Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WD Preachers dying - replacement suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

I just wanted to tap into the great knowledge of snowheads to help me with a conundrum. Unfortunately my Preachers are on deaths door and will need to be replaced next season.

I am starting to try to put together a list of potential replacements and was looking for some thoughts/help.

To give you a bit of background, I’m short and round (5’ 9” and around 100kgs) and I tend to be an aggressive enough skier (power over technique unfortunately.) Most of my skiing is off piste, with tours up to 2.5-3 hours, but ski with gf and dad on piste a couple of times a season. Skills wise – I am competent, comfy enough skiing most things, love steeps/trees/couloirs.

My current Preachers are 179 but I would look to go with 189 if I was to stick with Preachers. I would be very tempted by the carbon version but would also be keen to see what other options are out there. I would tend to prefer a stiffer ski and like the flexibility of the Preacher so would be looking for something similar.

Any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you still want the 16m radius? and normal camber?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I would tend to prefer a stiffer ski and like the flexibility of the Preacher so would be looking for something similar.

Puzzled
To my mind these requirements contradict each other; could you clarify?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you want serious of laffs? The new carbon Rangers and Directors are contenders in each respective category. Plus stuff from the big brand catalogues of course - personally I'd check out the Blizzard, Atomic and Nordica freeride/sidecountry lines

PS the future is 5 point with a big but that you need confidence that the nose will truck through crud.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dulcamara, Happy to go with a bigger radius, as for camber, I have always skied traditional, so have yet to embrace the rocker but have nothing against it. Just used to the traditional feel.
abd, sorry, that was badly expressed - I like a stiffer ski and like the fact that the preacher is works well in most conditions as well as on piste. Hope that clarifies it...I blame a lack of editing.

Dave of the Marmottes, 5 point??
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I took a while to make the change from normal camber to reverse camber or rocker, honestly have not looked back!

obviously you are only looking for one pair so they need to be an allrounder and you need to be sure (cuz they're damn expensive wink )

Couple of questions, how often are you actually carving on your preachers and how often do you steer your turns?

for what it's worth I think the Blizzard scout might be a good fit, no rocker but full reverse camber, a touring ski but certainly not soft or light! would be surprised the fun you can have on the most horrible of conditions, but you would need to try it first (might hate it on piste)

alternatively there are a million skis with a little tail rocker you could try...

If all else fails and you are set on regular camber I have a pair of 186 Ski Logik Howitzers for sale you might love wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dulcamara, thanks for the advice. I have a second pair, Sultan 88s that I used to use when messing about on piste etc, but find I struggle to get two pairs onto the plane and be under the weight restrictions, so mainly sticking to one now. I do actually tend to carve the preachers - but do steer turn if I am being very lazy.

Out of interest, why are you selling the Howitzers? Stunning looking ski and good reviews from what I have seen.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dublinfella wrote:
dulcamara, thanks for the advice. I have a second pair, Sultan 88s that I used to use when messing about on piste etc, but find I struggle to get two pairs onto the plane and be under the weight restrictions.....

Dublinfella you need Quiver Killer inserts so you can share one pair of bindings across both pairs of skis & flat pack the skis for transportation.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5 point side cut = tip - widest nose - waist - widest tail- tapered tail

Sidecut is between points 2 to 4. Nose usually rockered. Very common now in non piste skis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dublinfella,

selling the Howitzers because, like I said, having moved to reverse camber, I have no wish to go back to a tail with a regular camber. When things get really nasty (like this season) having a ski that pivots quickly is a god send. But that's just me, I never ski on piste even when things are horrible so you know "horses for courses" The ski Logiks are epic on piste and in powder, its just in the horrible stuff they were too stiff for me (75kg).

My advice for different skis for different conditions is generally, take your pair you will use 90% of the time and then rent if things move outside that range... plus then you get to play with new toys and pretend you are a real ski tester (which is always fun) wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dublinfella, Just in case, you are not aware, the 189 Preacher is much stiffer than the 179, I always think its almost a different ski when I ski them.

The new carbon for next season is an improvement over last seasons with a 3 carbon system, so much stronger than before, not that the old ones were weak! Whitedot are quoting a 150% stronger ski. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, don't worry, I am pretty sure the next ones will have QKs in them. You have sold me already!
dulcamara, I had looked at the Howitzers before (Blister Gear Review) and was quite tempted (bar the cost.) Just out of interest, how much are you looking for them.
livetoski, Yes, I know the 189s are stiffer. I haven't skied them though, but interesting that you think they are almost a different ski.

Hmm, I will have to get scratching the brain again and see if I can get the sparks flying!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dublinfella, at 100kg the 189cm Preacher would be no problem for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am 6 foot, 80Kg and ski the 189 Preachers with no problem. My go to ski for off-piste and powder skiing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, Yeah, I get on pretty well with the Preachers, so am tempted just to re-new...but also keen to have a look and see what else should be in the mix. If I was re-newing, definitely go for the 189s.
snow report
Dublinfella, check out the Whitedot Ranger 186cm & the new Whitedot Director 191cm.
ski holidays
spyderjon, what are the Ranger and Director aimed at over the Preacher, or visa versa?
snow report
Dublinfella, Sorry, was exploring over the weekend...

I was asking for 300€ for the Ski Logiks (just used a few times and in great condition) so with the rubbishness of the euro at the moment, about 250 GBP, would just need to get them back to the UK. No Dynafits on them anymore but holes professionally filled.

Fair warning though, they are nothing like the Preachers....
snow report
dulcamara, thanks for getting back to me. In fairness, probably won't pull the trigger for a while, but will give you a shout if I know what I am doing.
snow conditions
I'd stick with the preachers.. I bought last seasons model in 189 after testing a lot of skis in the same category and for me these outshone the others by far! Mine are mounted with Salomon guardian 13s and don't feel overly heavy for touring.

Mark
latest report
TheSkiShuttle, welcome to snowheads..

Hate that the first response you get is a bit of an argument but; the weight of those skis is 2.4 kg per ski (at 179) plus 1.5 kg per binding, that's nearly 4kg per foot excluding the amount of extra skin required to cover a 155mm tip! Either you are a BEAST, in which case I am not arguing you are totally right, please don't kill me, or you don't know what a tourable ski should feel like. Also I have toured on the Preacher and getting the shovel through set tracks or to grip on hard pack is a pain in the backside!

Whitedot make some great skis to tour on, the preacher is as far from a touring ski as I can imagine!
snow conditions
The actual Preacher weights are less than quoted by WD. The Preacher 179's are 2030/2040g per ski so that'd be about 3060g per ski mounted with an F10/12, & about 400g lighter for the CarbonLite version. But the tip is wide for skinning tracks.
snow report
I have only ever toured using the Preacher, so don't know any different, but found them to be fine for anything under 2.5-3 hours. The only exception being earlier this season when I hadn't done much training - my bad! At the moment, I have Dukes on the 179s but if going with the 189s would be tempted by the Carbon's and might look at getting some lighter bindings as well.) I definitely should have gone for the F12s instead of the Dukes...but my bad.
snow report
If you want to tour on a fat ski, get a super straight one. My EHPs fit in every skin track, as even though they are 116mm underfoot, the tips are a similar width to many much skinnier skis.

Also just drink the Dynafit cool-aid; actually makes the skinning part fun!
snow conditions
^^^^^ What he said ^^^^

Touring rig these days is Volkl Nunataq with Dynafit FT12, just incredible ! Because I'm often smashing early morning crust, have moved away from leg jarring Carbon in the skis (Vulcans and dynafits are already unforgiving enough) Though I'm only 75kG so while I like to think I ski hard maybe i dont generate the power you bigger kids do!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy