Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacement discs to go wider on stance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been reccomended to widen my stance to allow my knees to bend more naturally. Problem is, I'm already at the widest my stance will go, and my 4x4 Cartel discs won't turn sideways because of the hinge to give me any more width.

I've been told that other discs will provide more mounting options allowing for more width - in particular apparently Forum had some before they were shut down.

Anyone got any suggestions or stockists?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Drill some extra mounting holes? I'm sure spyderjon could quiver kill you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reckon DotM has it right. Get 4 QuiverKiller inserts and extend the existing mounting pattern on the board. Don't forget to do front and back or you'll shift your weight too far forward or aft.

Just checking No.1 - it's not a Burton ICS mount or anything, right?
Just checking No.2 - Its a rare day that a modern board won't accommodate a ridiculously wide stance - have you had a second opinion about your riding stance before you start breaking out the drill?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Who has recommended that you ride such a wide stance? Doesn't sound like good advice, unless your board is also too small.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevomcd wrote:
Who has recommended that you ride such a wide stance? Doesn't sound like good advice, unless your board is also too small.

This as well - unless you're really affecting some absurd splayed stance most boards should accommodate if they're long enough.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What they said.

I would not mod a board like this this because the board was *designed* with the inserts where they are for a reason. If you need a wider stance, chances are you need a bigger board.

I'm suspicious though - I've never come across anyone who couldn't happily drive any standard grown-up board (of the correct size of course), and I know some very tall American Football player types. That doesn't sound very likely.

Forum's main feature was the channel system, which Burton acquired from them and morphed into their EST/ICS stuff.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was also surprised that my stance needed to go even wider, but I can feel it when flexing, the knees just go the 'right' way when I stand just a touch wider.

Regarding board length, yes, it probably is a tad short, 155 when I'm just under 6'. On the otherhand, various BASI trainers have given me length reccomendations from 151 to 158cm - real lack of consensus on this!

Might look at quiver killering, but I'm not sure it's worth it, the board's half dead. I know you can get discs that will allow you to shift the bindings sideways along the board lengthways as well as over the board widthways - the new burtons don't let you do this due to the re-flex system which is my issue. Would rather go with the £5 solution here, or just buy larger next time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think you will find any other discs that will fit these bindings. The old Burton discs which had the length wise slots do not fit and I think the old Forum discs where the same as these. So either get a different board or some different bindings. If you get bindings with length wise slots this will only let you move each binding an extra cm, is this enough?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi dude.

do you have any video of your riding, would be interesting to see your stance

Mini
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

I don't have any vids of my riding, although I've looked at them many times. Trying to avoid crunching at the waist with the wider knees.

Snowrider - an extra cm on each end may well be fine. I guess I could also drill out the bindings I have a little? Should be able to put just 4 holes in each without ruining everything?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
before you rush into potentially damaging your bindigns can you try to get a photo of you on the board. does not even need to be on snow just strapped in.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I really would not drill those disks. I think it would be safer to try turning the hinge disks and running them sideways!
Otherwise get on ebay and pick up a set of cheap 10 year bindings to try and see if a cm is enough, otherwise its an excuse to buy a new board, 155cm is pretty short if you are nearly 6 foot.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd say a 155 is short if you're 6'. I'm 5'11" and ride a 159 for most stuff, 162 in powder, 156 in park. Your weight is more important than your height, of course.

My 159 is an Amplid UNW8. Very, very light board, but part of keeping the weight down means there aren't as many inserts as you might expect, so I've had to bodge my stance slightly wider using the discs (fortunately I don't need toe-heel adjustment).

I'd get a bigger board or find one with more stance options.

If it was Neil advising you on board length, just point out that he rides a board he stole from a 7 year old girl. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy