Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 14/15 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Feels as unpredictable as ever - we had unseasonally warm weather during March, and now it looks like we'll have unseasonally cold weather during Easter. The only thing you can predict about the weather is that you can't predict it (but everyone will have fun trying). It's my go... generally it'll be cold at some points and warmer at other points. NehNeh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MWAHAHHA today was deep! Only jsut got to the office and now need to work around midnight, but who cares when tomorrow is going to be even deeper Very Happy Very Happy Snowline below 700m now btw. High winds, high avalanche danger and terrible vis means treeskiing for a few days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it's been fine and sunny again in Vars. Light winds today so went across to Risoul. Pistes firm this morning, getting a bit soft in the afternoon, but for April overall pretty good, and it is always good to be able to relax with a beer in the sun.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Certainly, from my memory, we have had a colder spring than usual

Not from my memory - we had a good few weeks with temperatures well above seasonal average. But it's cold now, and it's been snowing, and there is no doubt that the snow at Easter is going to be (as usual) better than it was at Christmas, in resorts right across the Alps. Far better, given how awful Christmas was.

You're probably right I just remember VT getting a little slushy around now this time last year. The recent dump and cold weather now means that things will be pretty good right till the lifts close regardless.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it was warm last year too, @emwmarine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w when you get to my age the years and seasons just tend to blur together. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weather forecasts continue to be all over the place.
Local La Plagne forecast is a case.
-9C at the top and rain. +5C at the bottom and snow Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last spring was warm, I don't remember much snow from March until last week of April, by which time no-one could be bothered to put gear on.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glance at the current state of play out west. Not pretty.

http://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@never summer, You were in the wrong place then, we had masses starting from 22nd March right through to the end of the season, even the temperatures returned to cold after a relatively warm first 3 weeks in March. Between 22nd and 24th March we had 80cms fall in the Wagrain area and it kept on being topped up. Doing the same again now as well Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am not certain about "masses" but I remember now that we had snow too on the weekend of extreme (rain in the village) but the following two weeks were very warm with some snow back after Easter. In any case I don't mind it warm and sunny at the season end as by this time we are normally skied-out and like to sit in the sun with some rosé, or just have a BBQ on a terrace in the chalet instead of heading to the slopes. Big snow I think returned (as it usually does) after closing weekend here Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1/3 of one run today (turn the volume up - I get a little over excited Embarassed):

https://vimeo.com/123984214

It's pretty Be Nice please! good here right now!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, nice vid! Looks smashing!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, what height are those trees? Trying to see what places like sonnenkompf will be like Tuesday...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, the bottom is around 1400m. You can safely ski trees to at least 1200m now though.
snow report
@clarky999, Laughing Laughing Laughing love it! That´s what it´s all about, and more of the same today! Today will be madness Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I always wanted to know how to pronounce MWAHAHHA clarky! (I always thought it was a bit more sinister, like the baddie in Austin Powers or something, but I'm delighted to hear its really an expression of pure joy)
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, @Kooky, @8611, thanks Laughing Embarassed

Kooky wrote:
@clarky999, Laughing Laughing Laughing love it! That´s what it´s all about, and more of the same today! Today will be madness Madeye-Smiley

Today started great, but ended up getting a bit too mad... Avi level 4, people skiing sketchy slopes, other people without avi kit dropping in above... I called it quits and went back to the trees (tracks filled in again Very Happy) and now I'm back in the office... Looks like it's gonna be ON again at the weekend though!!

How're things in Ski Amade? Looks like you guys got the goods too?

BTW, anyone been around Gran Paradiso area recently? Heading over on Monday for some touring but I'm a little concerned about the high winds recently...
ski holidays
Colder weather will move away from eastern Alps by Wednesday. Then sunny and warming up quickly.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, but the colder weather is currently going out with bang, intense snowfall for last few hours here in Schladming and I hear down the valley in Altenmarkt. Maybe 15-20cms of cold snow in town so far.Conditions already superb, tomorrow another epic. This must be 5th day of significant snowfall, great way to end the season. Roll on next season.
latest report
Still a month to go, don't wish this season away yet.
snow conditions
@waynos, yep snow settling in town in St Anton now. Should be sunny but cold first thing in morning.
ski holidays
Going out again next Thursday so hoping conditions stay very good for another couple of weeks.
ski holidays
Any hope of the temperatures across the western Alps dropping a bit next week and a sudden stormy front coming in...?
Off to L2A on Saturday for one last hurrah.
ski holidays
Quote:

abbosphere
user

Any hope of the temperatures across the western Alps dropping a bit next week and a sudden stormy front coming in...?
Off to L2A on Saturday for one last hurrah.

I am going to Val d'isere on Sunday and it has pretty much snowed on and off for 2 weeks. Looks like snow showers Fri-Sunday so should be fantastic for mid April. Don't know why you want it to colder to be honest, looks like it will be around 0 degrees during the day. Should be an outstanding week for the second from last week of the season.
snow report
I'm just being greedy @mheadbee, agreed should be an awesome week for this time of year!
snow report
View from Gran Paradiso (4061m) the other day:

Plenty of snow up high, even on all the 'little' mountains below wink

120mm wide skis were not the best tool for the uphill...
latest report
Anticyclone sat right over the highlands and not moving over the next 6 days. Very sunny, calm and dry air. Perfect skiing conditions!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1429228800

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well It was snowing yesterday in Obergurgl at around 2200M yesterday, also snowed overnight and was snowing lightly in the village when I left at around 10am this morning. Closing in just over a week suspect if they wanted to they could keep the place open a good bit longer.
ski holidays
Schaldming GFS , crazy precip forecast - is this in error?

ski holidays
@waynos, are you talking about the dark blue at the end of the run? I would suggest that's not an error just a possible scenario for a large storm, it doesn't mean that it will fall as snow either. It's two weeks away so this will have a low chance at this point of coming true. The weather was similar this time last year with late season storms just after I left Ischgl approx end of April/start of May.
latest report
@AthersT, I was referring to the whole precip from 23 onwards really, that's a wet couple of weeks and yes I'm aware it may not fall as snow, particularly lower down, but there does seem to be a dip in temps forecast around 29th BUT it's all just a forecast. I'm considering a trip out around weekend of 2 May so will be keeping an eye on the developments. This GFS interpretation for Obertauern (only open lifts in area and above treeline skiing) shows snowfall for the 23rd http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/obertauern
snow report
@waynos, yeah the forecast is reflected across much of the eastern Austrian alps. Shame the temps rarely stay low enough at this time of year for it to stick around, especially as its wettest April - October. I have a work shutdown at the end of May and I'm considering going to Austria for a bit of Glacier skiing, if the OH will allow!
ski holidays
it always snows to the valleys in mid-May - whats the Austrian name for the date again? Eis something?
ski holidays
Eisheiligen or Eismänner
snow report
@clarky999, here's the English explanation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints. More detail here in the German page http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisheilige.

I don't put my balcony flowers out until after the "Kalte Sophie" - because "die kalte Sophie macht alles hie" as they say down here! I have the boxes planted and aclimatising though but on the balcony floor and against the wall of my apartment just in case she nips them with frost! wink She has done by the way most years since I've been out here! Toofy Grin
latest report
My grandfather, who lived in Cardiff, always chided my mother if she put us in summery clothes in a warm April "We haven't had the lambing snows yet" he'd warn gloomily. rolling eyes
latest report
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Cool down into next week with the possibility of fresh snow in the north for the last weekend of the season in May Very Happy
snow report
@pam w, must have been colder then. Rare to get any snow in the 'Diff these days (last good dump was two years ago - none last year or this year).
ski holidays
Eisheiligen, that was it! Thanks @davidof and @Samerberg Sue
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy