Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche - Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Pedantica, don't be ridiculous. I bet people commonly put themselves in greater risk off-piste than you would on arrete. It is wide enough for people to walk against you. Don't not do VB due to arrete. I suspect tragedies happened when the snow was icy. Just don't go there on icy or windy days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peanuthead, it scared me just looking at the damn thing on a summer's day! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica, in summer there aren't a constant stream of people walking down it, it's not roped and it's not swept. It's really, really not a problem. Like a staircase. With a (rope) handrail.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, it's true that I get vertigo when hill-walking on terrain which I wouldn't bat an eyelid at in snow/on skis. Just the other week, on Skye, I had to hum a little tune to get me across a mildly hairy traverse which wouldn't have concerned me at all on skis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slow and steady- skis tied to your rucksack- the thought is definitely worse than the doing!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica, it's quite extraordinary how things look so different when covered in snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica Despite having done a fair bit of (summer) via ferrata/ladders/fixed cables in the Alps, I don't have a great head for heights. I do feel safe enough when I'm clipped onto the cable or whatever though - and really didn't find the arrete too bad at all.

As has been mentioned, go slowly and steadily and the job's a good 'un.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To be fair they have greatly improved how they cut and protect the path over the last ten years; the arête was a lot harder in the past.

Certainly worth doing. If you are going from Helbronner then consider traversing at around the height of the base of La Vierge to access the lower half of the Combe Noir route. This takes you down on the opposite side of the Geant icefall to the main 'tourist' route which makes it much quieter and that section, by the icefall, is comfortably steep and pretty much always in the shade so stays powder longer than anywhere else. There's also something satisfying about taking the bus from Chamonix to Courmayer and then skiing back to Chamonix. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I walked down the arête in summer a few years back, on the way to doing Mont Blanc from the Cosmiques Hut. I've climbed a few mountains and exposure doesn't normally bother me but the arête did. I think the thing is that you go from no exposure to very exposed on two sides in a couple of footsteps. Usually as a climber you gradually work your way up on to exposed terrain and you adjust to it as you go. Walking out of a tunnel and through a daft wee wooden gate just doesn't prepare you for what's coming next. But it is only a short walk down hill, so if I was thinking of skiing the VB I wouldn't let it put me off.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A good alternative with a bit more skiing is the the col d'entreves. You find a description here: http://randopedia.net/#!/tours/col_d_entreves
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy