Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morgins - what's it like?

Poster: A snowHead
Myself and seven other friends are off for a long weekend in Morgins at the back end of February.

I am keen to find out a little more about where the decent bars, restaurants etc are as well as any feedback on people's experience skiing there. I realise it's a small resort so I'm not expecting St Anton style après but any feedback is much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't take this the wrong way - do you 100% mean Morgins in Switzerland, or do you mean Morzine in France? I know it sounds silly, but I've seen many a person get the names muddled in the past

If you mean Morgins (swiss) - it's ok, but a bit... meh... there are some bars, but the town is very very small... I don't really know much about the town from a staying there point of view... better places to stay in the PDS - in my opinion.

If you mean Morzine (france) - I don't like it but plenty of people here do, so no doubt someone will give you some pointers (again, in my opinion better places to stay in the pds)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do not be tempted by the turnip fondue. It is not even as good as it sounds.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely Morgins, really struggled to find long weekend accommodation near Geneva, cheap that wasn't Chamonix. We have been to Chamonix in the past and fancied a change. Slightly worried about the resort height etc. Can anyone comment on how easy it is to ski round to Avoriaz if the snow is poor?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pmercer, it's a small Swiss village. There are a few bars, restos, etc. I have eaten infrequently in a few of them over the years. Nothing special, nothing terrible apart from the turnip fondue. For a long weekend it'll be fine I'm sure, I mean, I guess you're going for the skiing?

Amusingly (for me anyway) the similarity between Morgins and Morzine is down to the same Celtic root.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The snow has always been fine, and not really anything to worry about - I've never had a problem skiing through there anyway.

The links to Avoriaz will be fine, and at that time of year are nothing to worry about. Lots of people talk about 'resort height' but Morgins is around 1300m ish... same height as La Tania - and Avoriaz is 1800m same height as Val d'Isere... try not to get hung up on it...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the similarity between Morgins and Morzine is down to the same Celtic root.

Is that the turnip?

But turnip fondue? Really? how do you fondue a turnip?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a week skiing there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. If you're just there for a few days I wouldn't bother with going over to Morzine, there's enough skiing to be had on the swiss side and just over the border in Super Chatel. The Swiss side of PdS features lots of long T-bars and slow chairs. Not brilliant, but it does mean that the pistes aren't crowded. Lovely red run back into Morgins from the Champousson side - I did it first run every morning, nice fast snoopy turns on perfect corduroy. Good old fashioned bar at the bottom of that lift was our après spot most evenings. The last run back from Super Chatel faces due South and if you have a hot and sunny week it gets brown and scrapy very quickly. After skiing it once we got the chair back down. The rest of the pistes were in perfect condition when we were there, it's just that one which was poor. I suspect it should really have been closed but as it's a link in the PdS circuit I suspect they were desperate to keep it open.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pmercer, Morgins doesn't really have much skiing on the doorstep of the village, but does offer very quick access to some very good skiing. You have two options - head off in the direction of Les Crozets / Avoriaz or head up to the Super Chatel side. Both offer good skiing.

The Morgins lifts heading over to Les Crozets and Avoriaz have had lots of upgrades recently and where it used to be quite painful to work your way across, now it's relatively easy. It's much better than Valkyrie's experience. The local pistes on that side aren't the most challenging, but do offer fantastic opportunities to have a hooooooooooooooooooooon. Off-piste opportunities are certainly available, but not that obvious (and require hunting out) until you get over more towards Les Crozets.

The ski across to Super Chatel doesn't take long and the back side of Chatel has some fan-bloody-tastic pistes and lots of very obvious and accessible off-piste.

Plenty there for the weekend.

One thing to say is that the return into Morgins from Super Chatel is fully south-facing and (in my experience) I've had to download over it more often than I've managed to ski it. Don't be put off - the snow on the other side of the link will be fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, grated turnip in cheese fondue. Really as good as it sounds.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Avoriaz is 1800m same height as Val d'Isere

and...?? Pretty meaningless statement out of context.

pmercer, you probably found it tricky to find a long weekend because you're in the middle of the Vacances Scolaires. Even most French Hotels (in resorts) only book by the week ...

Long weekend you'll be fine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was there in 2009 & 2010, January, only 2/3 bars from memory and a night club. Ended up staying in the chalet having a beer most nights. But skiing is excellent in the PDS area, just watch the times of the last lifts as you try to get back to Morgins, we had one or two panics and nearly missed a few. Morgins is a nice village really, we had a car both times and drove into the PDS to catch lifts in France in the end. Just the night life is not the reason to go there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Avoriaz is 1800m same height as Val d'Isere

and...?? Pretty meaningless statement out of context.

pmercer, you probably found it tricky to find a long weekend because you're in the middle of the Vacances Scolaires. Even most French Hotels (in resorts) only book by the week ...

Long weekend you'll be fine.

well, if you only quote a small section of the whole conversation then you will probably lose context - the OP asked about likely snow cover/conditions at the time of year they're choosing to go... I said to try not to get too hung up on it, and used examples of other resorts with similar heights and stated simply that people don't get concerned about those resorts... I didn't really think it was that hard to get - but hey... now I've explained, hopefully it's helped you understand, but if you do have trouble with this explanation then please let me know and I'm sure I can point out where the context is...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Insiders, except that almost all of the Espace Killy is above Vd'I whereas most of the PDS is below Avoriaz.

Height often over rated of course, but the two are hardly comparable, are they now?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all of the advice and feedback, I'm sure we will have a great time snow or no snow, I've hit a point now in my skiing life where I've realised there is nothing you can do about it so you just have to accept the snow as you find it!! As long as there are a couple of bars etc to keep us entertained we can make our own atmosphere!!!! Very undecided about the turnip fondue, ill probably recommend it to my friends and wait for their reaction Toofy Grin !!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Insiders, except that almost all of the Espace Killy is above Vd'I whereas most of the PDS is below Avoriaz.

Height often over rated of course, but the two are hardly comparable, are they now?

There's actually quite a bit of skiing around or above 1800 m...
snow report
I have been to chatel in PdS about 5-6 times in February, some of the best skiing I have ever done. Great ski area, very quiet end of Jan beginning of feb when I have gone. I always book a week and only stay 4 nights as getting a weekend is virtually impossible and certainly not cheaper. Morgin is very small with not much going on whereby chatel has quite a few lively bars and a plenty of good restaurants. The local chatel ski area has quite a few t bars and drags but is really quiet and has some very good mountain restaurants. It is easy to get to Avoriaz and the larger resorts but IMO they are busier so you tend to be on home runs with hundreds of beginners so sometimes the quieter areas are more fun.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy