Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB stops (temporarily?) leading in France

Poster: A snowHead
Apols if this is already posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. As a result of a leader getting hauled off the mountain in Val d'Isere earlier this season the SCGB is, for now, planning to stop leading in France next season. Instead it will have "ambassadors" in its resorts who will meet at the lifts and help people figure out where to ski and who to ski with.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9198#.U7KPYygvCeM

Its unclear to me if the new "Ambassadors" will still be on the mountain with guests, just not skiing with them...

Seems a huge shame (as a user of the leading service and SCGB member, its my main reason for being a member). The SCGB's goal is now to use social media and its internet forum to enable like minded skiers to meet up and arrange to ski together - sound familiar...? snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The news is already here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111336
and in the snowHeads SCGB forum
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111337

But the 'ambassadors' and social media news is not mentioned in the other threads

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 2-07-14 7:55; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowdave, It was on Snownews: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111336

Actually boredsurfin in the Snownews thread (in admin's original post) it does mention the "Ambassadors" and members meeting up via the skiclub online forum. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowdave,
Quote:
The SCGB's goal is now to use social media and its internet forum to enable like minded skiers to meet up and arrange to ski together - sound familiar...?
Yup. Just what I was planning to do when they suddenly shut the forum to non-members.

It has since been re-opened to all, except for a couple of MO subforums. I looked in a few times and managed to get them to correct many mangled usernames in the archives - but sadly as an active forum community it's dead as the proverbial...... A new improved forum for arranging meetings etc, as they promise, is no good if no-one ever uses it.

And although the new Ambassador role is prominently displayed and explained in News, the Ski Leader section of the website ("Where can I ski with a Leader") has NOT been updated - and still includes the French Resorts rolling eyes

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/skiclubresorts.aspx

Sorting out their web site and incorporating forum users' sensible comments and suggestions is not SCGB's forte. Even when they have agreed to do something, and of course unlike sH they also have full time paid staff to implement changes, they rarely happen.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahh, thanks, sorry for the repost. I don't frequent snownews and wasn't even aware there was a SCGB sub-forum on here! (tho, given the previous post was over 6m ago, it appears to have even less traffic than the SCGB's own forums).

The Ambassador role is displayed but not really explained - its totally unclear whether they will actually be on the mountain. I wonder if they will take the lift up with guests, point them to a run, meet them a couple of runs later, etc. I skied with an operator ski-host years ago in deux alpes, and that's how they had to "lead" after a run in with the ski school.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowdave, the sH SCGB sub-forum is not really in use any more - it was active when sH was first set up but now it's hidden away in Archives - you're not alone in not being familiar with it. No problems.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the SCGB is going to stop its guiding service in France will that not significantly undermine the objective of joining for many of its Members ? What will its remaining attraction be for those that want to ski in France ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's the sole reason for my membership. I'd love to vote with my feet, but the lure of Val is too great. I feel particularly sorry for the reps who make a lifestyle out of the activities, such as Ken and Paul Mongan.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It's the sole reason for my membership. I'd love to vote with my feet, but the lure of Val is too great. I feel particularly sorry for the reps who make a lifestyle out of the activities, such as Ken and Paul Mongan.

...oops...doesn't this post somewhat weaken their defence that they are volunteers...??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andrewchalmers wrote:
Quote:

...oops...doesn't this post somewhat weaken their defence that they are volunteers...??

Dunno why.. if someone can do multiple leading slots as they are of 'independent means' or can cover their costs over the summer, then why is it any different from someone volunteering in any other capacity for several months?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="feef"]
andrewchalmers wrote:
... Dunno why.. if someone can do multiple leading slots as they are of 'independent means' or can cover their costs over the summer, then why is it any different from someone volunteering in any other capacity for several months?

I think the commercial aspect of the SCGB is pretty clear to anyone without a vested interest in it.

The SCGB/ BASI approach seems to me to lack courage and honesty. It pretends that it's not in business when it clearly is, rather than tackling the root problem. They have relied on their own people breaking laws, rather than using their power to fight the laws. Perhaps now they'll be forced to stand and fight. Or they could just all fade away I suppose.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is an absolutely huge blow to the SCGB. I assume it is a precaution in view of the upcoming court case. I don't think the resorts will like it either - they, in effect, fund the reps being in their resorts so must feel SCGB reps are in the resorts own interests. Clearly the Ambassadors are a stop gap measure - if it carried on in that way it would probably be the end of the scgb (though Fresh-Tracks holidays would survive).
Actually, though, I guess the case against the rep will probably fail through some sort of fudge. Or does the resort support in the form of accommodation and lift pass count as remuneration in a way that cannot be fudged?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.planetski.eu/news/6133

Interesting development ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh come on!!! The SCGB has been a TO for years with the prime objective of turning a profit from their various 'services'. We've all known that the 'Leader' service is funded by both membership subscriptions and resort sponsorship providing the Leaders as a 'subsidized' in-resort recruitment portal. It's a JOB! and one that has been dancing around the legaleez(sic) jargon for as long as this forum has existed. There may be plenty of lovely leader members . . . there are also some complete tw**s. Perhaps that's immaterial, but the SCGB has always known the rules and has been playing games with descriptive semantics for years.
SnowHeads IS the SCGB forum . . . informal as that may be . . . and truth be told all the Ski Party members I've met as slushNuts are sweet people . . . it's only the SCGB representatives who post here that drag the club down to where I enjoy invective discourse.
The Club has lost any and all rights to represent the skiing public of this country, let alone any formal sporting recognition. It is insular, divisive, arrogant and in it's current iteration, obsolete.
Perhaps SnowHead Towers should relocate to Wimbledon?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a simple solution to all this................. make sure the SCGB leader as they get to the bottom of each lift says to the lifty " help I am being followed by all these strange people no matter where I go or what I do I can't shake em ". wink NehNeh
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
The SCGB .... is insular, divisive, arrogant and in it's current iteration, obsolete.

Lord, who cares? It's a membership service organisation that either you think is worth paying for or not. Most apparently conclude not.

The more interesting question is who and why in the French authorities and ski industry thinks this is anything other than an own goal.
ski holidays
Another question that might be relevant - compared to the cost of providing a leader with travel, accommodation, lift pass, food, drink etc for a week would it cost the club more or less to hire a local guide/instructor for the days where the guiding service is actually required?
ski holidays
I don't think the club actually pays for those things, so its not as if dropping the leading service would save much. My understanding is that the leader pays for their training, for travel the ski club gives them £250 (even for Feb half term, so the leader I skied with last year was £200 out of pocket on his £450 flight), accommodation & lift pass are provided by the resort, and food and drink provided by hotel, resort or bar.

Looking at it another way, which European resorts without ski club leaders find it economically viable to provide the kind of service you're suggesting themselves?
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
Masque wrote:
The SCGB .... is insular, divisive, arrogant and in it's current iteration, obsolete.

Lord, who cares? It's a membership service organisation that either you think is worth paying for or not. Most apparently conclude not.

The more interesting question is who and why in the French authorities and ski industry thinks this is anything other than an own goal.

Agree that it's entirely up to the members whether they see SCGB as a worthwhile offering. Personally I'd find it hard to imagine them coming into being in present form in today's world but that's largely down to the lack of focus.

People have talked about French own goals ad naseum in other TO guiding threads. I think it' s trivial. For everyone who switches to another country in protest there will be someone, not necessarily British, more than happy to use that bed space.
ski holidays
Bed space is in oversupply in French resorts outside the peak weeks and significantly more so in 2013/2014 than previously. Or so I was told by someone in a good position to know.
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
Bed space is in oversupply in French resorts outside the peak weeks. Or so I'm told by someone in a good position to know.

Of course it is by definition but I doubt the needle is seriously moved by those who simply must have a rep to ski with. Plus I think Brits have to realise we' re not the only game in town. Not for nothing do resorts target Eastern Europeans , Scandis and Cloggies.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes, i'd agree. During the "crisis" and GBPs weakness our rates fell, our brits reduced but overall occupancy remaines the same.
snow conditions
under a new name, similarly for us, although our Brits started to increase again last winter.
snow report
Hells Bells, our income (annualised) was astonishingly well correlated to EURGBP. What we see now and hope will continue is increasing continental rebookings in low season and increasing Brits.
snow conditions
under a new name, we're doing well out of Spring holiday weekends and our neighbours sometimes book it for their enlarging family, as grandkids have come along since they bought it. French visitors seem to pass it round by word of mouth, many are already familiar with the village and the residence, and know a previous visitor.
snow report
I don't think it is at all clear that repping is a job. What other job do you take on knowing you will be out of pocket? It is not something you can do without some private means. TO guides, by contrast, have a salary very clearly greater than any necessary expenses.
snow conditions
snowball, when I guided, I was paid 40 quid a week pls half board accom...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
snowball, when I guided, I was paid 40 quid a week pls half board accom...

Yebbut a 3 bedroom flat in Belgravia was probably £1,000. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes, probably.
ski holidays
It's going to be interesting when they run the leader's training course in Tignes this December!!!!!!!!
latest report
Update: The leader has been invited back to court on December 8th 2014, probably still only a provisional hearing, this is going to drag on........
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy