Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
As per Pamski's request over here...

I declare the 2014/15 thread open. God bless all...(etc)

And now the first weather report...

Il plu. Beaucoup.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So, FlyingStantoni, pretty much normal for Morzine then? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has, though, had the beneficial effect of driving me to sort out the cave and dig out some rather nice wine for later...

(Do you have a wine filter and decanter?)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cross-post on ski school changes and professional courses in Morzine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, we have a decanter but no filter (heathens that we are)... must dust off the decanter!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Start dusting. I'll bring a filter (being a non-heathen!).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi everyone, first post after much reading of the forums! I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some information...

I'm thinking of doing a season this year and have just about narrowed it down to Morzine or Tignes/Espace Killy as a base. I'm self-employed and ideally I'd want to have some kind of internet signal on my phone while on out on the hill, so that I can pick up and quickly respond to any work emails while skiing, therefore not being tied to my desk all day. It doesn't really matter if the signal's not as fast as 3G, H works fine too in the UK for what I need. Does anyone know if there is data reception on the slopes around the Portes du Soleil, or at least fair sections, and which networks are the best?
I'm on 3 mobile in the UK and they have a new "feel at home" offer where I could potentially use my existing plan in France at no extra cost - the only partners in France seem to be Bouygues and Free Mobile though, not sure if they're any use in the Morzine area? Otherwise I'd be looking to get a pay and go French sim card on whichever network's best.

Thanks in advance. Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski_kat, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead If you go the PAYG route (as we did) then we found Orange to be the best coverage in that area. Our solutions was to buy one of these http://shop.ee.co.uk/huawei-e5776-mobile-wifi/all/details/#plans

And one of these 'Pass Let's Go 3G+' SIM (in person at an Orange Boutique in France) http://boutique.orange.fr/ESHOP_mx_orange/?tp=F&ref=50988&IDCible=1&type=11&donnee_appel=ORESH

The box is a mobile hotspot and you can tether multiple devices to it. We had good coverage all over Chatel, Morzine, Avoriaz with this.

Think some people have had issues with the 3 Mobile feel at home thing as there have been some recent threads on it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski_kat, definitely reasonable coverage in both areas but no idea which operators are best. I'd guess Orange and SFR.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski_kat, I signed up for a Free.fr pay as you go sim last winter season. No problems getting data on the French side of the mountain, but as soon as you get near the Swiss side (at least with Free) you switch over to Swisscom, which means data roaming (which I had turned off). Even being in the fornet area of Avoriaz was switching me over to Swisscom. So if you can get a sim which works in both countries for data, you'll be gravy!

On another note, i'll be heading back to Morzine this winter! Ski_kat, if you do decide on coming here then drop me a PM if you need some new friends in resort Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much for these tips all of you.

Good to hear the Free network worked ok for you ciaranw - from what I can find the 3 Mobile feel at home thing uses their network, and also Swisscom, so I might be lucky. If not Orange seems the best bet at the moment, but it's reassuring there is data coverage out there at least!

Morzine's definitely looking like the best option for me then, let's just hope I can sort out some accommodation now. If so I'll be in touch
ciaranw! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ciaranw wrote:
Even being in the fornet area of Avoriaz was switching me over to Swisscom.

If you turn off auto-carrier selection then it should stop unwanted roaming.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski_kat, come to Morzine. Plenty of friendly snowHeads here and very good mobile coverage.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski_kat, Espace Killy is all in France if that helps...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski_kat, be aware that the "3" deal is max of 90 days in the year and they may switch it off if you do more than a certain number of days in one go - have a look at their small print.
snow conditions
pam w, that's a bit rubbish isn't it? I get a much better deal with ... Swisscom (albeit at quite a price).
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Ski_kat, come to Morzine. Plenty of friendly snowHeads here and very good mobile coverage.

+1, or Chatel Cool
ski holidays
Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but both ProClou and Seraussaix are being replaced at the moment. There don't seem to be any obvious changes of alignment, but should hopefully fix what is sometimes a painful bottleneck.
latest report
FlyingStantoni, I presume with considerably increased capacity?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
FlyingStantoni, I presume with considerably increased capacity?

Looks like they're both going to be high speed detachable 6 man chairs. Hopefully the morning queues at Proclou will be a thing of the past! You can find a bit more infor in these threads:

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20001
http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20791

From the Séraussaix thread it looks like they might move the top station a little further down the flat track through the trees, which will make my snowboarder friends happy Very Happy
snow report
Maybe this has been posted elsewhere, but I have just returned from Chatel and the link between Super Chatel and Linga is being worked on. Currently chopping down trees and excavating at Super Chatel near to the Portes du Soleil restaurant and down by lac de Vonnes. So a lift from Super Chatel down to lac de Vonnes and then one up into the Linga area. My sources say that the lifts will be in place for the 14/15 season, but the proposed piste from Super Chatel down to lac Vonne will not be in place until the following season. Hope this is not the end of my quiet weekends in Super Chatel !!
snow report
under a new name - you'd hope.

ciaranw - you have snowboarder friends???? Wink

PDSB11 - has been mentioned elsewhere, but thanks for mentioning. And welcome to the thread...!

Weather update (as it's the thread). Il plea. Beaucoup.

(Actually, to be fair, it's been really lovely all day. Too hot in fact and I've been hiding inside learning to app program...)
snow conditions
Wether update.

There's a bloke outside with an arc...
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, unfortunately most of my friends out there last season were 'boarders. They had a terrible influence on me, even got me to strap into one of the darn things and slide about for a couple of days! Luckily I realised the error of my ways and went back to my planks after a few days of misery Toofy Grin
latest report
FlyingStantoni, i'd submit that at least Proclou should have been a TSD 8... Oh well. Not convinced that a 50% upgrade is sufficient at peak times (well, given the ESF natural propensity for that slope (understandable) ) any time.
ski holidays
As mentioned above - lots of work currently underway on the new Super Chatel - Vonnes - Linga chairlifts - will post some photos from the various sites next week. It'll be interesting to see what effect it has on the generally quieter Super Chatel and Barbossine areas.
snow conditions
Just for a change we have heavy rain here in Chatel this morning, after a mostly fine day yesterday (but wet on Monday). As others have mentioned - its been a bit of a shocker!

Took some photos of the work above Vonnes yesterday and will post the link when they are online later.
snow report
Still chucking it down here in Chatel.

Photos from the Vonnes site taken yesterday pm

http://www.chatelweb.com/snow_reports.php

and .. http://www.chatelweb.com/13082014.php
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Every time we're out and about I keep checking as we go past. It's looking like it's going really well at the moment. Shame about the rainy days but we've still managed plenty of Hiking and activities these last few weeks Smile

The day we go past the site and there's a pylon I'm going to be so excited!
snow report
Does anyone know the opening dates for the Les Gets lifts this December? I have a booking request for the week before Xmas so would be handy to know!
latest report
Chattonmill, http://www.chatelweb.com/opening_dates_times.php quote.....From 20 December 2014: the whole area. I suspect that means the whole of the Portes du Soleil, well I hope so, I'm planning a Christmas break at St Jeand'Aulps.

And for info on Les Gets specifically...... http://pass.lesgets.com/ you have to wait until 15th Sept.
snow report
Normally everything across the PDS opens fully just before Christmas. Snow permitting of course!
snow report
Thanks guys, thought so, will put them off!
snow conditions
Chattonmill, other than being honest, why put them off? We've had a number of preseason bookings who had no interest in skiing....
snow conditions
Chattonmill, we usually spend that week before Christmas in our chalet in Les Gets - sometimes we have been lucky and had the local lifts open, particularly towards the end of the week, but generally we drive to Ardent and ski from there. I think you could point out when the lift company is saying they will be open - may be that the people would be driving and expecting to ski the Avoriaz area.
ski holidays
Chattonmill, Avoriaz should be open that week. Usually is. Great skiing as you can have the mountain to yourself for the week...
ski holidays
BUMP - as traffic seems to be increasing.
snow report
I read this thread all last season deep down knowing that there would be no skiing for me due to an extension on the house. The builder finished yesterday.

God I have missed you in Avoriaz. See ya in January Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Report from Chatel today from a trail run and hike up Linga - Plaine Dranse - Bassachaux - Linga - including some photos of the Linga end of the new lift.

http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

snow conditions
First snow of the season on the Chavannes this morning...

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy