Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Duke/ Baron vs Salomon Guardian????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Serriadh wrote:

The geometry of the binding is such that your boot heel will comfortably clear the binding heelpiece when you're in tour mode. If you remounted everything so you could click your boot into the dynafit toe and the alpine heel, you'd no longer be able to use the alpine toe. Furthermore, alpine bindings work with forward pressure to load the whole system up; dynafit toes don't really give you anything to push against so you won't really be able to engage the heel properly. Add to that a fixed, low-elasticity lateral release at the toe and chances are you'll pop out at your very first turn.

I don't think that CAST even approve of using their dynafit toe with a dynafit heel, if you wanted to do something like swap heelpieces out so you could have a purely dynafit day.(

That's a really useful explanation, thanks!

spyderjon wrote:

The Beast 14 toe is offered primarily as a weight saving option for those that don't need the full on burliness of the stronger 16 toe. The difference in the two din ranges makes no difference to the majority of people (6-16din v 5-14din) as they're not skiing on either 5, 15 or 16 din but lighter weight non super aggressive users can benefit from the lower weight/cost of the 14 version. Personally, with the launch of the Radical 2, I see the Beast 14 as a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist as, cost aside, users will either choose the Beast 16 or the Radical 2. I suppose that Dynafit offer it simply because they can as it costs them nothing to combine the Beast heel & the Radical 2 toe to create another weight/price offering. Very similar to the differences between the Marker Duke, Baron & Tour bindings.

That's interesting spyderjon - so what is the difference then, if any, between the Radical 2 and Beast heel pieces? Totally agree with you on DIN, I'm unlikely to ever go above 9 tbh, but my impression was that the beast heel gave a feel closer to a non-tech/downhill binding?

Serriadh wrote:
The new twisty toe probably fixes a some prerelease issues (yay!) as will the rearward elasticity of the heelpiece spring, but as its an untried new touring binding part you'd have to be a bit keen or a bit daft to buy one til next season. I think they've already had a bunch of sprung heels out in the real world, so they're probably quite useable (and useful) this season.

Agree, but then I need new boots and bindings, and really really don't want frame type touring bindings, so what's a girl to do?!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fixx wrote:
Agree, but then I need new boots and bindings, and really really don't want frame type touring bindings, so what's a girl to do?!

Do you need boots that work with alpine and dynafit bindings? That's slightly inconvenient, but not a major issue.

If you don't need one set of bindings to do everything, I'd be tempted to pick up a pair of Dynafit Radical STs of the non-2.0 variety. You might be able to find them cheap (Snowinn have some with 110mm brakes for <300 quid, which is a start) by way of a bonus. An alternative might be a new set of Fritchschi Vipecs... the stuff for this coming season should have resolved the toe pin issues that plagued the original model, but they'll be pricier.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serriadh wrote:
fixx wrote:

Do you need boots that work with alpine and dynafit bindings? That's slightly inconvenient, but not a major issue.

If you don't need one set of bindings to do everything, I'd be tempted to pick up a pair of Dynafit Radical STs of the non-2.0 variety. You might be able to find them cheap (Snowinn have some with 110mm brakes for <300 quid, which is a start) by way of a bonus. An alternative might be a new set of Fritchschi Vipecs... the stuff for this coming season should have resolved the toe pin issues that plagued the original model, but they'll be pricier.

That's what I'm trying to decide...

Do I get a pair of boots that will fit both binding types (I already have a pair of Marker Squires) and have both pairs of skis quiver-killered for both sets of bindings (assuming screw layout is compatible)?
OR boots that just fit tech bindings and move to those completely? That might give me a bigger range of boots (?) but then potentially costs more for the bindings. Given I'm not the most aggressive skier, I don't think I'd worry too much about compromising on downhill performance - one of the latest versions of tech bindings would be more than good enough.

I should point out that maybe 50% of the days I'd be skinning up would be purely for cardio in the morning, with normal downhill skiing after for the rest of the day (long story, but doctor and physio advised). And I'm not interested in switching bindings on the mountain, hence looking closely at the newer tech bindings...

Ultimately it might come down to which boots fit best anyway, and I'll work around that, but I know the Sole guys normally have quite a few options in stock in winter so could probably accommodate whichever route I wanted. Hmmm -if they're about I'll pop in and see them if I'm climbing in Chamonix next week for a chat.

Anyway, not the worst problem to have Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Changing bindings daily on the mountain sounds rubbish (and quiver-killering your skis to death has its own problems). If you're going to be regularly skinning up once in the morning and then spending the rest of the day doing lift-served downhill, I'd be tempted to avoid tech bindings altogether (or maybe stash my downhill skis at the bottom and swap after the first run, if there was anywhere secure to keep stuff).

What skis are you using, out of interest?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If you're going to be regularly skinning up once in the morning and then spending the rest of the day doing lift-served downhill, I'd be tempted to avoid tech bindings altogether

Having skied the second generation?????
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serriadh, but then what do I use for those other times when I am touring away from lifts all day? I am quite set against frame style touring bindings as I don't like anything interfering with the natural flex of the ski. Ok I'll admit that's probably mostly in my head and it's not actually that bad, but there you go Smile

When I was touring last season I was fortunate in that I could get a really great seasonnaire day rate on skis/bindings/skins from the shop next door, and they were fine for the odd day out. I could do the same this year, but I'll be out a lot more and I really don't want to have to use such a heavy set-up all the time, and the skis were godawful! (on my cheap deal - they had better ones for a lot more)

I have Scott Luna's (166cm length) and Down 6's (now the Countdown 107 in this year's lineup).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get another set of skis? wink Find something lightweight and cheap leftover from last season, insert those and the CD7s for dynafits, stick frame bindings on the Lunas. There are loads of good boots with iso touring and dynafit compatibility, and you only need one pair of boots for this setup. Easy!

Alternatively, insert the lunas for dynafits and frame bindings (that combination usually fits ok, though existing bindings might make that awkward...) and then you don't even need an extra set of skins. You could just mount them with dynafits and see how you like them inbounds, of course, and throw some frame bindings on them later in the season if you cared. Maybe that's the easiest approach.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just had a shipping advice that a Beast 14 will be arriving at my shop on Tuesday so I'll be able to answer all questions then Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy