Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Workbench / Ski Servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've never got around to buying 'proper' vices for serving ski's, relying on my trusty Black and Decker. It's not perfect so as an excuse to learn some CAD skills I designed a 'plug' to fit the work bench holes. So far it seems to work really well.

I can run these for people but the price of 3d printing them is reasonably steep (about £15 per pair). That said if there was enough interest I'd look at having a few injection moulded which should reduce the cost.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice idea fella Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AndAnotherThing.., good luck, got some free with my work mate.
If you can invent a Dremel attachment for sharpening skis I'm in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob, ah. The ones I got with mine were too low. I wonder if they did different sizes. When I looked I couldn't find any.

Have a dremel chain saw sharpener. That might work Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndAnotherThing..,mine is not a Black and Decker just a cheap knock off and you may well be right the blocks are small but I haven't tried them.
I think it's clever, but with a production cost of £15 x 2 pair x2 for a margin, it would be more expensive than a vice. I suspect the volume might be too low for mass production. Maybe I can make some from wood!
I think the 3d printing revolution is going to be big.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob, Yep, the price for the 3d printed versions is a bit steep. That's mostly because we run professional kit that uses proprietary materials which pushes up the costs. I'll have a look today to see if they could be done cheaper.

Retail for about £15 for a set of 4 might be about right.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd expect that printing it from generic ABS or whatever should be a lot cheaper (of the order of pennies for the feedstock, at least). There are a bunch of companies out there that will do 3D printing for you... might be pricey for small runs, but for medium sized ones it'll probably be much cheaper than moulding. I've used Shapeways and Ponoko in the past, both have been fine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
AndAnotherThing.., good luck, got some free with my work mate.
If you can invent a Dremel attachment for sharpening skis I'm in.

try the 'edge tune' works a treat, quite a few being used in the SW since i brought one in from USA ideal fro races as totally portable no genny required Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would it be cheaper to bolt something on to this?

They retail at £3.58
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mosha Marc, thread stopper...

It tickles me that back in 1995 i was getting 3D SLA's about, lets say 100 times more complex than the '3D ALCHEMY' block as show above. Not only SLA's but LOM's and Fusion Sintering and extrusion was also roughly around then to. 3D printing has been around for yonks...just saying folks it ain't nothin' new at all - it's just the machines have become simplified and thus are available at price points for design and make studio's to have their own basic machine.

It's cool and very handy to knock up a rough prototype gizmo overnight Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or use a bit of wood/MDF - cost less than a fiver Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@geoffers, Nice. What's the pad arrangement on the end to support the tip ?

@Tim Heeney, It's amazing how SLA has fallen in price.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AndAnotherThing.., It's a slightly radiussed, adjustable/removable bit of MDF to clamp the tip so the ski doesn't move when scraping/waxing.
Also a removable bracket in the middle to stop flexing whilst scraping.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@geoffers, snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy