going we either take A40 or A432. For the Tarentaise I would choose the A432.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

but since the A432 via Lyon airport opened

Shhhhhhhhh - don't tell everyone about it! As it's not particularly well signed and many maps/sat-navs aren't updated I'm always pleasently surprised how quiet it is. Can we keep it that way please wink

Tried the BeB route a couple of times, didn't like it, found it dull and fewer places to stop, but that's personal preference I guess.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can do both on my way to Serre Chevalier. wink . 432 then BenB avoids Villefranche tolls which can be busy if you don't have a badge on the car.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Annecy has a main road closed at the moment - I would avoid at busy times (such as Saturday day time).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy