Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal Snow Report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
I don't think anyone else has started a Zillertal Snow Report thread for next season... I haven't seen one yet. So here it is Smile
I had the opportunity to go to Hintertux today. For 29th July it was great. Real snow, no glacier ice and the piste down to the Tuxerfernerhaus was not only open but enjoyable too NehNeh
http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2014/07/july-skiing-in-hintertux.html
There was some earth moving work going on near the bottom of Red piste 2. It was hard to see what they were doing (through the raindrops on the gondola windows) and I can't find anything about it on their website, but I'm sure it will all become clear by the autumn.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the report, hope to get across later this summer once the temps have dropped a little .....
http://www.bergfex.com/hintertux/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sulking here as the torn rotator cuff won't let me ski this week and next week it is getting repaired so that's another 6+ weeks written off as well. Sad Aiming to be fit to do a World Class course there in late October though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Commiserations and best wishes for a speedy recovery Samerberg Sue - but pray tell, what and where is a
Quote:
torn rotator cuff
Puzzled Have to say it sounds a bit nasty... Skullie
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, it is made up of the three tendons and muscles attaching the the upper arm to the shoulder. Mine were torn when I dislocated that shoulder in a collision (I was skied into at high speed) on New Year's Eve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/picture-of-the-rotator-cuff

I've torn the Supraspinatus for sure, and my surgeon suspects at least a partial tear in the subcapularis and another in Teres Minor as I'm completely unable to lift my arm to even shoulder height. any internal rotation is incredibly painful as well. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I'm a 100% left-hander as well and it is my left shoulder that is suffering!

But they operate to repair it on Tuesday of next week which means I have a minimum of 6 weeks off work! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
definitely follow a rehab process after the operation.
13 years ago, i broke my below shoulder. The doctor said it was not necessary to operate but the arm stayed without movement over 1 month.
Now i cannot move my arm at 100%....The shoulder does not have 100% functionality...

Wish you the best
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to facebook Hintertuxglacier page, today is a perfect day for skiing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hope you are recovering well Sue and that the snow is good at Xmas as we have a week booked in Kaltenbach
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic conditions with new snow reported up there this morning with a temperature of below 0° (-1°C on the picture I saw) - pig sick I could not take advantage of the near perfect conditions today!

turms, heliphil, thanks, the initial rehab has been slow and painful but I am freed from the 24/7 immobilser next Tuesday and begin the serious rehab at the out-patient centre (turms ambulantes Reha) in Rosenheim next Wednesday. Then it will be 5 to 6 hours a day for 4 weeks, and back to work in October. I hope to be skiing on the Tux during the first week in November, but will cancel my course if my therapists advise against it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was having a look around on the local ski area websites to see if they're advertising anything new for this coming season and came across this on the Hochzillertal website http://www.hochzillertal.com/de/aktuelles/ It seems that they've got a deal with a car sharing/car hire company and are offering a package price for car hire for 24 hours from Munich, 1 day lift passes, ski hire and a welcome drink at Wedlhütte. I guess it's aimed to attract people living around Munich to drive over for a day, but I also wondered if anyone on here might be tempted to pop over to Austria just to ski for a day by cheap flights into Munich NehNeh
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well...i have never done it for one day...but i have done it for a Weekend (ok, from Greece not from UK)
years ago there was a flight provided by TUI from Greece to Munich. Flight Thessaloniki Munich at Friday 18.40 arrive at 21.00 (i dont remember exactly) and the fligt back to Greece, Monday was at 6.15 in the morning...
So we cathch the plane at friday, flight to Munich, get the car and arrived at Hintertux almost 00.00....make ski Saturday-Sunday, and Sunday after ski , drove back to airport..left the car to hire company, gave our luggage for the flight next morning, and then...sleep somewhere in the airport. I think that Europcar had some nice green couches and we spent our night there....next morning at 6.15 flight back to Greece, arrived sometime at 9.00 and get to work at 10.00 straight from the Airport...Yeah...i have made it trree times this Winter....a little bit crazy but...you only live once...so, make ski as much as possible....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Hintertux yesterday. The snow was heavy and soft. The public pistes had snow on but some of the race training lanes were down to glacier ice. The piste to the Tuxer Fernerhaus was great - slush bumps all the way Very Happy though possibly not everyone's favourite Toofy Grin
The weather was pretty grey so Hintertux was not at its photogenic best however, there are a couple of photos here http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2014/10/so-201415-winter-season-starts-in.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went to Hintertux today Smile Lovely hero snow on a hard base. We had a little chuckle at the clowns who couldn't resist the untracked snow at the bottom of the cliffs next to the Kaserer lifts. It was still untracked 2 days after it had snowed because the snow was hiding the rocks... By the sound of it, the guys we saw found every single one Toofy Grin
It was pretty busy - hardly surprising as it is a Saturday following snowfall with a good weather forecast.
The volume of traffic resulted in some really good piste bumps on the way down to the Tuxer Fernerhaus... Made more challenging by oblivious people setting off without looking directly into my line. So that was nice Smile
The piste down to Sommerbergalm will be officially open tomorrow apparently. And, it was snowing when we left Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
over a metre of snow in mayrhofen ski areas according to one of the hotel owners Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This morning, 2 weeks earlier than last year, I did my first turns in Hochfügen. And very nice it was, too Smile The Hochfügen website is saying that they're going to open for weekends from 8/9th November. Then, presumably, they'll start the season full time from 1st December. Considering it is the 1st November today the pistes were in great condition. Surprisingly, there was no hopping over drainage ditches and avoiding mud patches that I would normally expect at this time of the year. It was all quite effortless really (apart from the walking up part, of course, that took quite a lot of effort!) They have made a good base, hopefully, there'll be plenty of snow to top it up before the season really gets underway.
For the obsessive snow watchers amongst you ( Razz ) there are some photos here http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2014/11/first-turns-of-season-201415-in.html
snow conditions
@SaraJ, nice pics, snow looks good!
latest report
The Föhn wind hasn't been kind to Hochfügen. The top is still looking good, but lower down it's looking quite sparse. The forecast says it's going colder from Monday so hopefully they'll be able to start making snow on the lower slopes.
On the other hand, we went to Hintertux today... Fantastic weather and fantastic snow Smile Photos (and a bit of chat) here: http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2014/11/fantastic-snow-in-hintertux.html
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
On the other hand, we went to Hintertux today... Fantastic weather and fantastic snow Smile Photos (and a bit of chat) here: http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2014/11/fantastic-snow-in-hintertux.html

Glad to see that you saw and enjoyed some of the FIS World Cup Telemark races that were taking place there this weekend. I know that Jasmin Taylor is taking part and came 4th in Friday's race. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Hochfügen opened on Saturday. There were only a couple of pistes open but what was there was good. It's gone quite a lot colder so they have lots of snow cannons busy making snow. If the weather continues as forecast I expect we'll be able to ski to the car park by this weekend.
Hintertux is in great condition. Fantastic snow and poor visibility keeping the crowds away Toofy Grin
latest report
Snow cannons now working full blast, bring on the 27th.
latest report
piste bashers out . the snowcannon reservoir has dropped a lot over the last couple of days Shocked . anyone know how deep it is ? will it run dry ?

http://webtv.feratel.com/webtv/?design=500p&pg=20F52598-D6F3-448C-A38B-EC5071B837EA&cam=5535
ski holidays
the penken opened at the weekend .
ski holidays
Been out skiing around Zillertal last three days. Penken, Finkenberg, Rastkogel linked up on Sunday. More open than I expected, and good skiing. Hintertux was excellent yesterday. Today skied Gerlos, Konigsletiten and over to Hochkrimml, again surprisingly good piste conditions considering it is all artificial. Light snow today, but is still too warm.
snow report
Thanks for the update @RobinS, we're out there on the 3rd....

the snowmaking has looked impressive, and some natural stuff f/cast for the rest of the week - depending where the freeze level is.....
ski holidays
@RobinS, planning to do konigsletiten / hockkrimml this time . done pretty much the rest of the valley.
ski holidays
@RobinS, I'm coming out tomorrow for three days, probably going to stay near Hintertux and ski on the glacier. Can you tell me what the temperature is on the glacier? Would you dress for spring skiing or winter skiing? Thanks.
ski holidays
@Raceplate, from a quick check of the webcams at 4.20 it was between -4,5 and -9 depending on which cam you look at . just about perfect Very Happy
snow report
@Raceplate
I'm in Zillertal at the moment. Skied on the glacier Sunday and Monday and it was rather wintery. Chilly(ish) with some light wind. Skied in Mayrhofen last two days and it's been surprisingly fine (given my low expectations). About half of pistes open. Obviously mostly man made snow, but when groomed it seems fine. I even ventured some on-the-side off-piste today after overnight light snowfall (5-10cm I'd say). Although my skis probably didn't like the idea. If the temperatures hold they should be able to open almost all pistes for Xmas week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks both. Thought it would still be cold on the glacier. Will dress for winterish Very Happy
latest report
@Raceplate, Hope you are having a good time - as others have said the glacier was "wintery".
During the last week we had 2 days at Hintertux, with excellent conditions. Three at Mayrhofen, again much better than expected, reasonable amount open, and it looked like more being prepared for this week. One day at Gerlos/Konigsleiten/Hochkrimml, pistes at Konigsleiten in particular were in amazingly good condition. Yesterday skied Hochzillertal/Hochfugen, very busy with lots of local race kids out, good at the top, but lower down was thawed/refrozen and hard going.
Overall I was very impressed by the quality of skiing when there has been virtually no natural snow laying below about 1800m - the piste preparation has been superb! While those at home have been all doom and gloom, we had a great time - and Friday lunchtime in the restaurant there was even a british family phoning to book the same week next year they had enjoyed ot so miuch!
ski holidays
@RobinS, I flew back yesterday. Managed to get half a day in round Mayrhofen on Thursday which was ok - closer to Spring skiing than early season - then 2 days on the Hintertux. Excellent conditions there and was -10c plus wind chill on Saturday which was great - scared all the punter skiers off the hill so I could get straight on all the higher lifts all day. Enjoyed myself; snow was grippy so rented some full on piste skis and played with my short turns and carving all day. I hadn't been there before but I'd be happy to go back.
snow report
Merry Christmas from Hochfügen Very Happy and it's snowing Razz
For the last week the snow has been good quality but it's getting a bit sparse. The forecast is predicting 10-15cm over the next few days... I hope that's right, we need it.
Part of the problem is that we have better snow than other places so people are coming here to ski. Some fresh snow and cold enough temperatures to run the snow cannons is going make a big difference, hopefully Smile
ski holidays
A friend out in Mayrhofen sent a pic of snow at village level this morning.
snow conditions
It snowed all day today in Hochfügen, so that was nice Toofy Grin
Happily, my students today were pretty good skiers who were keen to improve their skiing in variable snow. So that's what we did. By mid afternoon it was all very variable - knee deep fresh snow, hard push piles of snow, scraped ice patches, mounds of man made snow both with and without crust and, when I ventured off the side of the piste, there was fresh snow on a base of frozen grass, bushes and corrugated ice.
The snow cannons were running all day and, hopefully, they'll be running all night tonight too.
It feels like winter is finally here Very Happy
snow conditions
Couple of inches of snow on the roads here in Zell am Ziller and it's still snowing. Skied at Kaltenbach today with a trip over to Hochfugen Fugen and back. Snowed since about 11am so visibility mostly pretty poor. Busy pistes and very variable snow - everything from knee deep powder to boiler plate ice and grassy/stony patches. Overall there's now plenty snow, it'll just take a day or two for the pisteurs to knock it into shape.
latest report
@SaraJ, thanks for all the updates, any idea on how Mayerhofen's pistes are looking? (we're off there on Saturday and are very excited!!).

Thanks
Matthew
ski holidays
@jellemr, Pistes should be lovely by the weekend. Still snowing heavily at village level in Zell. Skiing today in Zell am Ziller was very limited, most lifts closed due to high winds. We made the most of limited options by playing at the side of the piste. Getting on for a metre deep in places, although there was still some bare patches on the windward slopes.
snow report
@Valkyrie, thanks for the update!!! Can't wait!! Any other snowheads in Mayerhofen next week and fancy a ski / beer?!!?
ski holidays
@jellemr, I will be in Mayrhofen from Saturday also with a group of 12. Staying at Chalet Lukas. Mix group of skiers and boarders. Definitely having a few beers during the week!!
latest report
@elcottero, excellent. Drop me a pm here if you fancy a ski / drink? We're with crystal btw. You?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy