Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fewer catered chalet holidays in Switzerland?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
34k a year in Switzerland is not much at all, barely enough to get by. Probably equivalent to 12k a year in the UK.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
never summer wrote:
34k a year in Switzerland is not much at all, barely enough to get by. Probably equivalent to 12k a year in the UK.

According to Wikipedia, Swiss PPP stands at 63 while the UK is at -3. By my maths, 34K in Switzerland is equivalent to £20,200 in the UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny Jones wrote:
never summer wrote:

According to Wikipedia, Swiss PPP stands at 63 while the UK is at -3. By my maths, 34K in Switzerland is equivalent to £20,200 in the UK.

Of course you can't live on the same wage in Bradford as you can in Mayfair. If anything, people working in the alps should get even more - like the 'London weighting' practised by large firms.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit of a storm in Sidcup. If you like to be waited on and feted you can hardly complain about paying out what in Switzerland is a living wage. The good news is that Switzerland really can be a perfect destination for budget ski holidays - the excellent Interhome service provides self-catering accommodation and the really outstanding youth hostels provide a range of options, included fully catered en suite facilities - see http://www.swisswintersports.co.uk/wheretostay.php for details.

And the upside of skiing or snowboarding in Switzerland is you really do get what you pay for. The resorts are superb, there are no lift queues, the slopes are generally high and snowsure and the transport infrastructure is faultless.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I didn't find that. Admittedly I've only been to Laax but for the increased prices I did not think there was an increase in quality. Quite the opposite actually; I was paying more for worse quality than I would receive in Italy, France or Austria. I've heard Verbier and Zermatt are good though and that Laax may not be the norm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nicoatridge, absolutely right.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
madlondoner, as a Swiss resident spending much time in France and Italy, yes, very definately you can find better value for money in Italy, but you have to know where you're going or be lucky (and some areas it's more generally not the case, e.g. Venice).

But in Switzerland there is a vast mid to upper middle market of restaurant quality whereby you will pay more or less the same for a meal and receive more or less a good to excellent meal and service. And the menu du jour will be very good vfm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nicoatridge wrote:
..... there are no lift queues....

Wengen must have changed, then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
don't think you can make any generalisations by country.
Wengen Yup. 3 cable car worths of skiers before getting on board. Champery/Champouusin... had a queue there... oh hold on... no it was just our group of 6, and we couldn;t all fit on the same 4-man chair Wink

Food is good, so long as you like cheese, and don't mind being horrified by the menu prices. Don't recall any bad meals anywhere in Switzerland or Italy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it helps, I had the worst ever Croute Savoyarde in a restaurant in Morgins.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only ever had one bad meal in Switzerland and that was in a hotel owned and run by non Swiss even Mc Donalds in Interlaken has reasonable burgers Shocked

Queues certainly exist in Wengen but typically only for limited time periods often when Ski School is starting, when cable car and train are equally packed, get out a little earlier or later and you can get straight on, Wengen like many Swiss resorts constantly re invests in infrastructure upgrading lifts from t-bars to 2 man chairs to 4 man chairs and so on

Don't forget the part exchange rates play the British pound has devalued considerably vs the Swiss franc over the last 7 years back in 2007 one could get almost 2.5 Francs to the pound now it is a little better than half that given that Swiss inflation is low (near 0%) if we were to look at those same figures at 2007 exchange rates that £34K would be just over £20K
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy