Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kastle MX88 or FX94

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, ive had a play on both, albeit indoors (which is mostly pointless) Liked them both but wondering if anybody had any experience with them. I realise they are a slighty different ski. Im not looking for something to be on piste with (I have head titans and a bunch of SL skis for that) so im leaning toward the FX94.

Then comes the question - does anybody know of an outlet with the FX94 still in stock (166) in the uk? (i can find the mx88 easily enough)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PaulC1984,

I see in another thread that you have a racing background and are looking to get into offpiste. The FX94 is quite a burly ski and billed as a great allrounder for an aggressive skier. If you are light (sub 90kg) it might be too much ski for you - (e.g. might dive rather than float in the powder).

If you are looking for a ski to get you into the offpiste and are not too heavy somethiing like the Rossignol Soul 7 would probably be better for offpiste but may not meet your needs onpiste.

The K2 Sideshow could also be a good compromise if you need better hardsnow performance than the Soul 7 offers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cool thanks for this, much appreciated. Unfortunately I only got to test these two skis, certainly need to test more, but rather hard at this time of year Sad . Im currently 76kg, looking to drop to about 69kg for ski season.

I have the head titan which is 80 under foot, so looking for a little wider
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How tall are you?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
170cm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just my opinion - but for offpiste go longer 176cm. (I have similar stats to you)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i was thinking that too. Ive always been on 163 or less, but def think going up a size will be better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blizzard Brahma 173cm for a one ski all mountain solution & leave your Titans at home or if you can take two pairs then the 179cm Whitedot Preacher would compliment your Titans well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I have a double ski tube and like to make the most of BA's baggage limit in club class so I think ill have to take the titans plus 1. Ill have to give the preachers a trial i think!! Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Listen to Jon. 166 way too short for offpiste unless you're a tiny girl. Perversely I' d probably recommend something around 99-100 waist for a first time fat ski but if you've been a racer you can probably leverage something wider.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
....I'd recommend something around 99-100 waist for a first time fat ski but if you've been a racer you can probably leverage something wider.

Normally I'd recommend a rockered tipped ski of that width myself but ex-racers usually prefer a regular cambered turnier radius ski &, as you say, have no problem edging the extra width - & the width underfoot/tip width of the Preacher will give all the float needed for someone of the OP's stats.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon,

i like your thinking and it makes sense to me. I was suprised looking at the fx94 v preachers how much better the radius is on the preacher. At 112 uf id not expect between 14m and 19m rad! Certainly am going to try a set!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984 wrote:
spyderjon,

i like your thinking and it makes sense to me. I was suprised looking at the fx94 v preachers how much better the radius is on the preacher. At 112 uf id not expect between 14m and 19m rad! Certainly am going to try a set!!

I was gobsmacked how good the preachers are in adome. I'm getting a set.

Must talk you you spyderjon about them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
glasgowcyclops, I've got the last few remaining 13/14 Preachers at the right price plus I'm currently doing a pre-order deal on the 14/15's.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon,

youll have to pm me with price inc bindings for this years and next Happy
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
spyderjon, youll have to pm me with price inc bindings for this years and next Happy

PM sent.
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
spyderjon,

Smaller doesn't = better (especially offpiste - in my opinion), just suits different styles of skiing... There's a lot to be said for the stability and predictability of a large turn radius, which actually often makes the ski easier to pivot super quick turns when needed than one with a very aggressive sidecut.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
spyderjon,

Smaller doesn't = better (especially offpiste - in my opinion), just suits different styles of skiing... There's a lot to be said for the stability and predictability of a large turn radius, which actually often makes the ski easier to pivot super quick turns when needed than one with a very aggressive sidecut.

+1

For what it's worth, I have the FX94 and love them. But as one wise man said... a good skier will make virtually any ski work for them, but happiness is finding a ski that wants to ski the way you do. Or the short version: demo.
snow conditions
Well I have taken the plunge and bought the WD Preachers in a 179.

I skied both the Preachers and the FX94's today and was so tempted by the Kastle's. They ski great and I felt at home on them, but after a lot of advice and a kick up the rear from Jon I decided to go for the Preachers. They were a little 'wierd' for me at first having only ever been on skis with a waist of 66ish (ok i have some Titans at 79mm but not had them out of the wrapper yet!), but the preachers are a great ski, which im sure they will come into their outside rather than in a fridge!

We just need the winter to hurry up now. My checklist for new kit is complete! What a boring summer it will now be rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy