Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slacklines for novices!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
REI have free standing slacklines at the usual cheap American, prices, if you happen to be in the vicinity chasing snow for example...

http://www.rei.com/c/slacklines
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just come across this, which looks incredibly good value for money: http://www.damarwebbingproducts.com/slack-line~48
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Just to quickly say, thank you so much for the advice kieranm - here's our first guinea pig testing it out yesterday!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking good miranda!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
miranda, that looks great Very Happy

I have been very slow to get organised with this but have now ordered one, there is currently an Elephant slacklines sale on at SportPursuit
linky here as everyone else does it Toofy Grin

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/sarah_95e0e2
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's arrived! But I can't set it up, got it on at one end but think the other tree is too fat and I can't get the sling round. Hopefully the hubby will be able to do something with it when he gets back. Very frustrating I am itching to get on it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is impossible!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah wrote:
It is impossible!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

No. It's definitely possible
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK.......

so how do you know how much tension to put on the line?

how do get off without it twanging and slapping your calf - ouch! ?

any tips for a total and complete novice please??

It is harder than I thought.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always try to tension the line as much as I'm able. With your body weight on it, it's going to sag. So long as it stays at least just off the ground you're ok.

You'll need support to start with - whether that is hugging a tree, or a hand from a buddy.

Just stick with it. Soon you'll be able to balance for a couple of seconds, then 10 seconds, then a minute. Keep coming back to it, with plenty of rest periods. Your body and central nervous system need time to learn these new skills.

Most of all, have fun!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mr brain cheat, thanks! Can manage with a buddy and with ski poles but totally unsupported is very difficult Shocked

Pretty sure got the tension right now. Do you think it's ok to leave the line up, tensioned all the time or should it be loosened? Don't want to take it down as planning to get on it daily/ few times a day, little and often.

Just glad the hubby saw sense and rigged it up between two closer trees, as least it's not moving as much as it would at full length!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, I'll be interested to read about your progress - the lad in miranda's picture looks very good; I'm sure I'd not be able to do it at all to start with.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, I thought he looked good too! Don't hold your breath for progress from me, it's much harder than I thought. The line I got is 35mm and I think I should have got 50mm but I thought I needed a longer length for the two trees I had in mind. The 50mm line was only available in a shorter length. As it's turned out the hubby identified a different tree so now I have it rigged up as a shorter line anyway which I think is better to start with as it's not moving as much as a longer one might.

It's hard to get on as it's a bit high so I'm using a step to get up to it. I can walk it supported but can barely stand on it unsupported. Been doing it barefoot so far. Have managed to sustain a nice couple of calf bruises where it has twanged me as I have fallen off!

Will keep trying Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah wrote:

Pretty sure got the tension right now. Do you think it's ok to leave the line up, tensioned all the time or should it be loosened? Don't want to take it down as planning to get on it daily/ few times a day, little and often.

Sounds great. I would do that if I could! It doesn't need to be left under tension, just ratchet it up as required.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy