Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for Beginner to Intermediate locations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I am after some recommendations please for somewhere to go on another ski trip.
I have been to Bansko which I really didnt like.. I felt the jump from their nursery slope to their easiest slope were worlds apart and far too busy.

We have booked to go to Andorra next March as I have read a lot of reviews about their cruisy blues and ease of navigating the slopes.

We are looking at another trip this season and I wanted some recommendations...

I was considering Ellmau but after reading a few reviews on here I am unsure of whether there are better options...
I saw Pam say the following which I thought fitted me perfectly..

"Some resorts manage this transition a lot better than others, and is always worth exploring if you're beyond the complete beginner stage and not yet at the intermediate "tackle any red" stage. "

I am still building my confidence and am on blue runs and I still find those challenging.. I can parallel ski although not with much tecqnique and I am still a fairly slow skiier... I plan to have lessons but want to try and pick a resort that will help me build my confidence.

Someone mentioned Valmorel as a good option?
I am looking for somewhere with a good selection of runs but not too challenging, I dont plan on facing any reds just yet! Also somewhere that isnt too packed.. we will not be going in half term but I know some resorts can still get very busy regardless.

Cost isnt an issue really... I just want to go somewhere that is a good match for my ability where I can build confidence and enjoy myself, thanks! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ellmau is an excellent option if you go mid-winter. Early (December) or late (March) season perhaps not so good, as the resort's quite low. The same would apply for Valmorel.

Plenty of other options: Lech, Obergurgl and Obertauern all have plenty of easy slopes in Austria (plus Ellmau). Alpe d'Huez, Les Saises, Flaine, Courchevel 1850, Morzine, Les Gets, Montgenevre, the higher villages in La Plagne in France. Cortina, Madonna di Campiglio, Passo Tonale, Cervinia, many villages in the Sella Ronda (Arabba being an exception) in Italy. Saas Fee in Switzerland.

I would probably suggest picking somewhere in the list above (or anywhere else someone else recommends), but also think about your other criteria - time of year, type of accommodation, stuff to do off the slopes, getting there etc. etc. and have a look online (or ask here) to narrow it down.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for all of your tips.. in terms of time of year likely to be first week or last week in Feb to avoid school holidays...
Accomodation we are flexible but would prefer somewhere catered or half board which may rule out Valmorel as most seem to be self catering... Not worried about things to do off the slopes particuarly.... would prefer a resort where we didnt have to get buses every day unless it just a short transfer but not worried about ski in ski out...
All of the above comes secondary to the slopes...

Not sure if that narrows it down at all Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lots of catered chalets run free pick ups and drop offs to the slopes - but word to the wise, ask how many minibuses the company has to service its chalets - I've heard horror stories of people waiting whilst 1 of 2 minibuses services 12 chalets Shocked

out of a point i normally only stay with a company who has 1 chalet and 1 minibus that way there's no waiting at all and can be picked up when i like Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel 1850 has plenty of greens (some wide ones too) and easier blues (and the odd harder ones), stay in La Tania for cheaper and you can ski over to courchevel, the blue back is a bit steeper at the top but once past that you can come down the green into la tania or blue (there's always the free bus back too, although skiing is much more pleasurable Smile. Plenty of different runs to build up confidence.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go to Whistler if money no problem and just ski greens all week. There is a green option from every lift and the all day guiding/lessons are very good with max 4 in a group now (thought they may change that for next year). Plenty of boarding options or just go on a package and let the TO sort you out. $CAD conversion good at the moment so it is actually cheaper than one could think.

If there are queues they are well managed with polite merging and full lifts - more capacity going in for next year too.

If you book a week you can get 6 days skiing as the plane back is not until late on the last day so ski in morning then come home on over night flight.

The speak a version of English too. We love it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Em1986, I'd check the holiday dates of the Country you end up visiting to make sure you don't visit at the busiest time period.
In France this season the main school holidays start in the second week of February and continue until the second week of March so you would be better going the first week in February if you decide to go to France. It will be relatively quiet, cheaper and the snow is likely to be good that week as well.

I think La Plagne would suit your current level as it has plenty of easy blue runs and you can travel around for miles without having to venture onto a red.
In particular I think the area at the top of the Champagny gondola would be ideal for you. It has two free beginners lifts, one with a short easy piste and one with a longer very easy piste, ideal for building confidence on your first morning. You can then progress onto the three long blue runs which are fed by the la Rosa chairlift and are great runs for confidence building and improving your technique.
Once you have mastered those you can either head out into the main La Plagne bowl on easyish blues or try a few of the more difficult blues or easier reds in the Champagny ski area.

Last season they had some pistes allocated as 'cool ski' areas for beginners and a cheap pass that gave access to a limited number of lifts in each sector. it cost 28 euros a day.

details (in French) here - http://www.skipass-laplagne.com/Content/Pages/LaPlagne/Cool_ski_VREL.fr-CH.pdf
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I plan to have lessons

If you plan to have lessons then you should be asking about the best ski schools also. That should be a very high property.

I wouldn't get bogged down with how cruisy, etc a resort is. With no major budget restrictions, avoiding schools, no apres needs, etc. you have numerous options. It's more a case of avoiding certain places that your wouldn't get the best out of, Val D'Isere for example. Don't think you could go far wrong staying in La Plagne and taking lessons with Oxygene. The resort would definitely suite and if you search the name on here you will see numerous recs for the ski school
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Em1986, if you don't like busy slopes, you might be better of going to one of the less well-known resorts. Les Saises, for example, is apparently notably quiet. Pam W is the person to ask about Les Saises!

Some resorts have a reputation for crowded runs: I would place Courchevel (and many other places in the 3 Vallees), La Plagne and Whistler in that category.

I can't really comment on types of accommodation. As for convenience for the slopes, it'll vary depending on where to choose to stay. I don't think anywhere in the list above necessarily necessitates a bus journey, except perhaps Cortina.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Saisies would be ideal in terms of terrain but only first week in February, not the last. Private lessons are cheap but group l
lessons all French.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone for your input Happy

That is something I am not keen on after having a few knocks in Bansko, I know there will be others skiing and thats inevitable but I am not sure I want to go somewhere with a reputation for having crowded slopes.... Shocked

Les Saisies - I can see major tour operators dont seem to book for it - any advice who to book through?
First week in Feb is fine for us.

Thanks again!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't rule out Valmorel on accommodation grounds; Try Hotel de Bourg. Also centre is so compact that we literally walk out the front door get supplies from bakers and supermarket for breakfast and plenty of places to eat in the evening. Valmorel has plenty of character and has more of a French Vibe than 3v's, though ski area is not as developed. If there is any particular critique it would be the lack of really demanding "on piste", but this is not a problem for your brief.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks David - would you recommend Valmorel then for first week in Feb?
I think in terms of terrain the less demanding the better Laughing

What are the costs roughly for eating out for two? We dont pig out but would like a proper meal in the evening not just burger and chips etc.. and a few drinks.
I always worry about getting out there and everything costing so much!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I too would recommend Les Saisies. There is a whole big bowl area which I found felt wonderfully 'safe'. Lots of different ways down to suit how you are feeling, most of it is very visible before you have to make your route choice. There is also enough skiing to challenge the more adventurous!

I think most people going to Les Saisies drive and book accommodation on a diy basis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Em1986,

I too would recommend Valmorel, I was there start of March 2014 - It is full of blue runs and you can go a fair distance. It's very quiet ski-wise and very few of the dreaded bottle necks with loads of people.

If cost is not an issue - have a look at the ClubMed - It's fully inclusive including lift passes and lessons and right on the piste. It's where I stayed and we're thinking of going back.

PM me for for further info

Skitrack
ski holidays
Have you looked at Risoul? Lots of greens and blues there. Good sun record if you like skiing in good weather. Some good ski-to-door (no, proper ski to door) accommodation
snow conditions
OoO club med looks nice!
Who did you book through?
ski holidays
Em1986, +1 for Obergurgl, and you might like to consider Madonna di Campiglio too.
latest report
Try Waidring and ski on the Steinplatte you could stay in Kirchdorf the ski school is very good and the ski bus runs to St Johann and the Steinplatte also you can get to Feiberbrun and Kitzbuhl is possible
snow conditions
Morzine or Les Gets, and lessons with The Snow Institute or BASS.
latest report
Em1986 - I think Les Saisies would be hard to beat for the ski terrain you are looking for and it is a beautiful resort.

I'd also recommend Montgenevre (Apeak ski school) and Les Carroz (ESF very good there)
snow report
Em1986, when we went Club Med we just booked through their website. Lessons we had at LDA from Club Med were v good. You can book everything through CM, including boot and ski hire but be warned - boot and ski hire v expensive with CM.
ski holidays
Em1986,
Direct with ClubMed - They offer discounts and unless you are a member of the Ski Club of GB or other organisation which offers a 5% discount or whatever, I've never seen their own deals bettered.

It's lovely by the way - one of the best I've been to ( and I've been to several!)

Ref Dobby Comment on price of boots/skis - partly you are paying for convenience. As this CM is above the main resort - it's a bit of a walk/bus ride to get your stuff back from another supplier.
snow report
skitrack, good info. Where I was in LDA there was another hire shop next door. Hire kit from CM was good though. Take trousers with elasticated waists - you'll eat and drink a lot (or is that just me?)
snow conditions
dobby,

Yup I definitely rate the food at CM. The food in the Valmorel CM is a step above that at LDA! Yummy Very Happy

I have to try and be quite strict with myself - I still normally end up putting on a couple of Kg Embarassed
ski holidays
Courchevel Morion (1650). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/france/8245579/Best-French-ski-resorts.html

Good for beginners and intermediates.
snow report
Quote:

Les Saisies - I can see major tour operators dont seem to book for it - any advice who to book through?

Erna Low or Peak Retreats. They feature quite high-spec accommodation though; there is lots cheaper if you book DIY. Let me know if you want specific information but if you want a package including flights and transfers you'll need to forget Les Saisies. Indeed, one of the reasons it is as nice as it is, and very uncrowded outside the French school holidays, is precisely because there aren't any British package tourists. wink
ski holidays
Thanks for all of your posts!!

Haha my first week skiing, everyone was saying 'You will lose weight'.. erm.. I gained 7 pounds Shocked Shocked Shocked

We went half board to a lovely hotel and ate waaayyyy too much so club med will probably not be kind to my waist line haha!!

I may have to invest in some elasticated waisted trousers, mine got tighter and tighter!! Shocked

Thanks for all the info on Club med and Valmorel... I am certainly going to look into it.. other half is still fixed on Ellmau in Austria.. any info that may swing it? snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Em1986, given what you have said in the "Vertigo" thread, perhaps a resort where there are lots of easy runs accessed by drag (rather than chair) lifts would be suitable for you at this stage, so you can keep your skis on the ground whilst you're still getting to grips with skiing…?
ski holidays
Em1986, I bow down to your, erm, superior eating ability! CM is great from the food point of view - death by raclette.
latest report
Quote:

CM is great from the food point of view - death by raclette.

One thing which might persuade me to think about a Club Med is the possibility of some decent French food without any racletter or fondue. wink But even if I didn't have my own place I'd always go for renting an apartment or chalet with no catering if I had a choice as I really dislike being presented with loads of food in a big and crowded restaurant. If money was no object I would go out to a restaurant for dinner several time during a week, provided that they had something other than those bloody "Savoyard specialties" on the menu.

Putting on 7 lbs in a week's ski holiday is quite something - I tend to eat rather more than usual, and certainly drink more than usual, but generally my weight remains much the same because of all the skiing!

Drag lifts - as suggested by Miranda - are not a bad idea and until recently you could get quite a long way round Les Saisies, even on some red and black runs, using drags. However they are being steadily replaced by chairs - not always an improvement, in my view. The area you could cover without using chairlifts is now quite limited.
snow conditions
Just go to Andorra twice, good lessons, easy to learn and gain confidence, good prices, plenty of runs. Ticks a lot of boxes in a relaxed kind of way.
snow report
Em1986, I'm a fan of Valandry. It's part of the Les Arcs ski area and one of my first trips. It has some lovely soft blues and a winding green that will get you home from pretty much anywhere on the hill. At the same time it easily connects to Les Arcs where there are a range of blues to progress on to reds. Nightlife is a bit limited but more then enough to have fun for a week or two but Nowt hardcore.

I think I'd describe the place as 'gently French' . . . no attitude Toofy Grin
snow report
HI there
Every year I look for the same option - my criteria is long wide cruisy blues. We have been skiing about 7 years now but I still lack the confidence and seem to redophobic! I have been to Les Saisies, Valmorel, Ellmau and La Tania and can recommend all but Ellmau for your requirements. I found that Ellmau was very limited in terms of getting round on blues and I found that they could be very tricky in places and if you are not confident then I wouldnt even consider it. I also found the bus from the apartment to the funicalr a pain in the backside and also the funicular was a pain queueing, it just seemed such a long laboroious process having being spoiled with Les Saisies and Valmorel skiing from the door. Valmorel is definitley on my places to visit again and We have been to Les Saisies twice and I would say that if its nice easy wide blues then Les Saisies problaby just has the edge on Valmorel. However there are loads of wide easy greens and blues in Valmorel (particulary on the Francois de Longchamp side). The skiing in Courchevel is also really nice and suited for nervous people. I am sure there will be people who disagree with my opinion of Ellmau (as there were when I reported on it when I came home) but everyone is different, I think you have to listen to the opinion of other nervous skiers and not by intermediate/advanced skiers saying something is easy as their opinions will be far apart. Anyway best of luck. I am sure you will have a great time no matter where you go.
snow conditions
Em1986, you need reasons to go to Ellmau. If food is your thing then mountain food in Austria is very good. There are lots of nice places to eat in the Skiwelt. Kaiserschmarrn, Grostl, Strudel, Germknoddel etc.... Mmmmmmmmm

But then I quite like all that melted cheese that pam w, can't stand Laughing
snow conditions
hammerite, I'm happy to have the occasional meal of melted cheese. I made a very good tartiflette when I was in the Alps a couple of weeks ago with an excellent Reblechon "fermier". Two of us ate quite a lot, drank a lot of white wine and made pigs of ourselves. I shall probably make another when next out there, in September. And that will be quite soon enough wink
latest report
Em1986, Another vote for Cervinia. After my first trip there in April, I came away feeling that it was a pretty 'easy' resort slopewise. For more of a challenge, I found Zermatt (just across the border) more rewarding - you can access the other side of the Matterhorn in Switzerland fairly easily if you felt that you are progressing enough and wanting to 'upsize' your comfort zone a little.
snow report
Another vote for Madonna di Campiglio: some very benign pistes, good food, pretty town, not too busy (generally), not too much traipsing about.

La Plagne also mentioned above - have a look at Belle Plagne, perhaps. Easy to get about the village (its not overly big), plenty of ski to or close to accommodation options on blue runs, snow-sure, you can access a reasonable area from the bubble lift (assuming the you're ok on these).
latest report
hi,
We can also recommend Les 2 Alpes. There are really nice wide blue runs all the way down from the glacier. So you wouldn't have to stay down on the nursery slopes, you could go up to 3600m and enjoy a nice ski down!
The best skischool in town which works with all the english touroperators is European ski school: www.europeanskischool.eu

Hope to see you out there!
latest report
tiptopski wrote:
hi,
We can also recommend Les 2 Alpes. There are really nice wide blue runs all the way down from the glacier. So you wouldn't have to stay down on the nursery slopes, you could go up to 3600m and enjoy a nice ski down!
The best skischool in town which works with all the english touroperators is European ski school: www.europeanskischool.eu

However, imv the best English ski instructor in town who works independently is Charlotte Swift http://www.easiski.com/ wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy