Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres - variation on the theme

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
yawn...this one's a bit different though

Need to replace a couple of tyres on the rear axle for an impending MOT. Now given the time of year it seems I can get a pair of winter rated tyres for minimally more than summers at an apparent similar Eco/Braking rating of the summers I'd be going for (C/C).

I've read the tyremen stuff on how the Euro rating works and am aware that the compound may not be designed for warmer temps but thoughts?

Don't really need winters as no immediate plans for driving extensively winter in alps/Norf of UK but if there's no real penalty?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winter tyres can't take the heat - they are not built to withsand high temperatures and may not even make the end of summer - I've seen 50 % tyre wear in 2 days of very hot driving (35C) on snow tyres - less than 2000km!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
my conti winter sports stay on all year round
not a problem, but then I have them all round not a F/R mix
factionally more road noise

edit: and most "winter" tyres are actually "all season M+S"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah these are M+S with the flake symbol - looks like a Canadian brand

Should add its FWD would swap the "winters" on to front around November if i got them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
can you mix winter and summer tyres?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I do tend to prefer having the same amount of grip/tread pattern/rubber compound on the front and rear of my car. Tends to stop the rear overtaking me Toofy Grin
As I am running mine all year round I went for the higher speed rating, the sidewalls are a little stiffer. They have done 3 years and 2 full seasons in the mountains and still have plenty of life left, and that's on an all wheel drive Subaru.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All the advice I've seen says not to mix winter and summer tyres. One will give you good grip when the other doesn't, so you'll risk spinning off the road on bends or under braking.

That's also why it isn't generally recommended to mix brands front and rear, or to allow the rear to be very worn when the fronts are new.

If you only need two tyres, buy two which match the current set.

The winter tyre performance degrades above 7C, and significantly as the temperature rises. Depending on the compound, in the middle of summer at 25C they'll be like F1 tyres - soft, tacky to the touch, and good for about 20 laps... Most modern tyres are better than that, but the best winter tyre at 25C can perform worse than a £40 budget tyre.

I have a separate winter set for each of our cars, which live in the garage for 7 months of the year. We drive to Austria each year, and I get some benefit from them over most of the winter. When it snows, my 110 mile daily commute with 40 miles of untreated minor roads is much easier than without them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mine were put on for the s5BB in Campitello (that was quite a few years ago), and haven't been changed. 60,000km I reckon, all year use, driving to work, autobahn, several trips to Scotland, Slovenia, Dolomites, etc. from -21C to +37C.
They'll probably need to be changed to pass the test in August, at which point they'll be sent to UK as "part worns" by my dodgy Kiwi garage, since the minimum legal tread limit here is higher.

I wouldn't mix, personally.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When it's sunny and warm my motorbike has way more grip. Then again, at £130 a pop a rear tyre only lasts 4,500 miles Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buy the tyres you need for now. If you subsequently need winter tyres get them later. In the long run it has no cost implications except changing the wheels over. Wearing eight tyres out, costs twice as much as four tyres but takes twice as long.
There are good all year tyres now.
Don't mix, crashing your car is expensive, especially if the the insurance company refuse your claim because of the tyres, it's the first thing they look at!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep pretty much had decided against mixing. Will obviously have different wear front to rear but I don't know many people who replace all 4 corners when one goes.

As an aside I've driven a Canadian winter with just snows on the front of my beater and got on fine - got a bit worried about burning them out when we got down to Utah desert on the subsequent road trip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes, My Nokians are actually an all season tyre, but legal as a winter. I find these to be an ideal compromise; if conditions are ever really terrible it is often safer to postpone the journey as you also have to worry about other people hitting you, especially then they come down steep sections too fast in snow and slush.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I ran Goodyear Ultragrip 7 year round. No real problem in summer. Little more road noise, wear and fuel consumption. Eventually found 2nd set of alloys and now change wheels over Nov and Apr.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have had goodyear ultra grips on all year and they are fine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy