Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor jobs for winter 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Due to the Canadian Government changing rules regarding Temporary Foreign Workers, it looks like the majority of Non Canadian Ski Instructors wishing to work their, won't be able to this winter or in coming seasons.

Two new rules that have really hit ski schools.... a rise from $250 to $1000 per application, for a visa for each individual Instructor....and by 2016, less than 10% of the workforce to be foreign.

So after talking to my Snowsports director, he suggested looking elsewhere, as his gut instinct says it's not looking good over their.

So I'm going to start applying for work elsewhere.

I thought I'd ask the good folk on here as well, as to whether they know of any Ski Schools that will be recruiting this coming season.

I'm an English speaker, studying German and a little French...not yet conversational in either. Over 30.
CSIA level 2, CSCF Race Coach 1, CADS level 1.
Have a lot of experience working with schools.
Have also experience working with Patrol, Rentals, Ski Tuning machinery and the general runnings of a Ski Resort.

Please feel free to give me a heads up, either on the forum or by PM...it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup, the new rules are an issue. It will be pretty tough for those not able to get an under 30s visa
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido, Japan.

A number of ski schools are able to get visas for over 30 year olds.

See my post on this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111093
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spud, take a look here: http://www.sbssv.at/de/jobroom/jobangebote/ Although it is currently in German and a bit on the short side, there will be more and more offers as the new season approaches.

Send me a PM and I'll give you some more info.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for the replies and pm's folks...much appreciated. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Simon Butler Skiing may be looking for instructors in their new Swiss ski school next season snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got an email yesterday from Interski saying they have just opened to take instructor bookings. CSIA2 is good for them (though CSIA1 apparently not for next season, as Aosta authorities do not judge it to be equivalent to their own aspirant / apprentice levels).

But hard to work full-time for Interski unless you combine with a resort job. Though they seemed to be recruituing there too last time I looked.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spud, spud, Do you think "Permanent Residency" Visa would get round the issue. Very interested as Daughter is just starting her application as she wants to stay on in Whistler. Not convinced she will get it but worth trying ? Not sure where you have been working but I am surprised with a lot of experience the Ski School is not will ing to suck up the $750 extra for this year - fully seeing that year after is not going to be easy anywhere. I keep telling her she could earn a lot more as a waitress....

It is a real shame that the Canadian government has caused the grief with sponsored Visa's to try and stop the likes of Macdonalds hire "cheap" over seas staff. It will not stop that issue anyway as there are plenty of people on the IEC Working Holiday Visa to keep them happy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks bobski62, I also received that email Happy

Jake43, The Permanent Residency Visa is pretty much what it says... plus you have to have at least a minimum 1 years uninterrupted employment plus various other issues. It takes ages to get as well.

As for coughing up the extra $750... it's not as easy as that.

80% of our Ski School is made up of foreigners as they just can't get the Canadians to do the work.

Plus when you apply....you pay the $1000 up front....there is no gaurantee that the Government will actually approve and issue the visas...so it's a gamble.

From recent experience with friends in Southern Alberta....they actually seem to be going out of their way to stop foreigners working their. Where they have had jobs over the summer their in the past, all being approved....this year they were not approved and all sent home, even though their employers advertised the jobs properly and couldn't get any Canadians to do the jobs.

Apparently the Industry, Chamber of commerce and other businesses are kicking up a stink and trying hard to get it changed...but I'm not holding out hope tbh.

It seems the Ski Industry is slowly stopping and making it harder for foreigners to work in other Countries...not just Instructing but other parts of the Industry as well.

Canada, USA, France and Italy are all very, very hard to get into...that's a big proportion of the Industry. Obviously if you are under 30 and want to wash pots and bum around...it's not a problem
rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fürstauer Ski School in Saalbach are pretty open to foreign qualifications (a couple of Brits and Danes teaching with their home qualifications when I was there). Also a relatively small family run school, so very personal and nice to work for.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jake43,

You have to meet the requirements for a PR visa, and they are getting tougher and tougher. You have to have a job offer from a profession on the 'list'.

Its not just the extra $750, its the requirement for them to have a certain percentage of home staff and even if applications are approved they won't be approved for the following year. They want the market to become balanced in Canada, ie. not enough ski instructors, well train more and pay them better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spud,

Is it worth contacting RCR? They have slashed season ticket prices at Nakiska, which means loads more families will sign kids up for classes, as these always fill anyway, I suspect they could be more hungry for instructors
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gryphea wrote:
Jake43,

You have to meet the requirements for a PR visa, and they are getting tougher and tougher. You have to have a job offer from a profession on the 'list'.

In the Federal Worker scheme you do not actually need an offer as it takes 18mths to get the VISA I can not see anyone having a valid job offer. Yes it is a huge process and very costly with only certain job categories accepted. None of which is a ski instructor as such.

Quote:
Its not just the extra $750, its the requirement for them to have a certain percentage of home staff and even if applications are approved they won't be approved for the following year. They want the market to become balanced in Canada, ie. not enough ski instructors, well train more and pay them better.

From the look of comment over there it is not directed at the Ski Industry as such it is a country wide law change to manage the amount of low paid jobs going to non-canadians. Not a daft idea really as UKIP is saying the same for this country. However, the ski industry is a special case as not many locals want to to the job. You mention the low pay but the bigger issues are the cost of living and the fact you only get 5mths work before you have to leave and find another job. Yes there are some summer jobs but they run June to September so you have to also fund 4 months of no/little pay too.

All in all we wish she was doing something else ! Including going to Japan but then what do I know Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryphea wrote:
spud,

Is it worth contacting RCR? They have slashed season ticket prices at Nakiska, which means loads more families will sign kids up for classes, as these always fill anyway, I suspect they could be more hungry for instructors

They will still be in the same boat regarding visas and foreign Instructors I'm afraid.

Their Director said they were 25% down on Instructors last year...they couldn't get the Canadians to do it. rolling eyes

Problem is....Canada is like Oz.... small population, but has many well paid jobs in the mining and oil industries. Why work in Tim Hortons when you can go and work for those Industries, get paid loads, and then go skiing all winter for fun.

I know quiet a few Canadians that do that.

As for the UK...funny how many East Europeans I see working their nuts off in this Country, yet every time I walk past Weatherspoons on a week day it's heaving with the Unemployed.... rolling eyes Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spud, I'll be seeing my contacts this weekend and pass on your CV to them both. Fingers crossed for you (not that I think it is needed!)

Quote:
As for the UK...funny how many East Europeans I see working their nuts off in this Country, yet every time I walk past Weatherspoons on a week day it's heaving with the Unemployed.... rolling eyes Sad

have to agree on that one too!
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
spud, I'll be seeing my contacts this weekend and pass on your CV to them both. Fingers crossed for you (not that I think it is needed!)

Quote:

have to agree on that one too!

Thank you so much again... so thoughtful Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
spud,

Tim Hortons will really suffer.

Ski hills suffer from having race clubs as competition in terms of employing Canadians. Race clubs pay better and is probably more fun. Even so race clubs suffer from lack of decent coaches and so ours has a program to grow our own.
ski holidays
spud wrote:

They will still be in the same boat regarding visas and foreign Instructors I'm afraid.

Their Director said they were 25% down on Instructors last year...they couldn't get the Canadians to do it. rolling eyes

Which resort was it as Whistler was fully staffed. At the end of the season though there were loads of well qualified Instructors (Ski & Board) who were fighting for only a few sponsored visas. With out a sponsored visa they can't go back. These sponsored visas are as you say, going to get even more like gold dust. The end outcome is bad for use customers as the ski hills will end up having to rely on new inexperienced staff that can get the 2 years worth of IEC working holiday visa.

So if they can find Canadians to do the job then they will have the result they hope for but I doubt they can. As you point out there are so many much better paid jobs that most Canadians do not want a 5 month contract in a very expensive part of their country. Where they will end up if only 10% staff can come from outside is going to be crazy.

Whistler did a survey and 68% of companies who replied used TWF (Temp Foreign Workers) staff with 25% hiring over 15 staff - note a lot of these are restaurants and bars. There is a Mexican restaurant that is not opening because they can not get enough Mexican Chefs allowed into work !

National emigration policy gone mad for theses very localised conditions.
ski holidays
spud, dont suppose you have any idea when they release the next lot of IEC application quota things for uk people? Website just says no more 2014 left and doesnt say when the next application window opens. is it always around Decemebr and does that in practice mean you cant use it to get a job for this winter season but could use it for 2015/16 season??
snow report
@chrisJersey Last year the IEC applications started in November, the year before it was February. In both instances this was not the same date that they originally stated they would be available, so I'd anticipate November, but worth keeping your eyes on it as they could spring a curveball; and when they're released they go out quick!
snow report
Quote:

National emigration policy gone mad for theses very localised conditions.

My work will really struggle. We are an engineering consultancy and we traditionally actively recruit in Britain and recruit elsewhere too, loads from oz and NZ. We must have over 15% on work permits I would think at some times. We typically can't recruit experienced Canadians, obviously there are exceptions, but the eastern canadians tend to not want to leave even for more money and people based in Vancouver don't want to leave, so in my speciality we really struggle for experienced candidates. We have a scale A-F, when very few are Fs and in my section there are around 6 Ds and Es that are british, 3 Canadians and 1 HK chinese. So 7 out of 10 came over on WPs at sometime.
latest report
chrisJersey, It is more likely to be December as that was the first lot last year. They went in less than 20mins of opening up though so you really do need to be on the ball. They will probably tell you on the website (they did last year) when this date is in December but looking from Nov is not a daft idea as lwolewis, said previous year it was Feb.... ! They seem to be changing the system each year and hopefully the computer system will not be crashing as much this year as well.

If you do not make it in the first lot they have for the last couple of years split the applications up into 3 lots so you get another couple of bites at the cherry later. It will tell you the dates on the website. Remember you have about 20mins max at each opening ! Very stressful. Hope you are lucky.

If you get a VISA this next year the best it will come through will be mid Jan if you were in the first lot. You get 12 months from when you activate the visa, to work in Canada. You activate by entering the country. If you are already there you have to go out and back in.
snow report
gryphea, Appreciate your issues too but Whistler is going to be in big trouble. Already this year restaurants have been shutting part time as they do not have staff and it will only get worse. They do not understand that locals want a proper job and it is only travelling labour that would put up with sharing a room with 3 people and still paying $500 a month for it whilst struggling to earn enough for food.

Not sure what the Government is trying to achieve when they could put a points system in place that would get the right sort of people to come to Canada and not any they do not want. A long time ago they had a policy of making people go to the less populace or popular areas for a few years if they wanted to get into the country - maybe you could campaign for that again but I guess Calgary would not be in that area.

It is just crazy that people with qualifications you want can not fill jobs provided you also offered the job to locals too. At least you have proper long term jobs to offer. Part time, casual and short season (5mths at best) places like ski resorts are going to struggle when they just can't get the staff; at least the wages may go up for anyone with a visa and they can afford to eat.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 26-08-14 17:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
lwolewis, Jake43, thanks both. From the site it looks like you cant start the application in advance ie have to wait until it opens and then register etc. As you say you only have a short time to do this do you have any tips on process so as not to duff it up on the day (assuming i work out when that will be)?
ski holidays
Not many other tips than be there from the start, and be on it quickly, as @Jake43 said - it's a pretty stressful process, and they don't make it any simpler!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy