Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protectors - your thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

So, after 25 years of skiing, im thinking about the merits of getting a back protector.

I always tend to ski fast, albeit always on piste. On the last few times that I have fallen (which doesn't happen to often thankfully) my back seems to have taken a knock. I hate wearing a back pack when skiing, so wondered what people thought of back protectors, are they worth it and can you recommend one if so?

Hope you are all having a great summer! roll on the winter! Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Used one for over 10 years since smashing shoulderblade in a mountain bike crash. Now got a Dainese from sportpursuit. Dead easy, don't notice it. Wears out your jacket faster though. Saved me a couple of times scraping over rocks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get a model which is easily washed. My old one had open cell foam in it which meant it took ages to dry after washing and it still smelled awful.

M
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cool thanks to you both. My only worry is the overheating / sweating. Do they get too hot? Dainese seems the obvious one, always used there shin/pole guards when racing and couldnt fault them
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Treat it as one clothing layer. On a warm sunny day I find a thin base layer, backprotector and a shell jacket ok. But an insulated skiing jacket would be too hot.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thought as much, I have a Spyder jacket that can be warm enough most days with just a base layer! Looks like ill be sweating or buying another jacket (its always good to have an excuse Happy )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ive used a few but swear by the scott d3o one ive got now, dont even know youre wearing it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wear one from time to time after breaking my back a few years ago. I have given up now however because it is just too hot. And mine is just the sort of tortoise shell, back only type of protectors. I initially ordered a motocross style body armour jacket but it was too restrictive to even think of wearing on the slopes. I've always thought the d30 ones looked clever so might try one of them in the future iskar
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
iskar wrote:
ive used a few but swear by the scott d3o one ive got now, dont even know youre wearing it.

Which one in particular do you use, there seems to be a few D3O ones
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Back protectors vary depending on the use and the amount of protection you need.

If your a freestyle type of skier and doing jumps and loads of park inverts then a full spine protection system with both mem foam and hard shell parts might be best.

If your a racer then for downhill and the likes there are set standards that must be used.

On pure recreation side then some of the lighter weight systems, with just foam or D30 are OK, and really go super light weight so they do not over heat you.

Have a look around and see whats out there usually this time of year there are decent clearance sales on protection gear. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski wrote:
Back protectors vary depending on the use and the amount of protection you need.

If your a freestyle type of skier and doing jumps and loads of park inverts then a full spine protection system with both mem foam and hard shell parts might be best.

If your a racer then for downhill and the likes there are set standards that must be used.

On pure recreation side then some of the lighter weight systems, with just foam or D30 are OK, and really go super light weight so they do not over heat you.

Have a look around and see whats out there usually this time of year there are decent clearance sales on protection gear. Very Happy

This was my thought. I want protection, but im certainly not wanting to fall into the 'all the kit and full of Sh*t' clan!

Like the look of the Dainese soft spine or similar
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I ve used the Ortovox Freeride rucksacks after a significant disc injury that ended in surgery and rehab - not just for protection but also because I liked the lumbar support from the waist belt and the way I could adjust that . The 2013/14 model now has a removable back protector that you can wear on it's own as well. Personally, I prefer having the ability to cinch the lumbar into the "on" position when skiing and loosen it when on lifts, q'ing etc. Obviously may be overkill/different for you - but good time to buy now !

edit for sp etc..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mishmash wrote:
I ve used the Ortovox Freeride rucksacks after a significant disc injury that ended in surgery and rehab - not just for protection but also because I liked the lumbar support from the waist belt and the way I could adjust that . The 2013/14 model now has a removable back protector that you can wear on it's own as well. Personally, I prefer having the ability to cinch the lumbar into the "on" position when skiing and loosen it when on lifts, q'ing etc. Obviously may be overkill/different for you - but good time to buy now !

edit for sp etc..

I've tried desperately to get one, but given i dont really like skiing with a pack was looking for something like the freerider 16 in black/blue, but just cant find one anywhere. I can find them in 24L but it would be too big for me. if you know where I can find one, im all ears Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No sooner do I post the above, I do a new search and find 3!! Im either a dumb a** or somebody has found some in their stores Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.47degrees.com/products/details/i/15461-27r01/n/ortovox-free-rider-16-pack.aspx - change the colour to black and hey presto ! £69!! Good local ski shop in Fulham, not just interwebz, would recommend. No connection, other than as customer.
snow report
mishmash wrote:
http://www.47degrees.com/products/details/i/15461-27r01/n/ortovox-free-rider-16-pack.aspx - change the colour to black and hey presto ! £69!! Good local ski shop in Fulham, not just interwebz, would recommend. No connection, other than as customer.

I could kiss you!! (metaphorically o course) In all my searches I didn't come across this site, and the packs are nearly half the price of other sites! Should you be at a bash ill owe you a drink!
latest report
It will all wash out in Karma I hope! More importantly, watch out for your back...
snow report
Seriously, thanks for this, much appreciated!
snow report
OUCH thats a really good price on the packs, the Freeriders all sold out very quick due to the re design, 47deg, must have some stock left to clear Shocked Shocked

The Freerider sizes are based on your spine length and the volume, so its the 16 and the 24 for shorter people, under 5' 7" usually, and the 18 and the 26 for above that or if your a little over weight as well rolling eyes Laughing

I can not get more Freeriders until Sept or Oct, shame really as I get asked for them all summer usually
snow report
Its a super price. Luckily im short and thin enough (just about) to grab myself a bargain!
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
OUCH thats a really good price on the packs, the Freeriders all sold out very quick due to the re design, 47deg, must have some stock left to clear Shocked Shocked

The Freerider sizes are based on your spine length and the volume, so its the 16 and the 24 for shorter people, under 5' 7" usually, and the 18 and the 26 for above that or if your a little over weight as well rolling eyes Laughing

I can not get more Freeriders until Sept or Oct, shame really as I get asked for them all summer usually

47 Degrees have some seriously good prices on base layers too!! Half the prices of most places Happy
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
47 Degrees have some seriously good prices on base layers too!! Half the prices of most places

Still twice the price of Aldi.
snow report
Happy I have tried aldi ones in the past, but I sweat pretty badly, The Ice breaker base layers do a much better job for me. (I realize the aldi ones we merino too)
snow conditions
My Slytech 2nd skin is excellent, doesn't impede movement and after about ten minutes it's molded to you so you don't notice it's there and it saved me from some painful impacts, plus it was really cheap flights on sports pursuit.
ski holidays
Another vote for the Slytech, I've been using one on and off and it's really very comfy. I'm used to wearing back protectors when riding and racing motorcycles so it's not something new to me, but the Slytech is more comfortable than any others I've tried.
latest report
@feef, "I'm used to wearing back protectors when riding and racing motorcycles"

Me too, I wear Forcefield back and chest protection when racing. Just want something easy to wear and not get in the way - don't know what to go for. What's the Dainese Winter stuff like compared to Slytech? I'm not a "sweater" but I don't want to overheat ...
latest report
I realise the original post was last year, but in response to irie, I wear a Forcefield Lumbar Protector Pro L2 when skiing. I have a weak lower back and that thing is great for support as well as protection. It moulds to the body brilliantly and I won't ski without it. In very cold conditions it keeps my vital organs warm and in warmer conditions it is not too hot for me, even with an insulated jacket, but I am slim.

I get some funny looks in restaurants when people see it, but I don't care.
ski holidays
@Walter-Spitty, Thanks for your post, had pretty much come to the same conclusion. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a lot of back problems, 2 lots of surgery for prolapsed discs. I had a back protector once but sold it as the few times I fell was always on my side which was unprotected. If you think about it, other than if you're into backflips etc there isn't actually that much chance you'll fall directly on your back, at least not in my case. Snowboarding much more likely to fall flat on your back.

I'm sure somebody will be along to disagree shortly but I'm just saying in my experience, about 45 years of skiing, I've never actually fallen on my back.
snow report
swishtony wrote:
I have a lot of back problems, 2 lots of surgery for prolapsed discs. I had a back protector once but sold it as the few times I fell was always on my side which was unprotected. If you think about it, other than if you're into backflips etc there isn't actually that much chance you'll fall directly on your back, at least not in my case. Snowboarding much more likely to fall flat on your back.

I'm sure somebody will be along to disagree shortly but I'm just saying in my experience, about 45 years of skiing, I've never actually fallen on my back.
or someone crashing into you from behind
ski holidays
@Sack the Juggler,
Quote:

or someone crashing into you from behind

That's what worries me, my brother-in-law having nearly died as a result of a hit-and-run from behind. Presumably, had he been wearing a back protector, the damage to his ribcage would have been less.
snow conditions
Quote:

Forcefield Lumbar Protector Pro L2
Having now looked at this, I see it only protects the lumbar region. (I guess the clue was in the name!)
ski holidays
I had a compression fracture of a vertebra in my avalanche accident in 2010. Since then I've worn a Forcefield Sport Lite 2. I've no idea whether it has prevented injury in the odd fall I've had since then. I forget I'm wearing it. And it does help keep you warm.
snow report
Sack the Juggler: "or someone crashing into you from behind"

Yep, that's another big reason why I wear one - standing on the side of a wide piste in what seemed like a safe place, when suddenly something slams into my ski boots and I'm floating in mid air until landing on my back with a thump. Then there's a teenaged English snowboarder standing over me, asking if I'm ok, with a look of sheer terror on his face. No harm done thankfully and that's the only time in 31 trips that I've been taken out so forcefully and suddenly by someone else.
latest report
Quote:

I'm sure somebody will be along to disagree shortly

Happy to oblige! A friend had a fall on a black piste, quite hard surface but pisted, and nothing out of the ordinary and hurt his back quite badly. It took him ages to get it right again and he wears a back protector now though I'm not convinced that it would protect his back in a similar fall, as I reckon the damage was done by the twisting impact as he slammed down onto the snow rather than any specific "bash".
snow conditions
@pam w, but you're agreeing not disagreeing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I've screwed up badly once this winter got " out of control" and launched off an icy lip with resultant back slam. My back still hurts when immobile for a while but spine was dandy when it could have been way worse. I'm an anecdotal believer ( and patsy in the pay of the global back protector oligarch scammasters)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy