Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley goggle lenses decisons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

this is my first post in these forums! I have decided to buy a pair of airbrakes but i cant decided what lenses to get. I was thinking Fire iridium vs Black iridium for the sunny lense and still very undecided on the second lense, possibly HI Yellow or some form of a persimmon. Was also looking at vr50 pink iridium.

Feedback, thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated!!

-Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Chris, and welcome snowHead

Something to consider - how well do your eyes cope in sunny conditions? If you have sensitive eyes (blue, usually) then get the lens with the lowest light penetration (emerald iridium I think, but fire is pretty dark too). If the sunlight is less of a problem for you, then you have more options.

I have emerald iridium / persimmon combo and Mr S has fire iridium / persimmon. We both use the bright light lenses up to the point where there is complete cloud cover, then switch. I've heard that persimmon is possibly not the best flat light lens, but on the upside it it a cheap one to replace if you split it, like I did rolling eyes Again, consider how sensitive your eyes are - the hi yellow lets more light through than the persimmon, which is ok to wear on brighter, but cloudy days.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Scarlet ,

My eyes can within sunny conditions, i think ill probably go with persimmon (just the normal one?) and will research further into emerald iridium. Any suggestions on other good lenses?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hedges099, I only have experience of the ones mentioned, but there are plenty of other threads on this if you search for "Oakley" in the forum. Also, the Oakley website has details of all the lenses so you can compare the light transmission and suitability - just make sure you are looking at goggle lenses and not sunglasses, as the specifications are different I think.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet, no worries, thanks for all your help Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the fire's for bright and persimmon for low vis (had those as my only lenses for two years). The Hi Yellow gets good write ups, but I recently bought a pair of clear lenses for night skiing and have also found that they work well in heavy cloud. They still have the UV protection.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have 3 different Oakley lenses which I switch between 2 pairs of googles. The Oakleys are the best lenses I've ever used for clarity and the combo works well for all conditions. I spend a lot of time on the slopes and this combo works for me but appreciate most people are only looking at two options to cover all conditions. It's a tricky one, but here are my thoughts on the lenses I decided to opt for.

I have the HI Yellow for flat light which gives really good definition but I can only use it in really flat light otherwise I start to squint and my eyes are not particularly sensitive. Even if it is foggy or very cloudy and flat but bright at the same time (if that makes sense?) I find they let a little too much light in but are perfect for those real pea soup days.

I love the VR50 Pink Iridium and it is my go-to general wear lens for all conditions. Great in poor visibility (but not as good as the HI Yellow obviously), great for cloud and sunny days. The only conditions I find I need the Blue Iridium lens is on seriously sunny days later in the season or if it is a bright sunny day on a glacier when the rays seem really intense. Then I find the VR50 lets in a little too much light but never enough to cause any real problems. I haven't used the blue iridiums in cloudy conditions so I have no idea whether they would be a bit dark?

Like some of the other posters say, take a look at the Oakley site for the lens options as it gives you a brief description of the lenses and a visual indication of the colour of the lens and how much light comes through it. There have been a few posts on the topic too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
juliad, great points. Think ill go with the VR50 Pink Iridium, Persimmon and the Fire Iridium

Thanks for the help

Other comments appricated!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have Fire Iridium for super sunny blue bird, VR50 for mid light and HI Yellow for white out. Love them all.

+1 to all that juliad wrote about HI Yellow.

Fire Iridium have amazing contrast and protect the delicate eyes from bright rays, but are totally fine if you drop into shadow or something for a bit. They also look amazing.

The VR50 were just the second option that came with my airbrakes and to start with I wasn't totally on board with them but have been won over - great in changable conditions and are pretty good in low light up to sunshine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OakleyView is a handy APP (on itunes, not sure about android) to check various lenses

check out lense tints here as well ---- http://uk.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use fire iridium in my A frames for sunny days and a persimmon lens for poor light but I'm changing to hi yellow as I found the persimmon pretty poor.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've tried virtually all the Oakley lenses & IMO the Fire iridium + hi yellow is an unbeatable combo. Anything darker than the fire's are too dark if you suddenly hit shaded areas. And the hi yellow's are like someone's just turned the lights & with their superb UV blocking they can be worn is surprisingly bright light, even with my very sensitive eyes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Similar setup myself, Got the Canopys with the Hi Yellow, and they really are the business. I went for the Emerald Iridium lens over the Fire - I didn't get much difference between them visually, but the Emeralds edged it for me personally with the tint they give.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the hi yellow's are like someone's just turned the lights & with their superb UV blocking they can be worn is surprisingly bright light, even with my very sensitive eyes.

+1. (The hi yellow is my only goggle lens, as I wear sunglasses in full sunlight.)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blue Iridium and Hi-Persimmon were the best for me until I tried the Uvex Downhill 2000 Vario - no more lens swapping, I found them to be excellent in all light conditions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy