Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working a Ski Season in Banff (possibly Whistler)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

I'm planning to do a ski season in Canada next year, and am pretty set on Banff, though am also looking at Whistler. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could help me with. FYI, I am a 27 year old guy from England.

1. Accommodation. If in Banff I'd love to work on one of the mountains, however, I imagine this would be pretty much a non-stop party? Not that I'm terrible anti-social, but I'm not really a party person (don't even drink), and I prefer to have my own space (and quiet) to return to. What sort of advice would you give about living in Banff itself, renting a room or something? Is it easier to find accommodation in Whistler?

2. Money. I was wondering if a ski season will kind of pay for itself (withholding flights), or whether you can make a tiny bit a travel afterwards? I don't drink, and I'm fine with making my own food, but I suppose those costs might even out if I pay more for accommodation.

3. Summer. Since the VISAS last a year, its conceivable that I might stay for part of the summer season. Apparently there's actually more tourism at this time, does this mean that jobs are also still available, or would it be more sensible to move to another part of Canada for this period?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I imagine Banff would have plenty of jobs in the summer; it may also be fun to work at the Stampede in Calgary
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
otherjr, Welcome.

1) Accommodation in any ski resort is always at a premium. Owners and investors would rather rent out at mega-bucks to tourists than provide affordable accommodation to low-paid seasonal workers. This often results in employers needing to build or rent their own accommodation for their staff, or in communities designating certain properties or zones as 'staff accommodation'. For example, in Whistler there is fairly good provision of staff housing for directly-employed mountain employees, but others have to find a house or condo to share. You'll be hard pushed to find reasonably-priced accommodation if you are not willing to share, although you may be able to find a room for yourself in a shared house. Others will be along soon to tell you specifically about Banff.

2) Depends on what you're doing and what you're spending. Canadian wages are OK, but your money can easily disappear on accommodation, food and entertainment. Presumably you're not going to fly all the way to Canada just to sit in your room every evening. If you can get a job on the mountain, you'll likely get a free staff lift pass for the season and possibly discounts on food. Beware - many resort jobs are similar to UK 'zero-hours' contracts; if there is no snow, or few guests, then you might not be required to work for a few days and therefore you might not get paid.

3) Your Working Holiday Visa is valid for a year. You get the Visa in the UK before you travel, and you don't need a job (or job offer) before travelling, although BUNAC can help you to find a job. The Visa allows you to work for any (and multiple) employers during your stay, so if you have the time, definitely consider adding some spring and summer months to your visit. You'll need to buy a flexible return ticket that allows you to change your return date. BUT - the number of Visas is limited (there are none available for 2014) and are taken up very quickly when released. See http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx and BUNAC http://bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-canada/visa
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're doing a season in Banff, investigate living in Canmore. It's outside the national park and costs a fraction of living in Banff itself, but you can get into the centre easily - Someone I knew did that and was paying less than C$25pw for a share in a massive 5 bed house (although that was a few years ago now).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your advice Smile I'd love to be able to rent a room in a house or something, just not sure I could stand having to share a room! The room shares at Lake Louise look nice, but I'm worried they would be to noisy. Just part of not being 19 anymore I suppose! Anyone stayed in the staff accommodation at LL or Sunshine?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello otherjr,

I have never worked in Canada but we have been to Banff every year for the past 12 years for at least a fortnight often more and understand a bit about the local housing market. It is not possible to buy or rent accommodation in Banff unless you work or own a business in the National Park. There are a lot of seasonal workers and there is a real accommodation shortage, impacting on availability and prices. Canmore is outside the national park and does not have the same restrictions - it is a bigger town and has a broader spectrum of people, amenities etc, but although a tourist town, Banff is still a proper town with schools etc. It has a very active permanent community, but there is definitely a seasonal 'party town' element.

LL and SS Village are different again. SS is about 20 mins from Banff but there is nothing else there. Just the ski resort and a much smaller pool of seasonal workers. I can imagine it is very insular and perhaps isolated. LL has a bit more going on, but is 40 mins from Banff and not much else around. There are a few other hotels as well as the ski resort so the population will be slightly broader based than in SS Village but much less sense of 'normal' life than either Banff or Canmore.

No doubt someone else who has experience of working there will be along soon....Hope this info is of some help.

Good luck and enjoy - it's a great part of the world.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had similar question before I moved to Whistler in October. I dismissed Banff as the ski hills are a significant commute from Banff village. Everything is much closer in Whistler, we get more snow and it doesn't get as crazy cold.

Here's a short write up I have put together on the common questions people have:
http://beingawhistlerskibum.blogspot.ca/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy