Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sixt fer a Cheval - thoughts on mountain restaurant

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All
I am looking at buying a mountain restaurant on the slopes of Sixt.

I just wondred if anyone could give their thoughts on the location, how busy the resort is during winter, your experiences of mountain food in Sixt.
Also, considering the altitude what have the last few years been like for snow??

Many thanks,

Rocky
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First problem, only open 3 months of the year - Look at th elift schedule, might 3.5 months but they close realy early even if there is snow - if it's within spitting distance of the bottom of the cascades run might be different - but you'll only add 2 weeks

There is a place at the top of the Chair in Sixt, lovely resturant - is it that one?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nippy, Cascades only really opened at the end of jan this year, so it is a very short season. I did it at new year after off piste down gers, and the sixt ski area was very stoney and dead

I guess from skier52 comments here its the one that is for sale??

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102414&start=200
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are referring to "Le Tremplin", it is in a lovely sunny spot. As indicated above, snow cover can be a bit of a lottery. Egs. a few years ago snow at bottom of Cascades (800m elev.) was poor and temps high all season so Sixt was effectively cut-off (apart from the 15minute ski bus from Samoens). In contrast, 2 of last 3 years snow was very good to Sixt all season (officially end Dec to mid March, although Sixt lifts can be kept open if March snow is good). To make a success of Tremplin, aswell as attracting local clientele, you would need to market yourself at the other "linked" GM resorts to attract groups for Brunch/Lunch. It is a pity but Tremplin has not been well used during all the visits I have made there over the last 5 seasons, but it would be nice if someone could make it viable as it makes a nice stop in the 3 to 4 hour round trip from Les Carroz. I would not imagine that there will be much competition to buy Tremplin (there is a derelict restaurant a few 100m below it that has been unused for years) but good luck. Keep us all informed. The chairlift arriving at Tremplin is also open in the summer for a few weeks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No advice but watch out for the local gang scene

http://youtube.com/v/7H7OoKI5-yg&featuscene
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a relatively quiet ski area, but there is a lot of summer walking iirc. I snowshoed there when I cleverly broke my shoulder in Samoens... Beautiful place, and we had some -amazing- food (diots!) in the restaurant by the kiddy slope. But yes, depending on location, you may get a decent amount of summer trade from hiking types as well as the ski stuff.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys.
Your comments echo my concerns.

Not sure of the name of the restaurant but will let you know next week after a viewing.

If anyone knows of other mountain restaurants for sale in the French or Swiss alps , whatever the size, let me know! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do people really ski cascades and then decide to get themselves up to the chair at Sixt? seems unlikely given it takes longer to get up both chairs than it does to ski down.
Sixt does well from beginners (but not Tremplin side) and during the peak periods where locals use it instead of enduring the queues at Samoens.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some do, I would only do it again if Tremplin reopened and it was a sunny day or if Sixt snow was very good. To get to Tremplin from the bottom of Cascades you need to get button lift, walk across a road, another button lift, ski down to the Vagny chairlft for a slow ride directly to Le Tremplin, so admittedly a little time-consuming.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skier52, It's a nice ski down and some great views but, blimey that is more effort than I realised.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nippy, i believe that the restaurant/hotel at the base of the antique Vercland lift was for sale. I suspect its viability is linked to what's planned for that lift.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nippy wrote:
Thanks guys.
Your comments echo my concerns.

Not sure of the name of the restaurant but will let you know next week after a viewing.

If anyone knows of other mountain restaurants for sale in the French or Swiss alps , whatever the size, let me know! Very Happy

You'll find a few listed here - http://france.businessesforsale.com/french/search/Restaurants-for-sale-in-Savoie
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, That was sold a couple of years ago and reopened last season. Very nice it is too. It looks a good bet to become a chair soon. The debate seems to be whether the base stays where it is or extends down to L'Etteley. This may have been resolved by now for all I know.

On a slightly different note I think the Chariande restaurant at Samoens 1600 is for sale. It is 3/4 of the way down Marmotte to the base. I am sure it would cost more than the Tremplin but a looks a much better business proposition.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ian999, Well spotted, I had forgotten, For Sale sign has been up on it for most of last winter season (I assume it refers to the whole building and not just part of accommodation). It is in a great sunny spot right on a red piste (that should really be a blue) and right next to one of the large Carparks at Samoens 1600. It is a bit dated but gets a good level of custom and surely potential for improvements and increased trade.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ian999, really? Interesting. Must check out. Vercland usually one of our sneaky ways in.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy