Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lifts under construction in chatel

Poster: A snowHead
I nearly got mown down by one of those large yellow lorries in the summer. rolling eyes Shocked I was just walking round the back of the building to the entry of the Super Chatel lift to come back down so could not see round the corner. As I reached the corner a yellow lorry came storming past. It really shook me up. Thank goodness I wasn't a second or two earlier. I am surprised they were using a track so close to the lift station.

Sorry to hear of the lift delays for the folks skiing there this season. I must say seeing the state of play in August it was hard to imagine the lifts working this season as there were no pylons up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to the the top lift station of the new TS "Portes du Soleil" at Super-Chatel.
Some progress to report online at: http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chatel Snow, nice one, thank you for the reports Smile I'd already seen the cow photos today on FB, some magnificent beasts there Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Further progress to report up at Super Chatel... http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had an interesting conversation with our Wood man today, he said he's working on the site and next week the major pylons are going in - he said he was going to be working with a bigger helicopter than the one they've been using already ! he also said that the lifts are on track to be finished for Christmas! will be good news if it's true snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep - the lifts might be finished for Christmas but the issue might be the testing period which will follow installation - I'm told they have to run fully loaded for up to 4 weeks before they can be signed off for public use. If that is the case (and its only what I have been told) then I would imagine them being open for the public by Christmas is highly unlikely.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ps - to the above - first big pylon is in near to where the Linga lift station will be.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
all progress is good Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mountain Addiction, Yep. Looking forward to seeing the big helicopter working this week - though weather may be an issue with potential for quite a lot of snow on Wednesday and some strong winds before then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
looks like snow too snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mountain Addiction, fingers crossed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Enjoying the updates from those on the spot.

Hope to have a look for myself when we are out for a weekend of apartment fettling around 1 December.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mountain Addiction, @Chatel Snow, thanks for the updates guys, let's keep fingers crossed for good weather for them to crack on with the work!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chatel Snow, where does the new Portes du Soleil chair arrive at Super Chatel? Is it at the top or bottom of Coqs, or somewhere else? Reason I'm asking is, if it's at the bottom of Coqs then the area where the red and blue pistes meet at the bottom of TS de Conche is going to become quite congested.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snoozeboy, It’s near the Restaurant “Portes du Soleil” where the road from Super Chatel crosses the red run that drops down to the chairlift. There is a track cut through the trees heading up and across the snowpark drag lift and it must then drop down to Vonnes. I haven’t seen the exact route as the footpaths on that side were all closed in the summer.

I’m out in a couple of weeks so will have a good poke around but I imagine all will become clear through @Chatel Snow's excellent reports and pictures
snow conditions
@snoozeboy, @DJL, Yep it comes out alongside the Portes du Soleil restaurant and is within a few meters of the drags that go up the snow park. if you look directly up the snowpark from the bottom drags, the new lift comes in from the right hand side from Vonnes to by the restaurant.

I went down the new piste from Super Chatel the other day - (see report on the link below) - there is now a track along the whole route - but uphill slope appears very unstable at present.

Lots going on today - in fact a big day for the lifts - Super Puma helicopter (I think that's what it is) has been working flat out lifting in the main pylons and associated head gear - so there are now huge pylons all over the place!

Ceremony for Armistice day this morning - and is a bank holiday for most.

Will try and get some pics online later this eve at http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php as also manage a trail run up Morclan this afternoon.
ski holidays
@Chatel Snow, I like your snowy trees pictures from last week Smile Did you see the last of the cows coming through the village last Thurs? Saw them on the Chatel FB page wandering past the church in the snow Laughing
snow report
@sarah, Thanks Sarah. Didn't see the cows - but heard them! There are still a few about on the lower slopes - but will soon be time for them to go inside for winter.
snow report
Thanks @Chatel Snow and @DJL. Hence, If I'm coming from Linga up to Super Chatel and I want to ski to Torgon or Morgins, I can take the drags OR go down to TS de Conche.
snow conditions
@snoozeboy, Yes option to go either way. You enjoy it over the Torgon way these days then?
ski holidays
@DJL, My apartment is Chatel village centre, so the big attraction for me is being able to get to Linga/Pre la Joux from my apartment without taking the bus (though taking the bus will probably be quicker).

That said, I really like the Torgon/Chapelle side, especially during peak weeks, when it's quiet over there. I don't think it will get that much busier, because I think most people will use the new link to ski into Morgins on the PdS loop.

The real reason I was asking was because I thought I saw a flaw, i.e. the convergence point between the red/blue pists just above TS de Conche is not a good spot, so it's good to know that it can be avoided by taking the drags.

I'm out at Xmas DJL (or anyone), as usual, if you're around for a beer and/or ski.
snow conditions
Apparently the new Portes du Soleil chairlift station went in yesterday

Accompanied by a bit of a handshaking ceremony between the mayor and representatives from Poma and complete with accordion music Laughing

All good progress snowHead
snow report
Yep @sarah, all good progress. The "celebration" (If I understand correctly) was also for the arrival of the cable that will be the actual physical link between the areas.
snow report
@Chatel Snow, yes I did read that too Smile Exciting stuff.

I am enjoying your daily reports on your site, keep it up snowHead
snow report
I just noticed today on the Chatel website that the new lifts are marked on the pistemap
http://info.chatel.com/images/info_pages/plan-des-pistes-de-chatel-839.pdf

I wonder when they'll be operational. One thing's for sure - there's no excuse of bad weather delaying the work in autumn and early winter.

S
snow conditions
@snoozeboy, tah, can now see how it all works, should be in the PDS back end of March so look forward to trying both new lifts then Very Happy
snow report
See this link for detailed discussion in French about the new link, the new Vonnes car park, the new ramp/bridge/crossing (which I didn't know about) etc. Opening date of the link to the public is slated to be 15 Jan and some other reports say "this season", which seems quick to me, even though they've had good autumn and early winter weather to make progress. That said, I know nothing about ski lift construction, so defer to their greater knowledge.

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21305&st=180
latest report
@snoozeboy, Great stuff. Pity they won't be open until the week after we are back home.

Looking at a couple of the posts on the link you gave led me to this website: http://www.passionportesdusoleil.tk/ which has some interesting stuff though quite a bit of it seems to be hidden behind our corporate firewall. I'll have a closer look from home.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was up in Chatel yesterday and was impressed by the progress of the link, though I didn't take a look at the Linga end of the Gabelou. I'm now beginning to believe that the 15 Jan launch date might be realistic. One thing that puzzled me was the talk of the bridge on the remontees mechaniques website mentioned earlier. Whilst it's obvious that the building in progress at the Vonnes changeover point of the two chairs, which will provide the lift pass desks, has a sloping roof, I can't work out what a ramp or bridge is for. It can't be for returning skiers from Linga, because there is no piste - the Gabelou chair being 2 way.

Any ideas?
ski holidays
The ramp that you can see on the photos below will presumably end up being some sort of pedestrian bridge over the road. There is a possibility that'll be a piste down from Linga in the future... they are not sure yet.

Bron/Source: http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php
snow conditions
Hi All
We've recently bought an apartment in the new "Fermes de Chatel" apartment complex, right opposite the Super Chatel lift. This wont be finished til this time next year, but reading about and seeing photos of the new lift is interesting. Looking forward to finding our way around - we will prob use it for a couple of weeks in the winter and 2-3 weeks in the summer (cycling and walking).

Alex
snow conditions
The mairie in Chatel are suggesting this morning an inauguration date of 31/1/15 for the Vonnes to Super Chatel lif (TS Portes du Soleil).
latest report
@Chatel Snow, I saw that too Smile When I drove over to Morgins on Wednesday afternoon it was running so they must be testing it now.
snow conditions
I hope so. Was on Linga gondola the other day and over heard a pisteur talking to an ESF instructor, they reckoned it would be finished for 25 Jan. BUT I can see the linga link from the Chalet window and they haven't even put chairs on the wire yet. How many hundreds of hours are needed to test it? Thought I read it was something like 1000, even if they started testing NOW and ran it for 24 hours a day it'd still take over a month to get through all the red tape... correct me if i'm wrong but I'm confused Confused
latest report
Takes a day to put the chairs on, couple of days testing, then probably a day to do the TüV (or whatever the French version is called) test and certify it for use. If it's pretty much ready then it can be in public use by the end of the month with time to spare.
ski holidays
It's talked about earlier in this thread on Page 3, that ChatelSnow heard that it had to be run fully loaded for 4 weeks...
ski holidays
Chatel Snow wrote:
The mairie in Chatel are suggesting this morning an inauguration date of 31/1/15 for the Vonnes to Super Chatel lif (TS Portes du Soleil).

That was what was being displayed on the sign board at the bottom of the Linga bubble today (I finally found it, facing the 'wrong way' though)
snow report
@Mountain Addiction, yep the Linga link chairs are still all piled up on the ground. My guess is they are going to open just the Vonnes to Super Chatel lift and then who knows when the full link?
snow conditions
Any more news from the locals on when the new chairs are going to be operating and their state of construction?
snow conditions
I recently received my invitation from the Mairie for the grand opening on the 31st Jan. This means nothing of course, they can have an official opening and then not run the chairs, but it's probably less embarrassing to run the chairs immediately from the opening. The Chatel Mayor seems the sort of bloke that doesn't like that kind of embarrassment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy