Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short trip by train from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
In the middle of January I will be helping organise an international meeting in Geneva. It has been suggested that the weekend before or after would be an ideal opportunity for a cheeky couple of days skiing.

Ideally we want somewhere we can get by train in a reasonable time. No real idea of the skiing ability in the group but there will probably be some non-skiers, so somewhere with stuff to do in the town would be ideal. Probably about ten or twelve people in all.

I have been to Zermatt before and that would be a possibility but there must be others. Any Swiss experts out there?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bogusman, does it have to be a train? There are lots of buses from Geneva to a selection of ski resorts, including, perhaps most obviously, Chamonix.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, Yes I know but for the moment there is a strong consensus in favour of Swiss railways.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bogusman, off the top of my head your are looking at nearly a 3 hour train to Verbier which I suspect is nearest vs a 1hr and a bit bus from Geneva centre to Chamonix
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, I know - really I know. But various members of the group have a strong preference for rail travel so I want to exhaust those possibilities before I go back and suggest an alternative. A longer transfer time isn't necessarily a big problem - within reason. My own preference for several reasons, some of them even rational ones, would be Val d"Isere but I am not pushing that until and unless the rail option has been completely ruled out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Villars or Verbier would be possible if you are happy with a 2-3hr transfer and don't mind changing trains
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Junfraujoch area. Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren are all train accessed resorts. You'd have to change at interlaken at least, I'm not sure if you can get direct to interlaken from geneva.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feef,

You would probably have to change at Bern, and I think you can go direct from Bern to Wengen.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef, change at Bern for Interlaken.

www.sbb.ch/en is the rail site.

This map may also be useful http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-70/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about Les Diablerets -
By train : Take the train direction Lausanne to Aigle, exit at Aigle. From there, take the train, called ASD, to Les Diablerets. It takes about two hours from Geneva.

found that on : http://www.thealps.com/resorts/switzerland/les-diablerets.aspx?tab=how-to-get-there
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pamski, I knew that throwing the question to the wisdom of the snowHead snowHead was the right thing to do. I had never heard of Les Diablerets but a quick look on the Web suggests that it might be a very good solution. Thanks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jungfrau region approximately 4 hours from Geneva, Les Diablerets much closer by train
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bogusman, Les Diabs yes, probably closest to GVA, 2h20-2h30 ish. Very doable for a weekend, as long as arrival flight gets in early enough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leysin is even nearer and Champéry offers a large area:

http://openpistemap.org/?lat=46.287&lon=6.955&zoom=11&layers=BTTTT
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bogusman, I haven't been there but some non-skiing friends of ours went to stay with some of their friends who have a chalet there, and then came on to us, and we picked them up at Geneva airport after their train journey back from Les Diablerets which they had really enjoyed.
snow report
Verbier is a non starter, first train will get you to La Chalbe around mid day! If it was me I would get a car and head into France where you have a big choice within 1.5hrs.
snow report
Les Diablerets, Villars or Leysin would certainly fit your criteria. Personally I'd go for Villars which has a good mix of runs and food and easy access.
latest report
altis, Leysin's tiny. Champery is a cable car from the skiing and 2:28 to get there.
ski holidays
Or 50-60 min transfer to Les Gets or Morzine by bus/car... From Morzine you can get to the Swiss side easily
ski holidays
Thanks for the suggestions all. It looks like the cunning plan will work out fine. According to SBB Les Diablerets should be around 2.20 from Geneva airport which is absolutely fine. There seem to be a few reasonable looking hotels there too. Does anyone have any advice on choosing one? Otherwise it will be a case of which one has the best looking web site Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Otherwise it will be a case of which one has the best looking web site

it might be a case of which one will do a weekend booking.
snow conditions
pam w, True enough, but I am guessing that mid January should be a fairly quiet time for them.
ski holidays
Bogusman, hotels

For instance.
snow report
jbob wrote:
Verbier is a non starter, first train will get you to La Chalbe around mid day! If it was me I would get a car and head into France where you have a big choice within 1.5hrs.

The train from Geneva to Le Chable is about 2 hours and very picturesque, with one change at Martigny, and run from very early (at least they do this time of the year and I don't see why the winter will be any different). There is certainly better skiing to be had at Verbier than Les Diablerets, and nightlife is infinitely better (admittedly having never stayed at LD overnight I'm guessing but it seems fairly quiet).

LD is in a lovely location though, and has very dramatic views from the village. Either way I'm sure you'll have a great time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy