Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lifts under construction in chatel

Poster: A snowHead
Mountain Addiction, Have you read this thread MA http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21305

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-08-14 19:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mountain Addiction, I was told that's from the original plan from years ago - but I may well be wrong. That's the only place I have seen the 6 man mentioned - but hopefully it will be correct. Having said that - it would make more sense to have the 6 man going to Linga as the traffic issue is between Chatel and Linga / Pre La joux.

I'll ask them in the SAEM office when I next pass to try and get a definitive answer.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmmm.... I don't really know, it sounds like the French are as much confused about this as we all are...

hopefully time will tell - I'm just glad the link is finally going in Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mountain Addiction, Yep - though you would hope the map on the residents site would be the most recent - so fingers crossed for a shiny new 6 man! I've emailed SAEM Chatel - so hopefully will get the answer!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a lot going on up there today - had a heli flying up and down removing logs from the mountain
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain Addiction, Chatel Snow, as long as the new lifts are up and running by Xmas, that's when I'm out in PDS. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep - a very busy helicopter today.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mountain Addiction and DJL

Your info was spot on - had confirmation that Vonnes / Super Châtel will be a TS6 + Vonnes / Linga a TS4.

Good news!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chatel Snow, Great stuff! Yoiu deserve some sunshine to go with that piece of news. I hadn't realised you were out there for the summer or I would have looked you up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DJL, Yep its blue here today (for a change!) Spent much of July in UK for various reasons - but meant we missed the 3 week monsoon! Have to catch up when the snow arrives.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thought it was going to be a 6er Smile good to have a definitive answer though...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They've been working flat out on the new lift heading up SuperChatel, I heard them working at 7am this morning, and they were still at it at 8pm last night - they don't even seem to be stopping for lunch at the moment!

I saw a heli delivering what looked like a giant vat of cement this morning, but, we were on our way out so couldn't get a good look before it disappeared in to the trees
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update on the work going on at the Super-Chatel end of the new link - http://www.chatelweb.com
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Insiders, not great for everyone as there are some currently not so easy to access powder stashes that will become easily accessible... Sad

Agree, don't want to see super Chatel and the like tracked out.

Hopefully amount of drags over swiss side will still put most off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just received by email from Mairie de Chatel...

Communiqué/Information

LIAISON SUPER CHATEL – LINGA : Un beau cadeau pour les 50 ans des Portes du Soleil !

Alors que les remontées mécaniques se construisent progressivement, les noms de ces deux nouvelles installations de CHATEL s’inspirent des relations franco-suisses !

TSD 4 GABELOU (Télésiège Débrayable 4 places)
Gabelou : sous l'Ancien Régime, nom donné aux employés de la Ferme Générale chargés de percevoir la gabelle et autres droits indirects pour le compte du roi. La gabelle est une taxe sur le sel ayant existé en France au Moyen Âge et à l'époque moderne. C'était alors l'une des aides ou taxe indirecte. Les gabelous se chargeaient de la récolte de la gabelle. Les douaniers ont hérité depuis de ce surnom.

Ce clin d’œil s’inscrit d’une part dans le cadre de la proximité du Centre d’Interprétation de la Contrebande en Montagne « La Vieille Douane » mais aussi pour symboliser le passage de la frontière à skis dans les Portes du Soleil via un surnom attaché aux douaniers. Cet appareil survolera d’ailleurs le sentier des contrebandiers qui sera installé au printemps et qui a fait l’objet d’un soutien de la fondation du Crédit Agricole au titre d’une «action patrimoniale reconnue et séduisante.».

TSD 6 PORTES DU SOLEIL (Télésiège Débrayable 6 places)
En hommage aux 50 ans du domaine skiable franco-suisse, né en 1964, comment ne pas avoir un geste d’attention pour saluer ces noces d’or entre deux pays ?

CHATEL, station tournée à la fois vers la France et la Suisse est aussi le point central de l’association des Portes du Soleil. Elle y a construit ses bureaux il y a quelques années et y résidait déjà depuis longtemps !

Cette nouvelle installation Modèle POMA EEZZI (« Easy ») rappelle que ce sera désormais plus simple, plus facile de skier, circuler et franchir la frontière.

Et pour terminer, CHATEL étant devenue par le biais d’un slogan « La plus suisse des stations françaises », tous les justificatifs sont réunis pour qu’un jour, c’est-à-dire demain, le Plus Beau Domaine Skiable du Monde puisse retrouver son nom sur une installation ! Enfin !

Ces deux installations porteront sur leur « brillante carrosserie », le logo créé pour cet anniversaire !

Voilà une liaison qui va aussi faciliter les rencontres de travail hivernales au Chalet des Portes du Soleil. Hier on y venait en voiture ou difficilement à skis, demain, les professionnels exploitants, offices de tourisme et autres acteurs du territoire n’auront plus d’excuses que d’utiliser la mobilité douce !

A vos skis….
snow conditions
snoozeboy, interesting Smile

I heard just this weekend that the 'new' lift from Linga to Vonnes isn't new at all, they are recycling the one from Pre la Joux (think it was called the Plaine Dranse) that started from where the green track intersects with the flat bit of the lower Rochassons piste.
snow report
Yes, one of the lifts is recycled. I heard it was from Avoriaz. I don't think it matters, as long as it is reliable, has enough capacity and is a fast, detachable chair. This seems to be the case for both chairs, but we'll see during NY week if the link can deal with demand.

I think the link will make a huge change to Chatel, positive and negative.

Negatives...
- the link will skirt Chatel, like a bypass road. Of course, it will also bring more people to the area, and some could precipitate into the village centre.
- Chatel's skiing used to be split between Chatel centre (including Petit Chatel) and Linga. With the new link, accommodation at Linga seems to have less of a unique selling point. I doubt Linga will suffer as Chatel seems to be growing despite the recession, with many new developments under construction. The lightening of traffic through Linga (see below) will have a beneficial effect.
- the quiet skiing of Super Chatel, Torgon and La Chappelle is likely to be busier. Not really a big deal as it's almost completely empty up to now. Chatel recently (last year) took over the running of the lifts in Torgon, because the swiss resort could not sustain the cost. I wonder if it were fully disclosed that Chatel were about to put this link in at the time.

Positives...
- It'll ease the traffic, which was heavy during peak periods on the road between Chatel and Linga and in Chatel centre, as visitors from the Swiss side will now park above the village. This is a massive, massive plus.
- it'll make the Chatel day pass much better. The two areas of Super Chatel and Linga offer completely contrasting skiing and it'll be great to have better access between the two.
- If you're based in Chatel centre, access to the entire Portes du Soleil in both directions is now just 100m away, via the Super Chatel Gondola. There'll be no need to get a bus at all.

Neutral
- the focus of the village will likely move towards Lac de Vonnes. This is quite good. Lac de Vonnes is a nice place.

From what I've heard, local reaction to the link has only been positive in Chatel. This was not the case with the new aquatic centre, which received a lot of criticism, much of which seemed to be from those vested interests in Chatel (e.g. hotel owners with pools who would now be subsidising via their taxes high quality competition on their doorstep). In my opinion, as a neutral, the pool in Chatel is absolutely outstanding and is exactly the right investment that Chatel needed to maintain its position as a quality family resort.

Whatever people say about mayors and french local politics, this one in Chatel has achieved an enormous amount in a few years. The Super Chatel to Linga link has been talked about for 30 years, apparently.
snow conditions
snoozeboy, Excellent summary.

We use the new pool complex 3 times a week - its an excellent addition to Chatel.
ski holidays
snoozeboy, Looking forward to seeing the new lifts in the flesh. Interesting that it is a four man towards Chatel and a six man towards Linga - they're assuming that there will be more traffic in that direction. I wouldn't want to see the Super Chatel side getting much more busy I love the fact that Torgon and Petit Chatel are fairy quiet. Having looked at the pictures it also looks like the piste will be in this winter to return to Vonnes from Super Chatel even if it isn't officially open and with snow cannons.

Chatel Snow, Looking forward to the new pool complex too! We're staying in Sabaudia so just a short walk for us.
snow report
alj, I personally think the bulk of the traffic will be Vonnes to Linga - which does indeed raise the question of why that one is a 4 man. Having said that, I'm not complaining!

Talking to the owners of one of the French ski schools yesterday does raise some continuing doubt on whether the piste from Super Chatel to Vonnes will be finished for this season - as its only just over half completed (if I understood correctly!).

The 2 chairs should be finished for the season, though a petit alarm bell rang in my mind when I saw a promotional poster yesterday from the tourist office mentioning "2015" rather than "December 2014". We shall see.
snow conditions
Chatel Snow, I guess the rainy summer didn't help with the building work. We arrive on 3rd Jan and are there for the month so should hopefully see the lifts open and if what the poster says happens we might even be there for the opening!
ski holidays
I'm also arriving. 3 Jan so hope all running by then.

alj, snoozeboy, keep the noise down about all the great skiing in the Petit Chatel, Torgon, La Chapelle area - don't want it getting too busy.

I agree it will make a Chatel day or weekend pass still more attractive and me as a Petit Chatel resident more likely to leave the car at home and travel one way to Pre La Joux by bus now I can do the whole thing "skis chausses"

Enjoyed the pool in the summer and think it's a great addition especially for free on the Multipass.

Flights booked for the lads' trip in March (£55!) - just need the snow now early and often.
ski holidays
Looking forward to this, while I don't object to buses, it is the standing-by-the-road-waiting-and-not-knowing-when-or-if-a-bus-will-come that always gets me, we always seemed to time our arrival in Chatel to coincide with the three hour lunch break. Because of that, we haven't skied through for two or three years, but will make a point of it in January when we are next out.
snow report
DJL, Just back from a run to the top of one of your favourite places. Nice and quiet as usual up there this morning.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 3-10-14 11:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Having finally (after investigating just about *everywhere*) booked Chatel at half-term my interest in these new lifts is at an all time high!

I see references about the possibility of the piste from Super-Chatel to Vonnes opening, but I'm curious about how one gets the other way. Will it be possible to get from the top of Linga to Vonnes?

I have some other Chatel questions, but rather than derail this thread I'll start another.

LR
ski holidays
LittleRob, The chair operates in both directions.

Chatel Snow, Nice, one of my favourites - chairlift up to Morclan then all the way along the ridge, across your favourite bit of off piste and down from the farm. Sometimes even do the up-hill human propelled (but not running!)

sanman, Not first week in Jan by any chance? We might manage that day over to La Chapelle this year.

Is this turning into the PDS not-the-weather thread?
snow report
DJL Sorry, I'm being dense. Imagine I was at the Tete du linga and heading back to Chatel how would I do that? I had supposed that I would have to ski down to Vonnes somehow, via a piste that does not currently exist. The map shows 27 "La Leiche" which heads off in that direction before doubling back to the bottom of the Linga lift. Or are you saying that I'd need to take the chair down?
snow report
LittleRob, From Tete du Linga you would ski down the steep top part of the run and past the Telecabine arrival and bear right down the Leiche piste. I think the departure point of the Linga-Vonnes lift will be over the far right side that piste.

I believe it is situated just too low to be able to access the Echo Alpin to go to the top of Linga if you come from Vonnes-Linga.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick trip to the Vonnes site - work progressing. Drainage in and some flat surfaces being created...

Ps - its lunchtime - hence the lack of activity.
snow conditions
Quote:

lunchtime - hence the lack of activity

You mean it's Between 11 and 3? Very Happy

And DJL, yes the first full week in January. You never know!
snow conditions
sanman, Laughing

Report from Chatel today from a trail run and hike up Linga - Plaine Dranse - Bassachaux - Linga - including some photos of the Linga end of the new lift.

http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

ski holidays
I've seen what looks like the reinforcing wires for the concrete bases of the pylons being helicoptered up the mountain the last couple of days, as well as a few millions tons of concrete (just an estimate) so hopefully the pylons will be able to be installed relatively soon.

I guess it helps with all the nice weather we've been having recently allowing them to catch up on things Very Happy
ski holidays
For all of us obsessed with the new lifts they have now installed a webcam at Vonnes! We can now watch them take their lunchbreak Laughing

http://m.webcam-hd.com/chatel/evenement
snow report
sarah, Laughing

I went up Linga this morning and saw these pylons on route. Brief report here... http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

latest report
sarah, Thanks for the heads up - We're obsessed too - We're staying aboout half way up the Route de Vonnes so will able to get the bus in either direction in the morning - decisions, decisions!
snow report
Latest on the new lifts is that they are unlikely to be ready for New Year and January, possibly mid-January might be the opening date. Issue appears to be related to the lengthy period of testing that needs to be done before they can be signed off for public use.
Will post updates here and at http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php
latest report
bug. I've been keeping a cheeky eye on this ready for my first visit this Christmas. Never mind eh.
latest report
Chatel Snow, i had a feeling they'd started a bit late
snow conditions
Chatel Snow, not surprised really.
snow conditions
Chatel Snow, Thanks for the update
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy