Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Careers advice for young skiers!

Poster: A snowHead
I work in software, and that isn't a bad area but we do find that Jan - Mar is the busiest time of year as people don't like to commit their budget too early in the FY.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
driz wrote:
- Geneva or Lyon: speak (very very) basic French, seem to be jobs in my field but few advertised in English

Maybe add Grenoble to your list for France.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig wrote:

Personally there's no way I'd use offshore developers irrespective of where they're based.

Obviously you're not at the top of the food chain if you can still see the truth in that statement Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Join the Army. Even average Regimental ski teams will spend about 8 weeks sking, the best teams often disappear to the slopes for the entire season. Skiing is advantageous in career terms seeing as most of the hierarchy feel obliged (wonder why?) to visit their troops in Courcheval, Les Contamines, Meribel etc, often with wives in tow wink

I know of very few occupations that regard skiing as part of the job, which it is in the Army.....and no we don't live in snow holes and make tea from nettles, it's all rather comfortable, you get paid (incl additional allowances for being overseas) and don't even need to buy your racing gear.......

Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ,
I never have any trouble getting time off to ski, but I always book leave many months in advance. I broke their system the other year by wanting to book holiday more than 12 months in advance.

We are busiest in late summer / autumn getting ready for the Christmas rush. Most of the bigger operations have a moratorium in October. By the time Christmas arrives any software has bedded down OK and now belongs to customer services. I find I struggle far more to get holiday in the summer, but doesn't bother me in the slightest.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you carn't get a career near the Alps or North America, or if it becomes more difficult to work in the EU, because we have left it, then consider a career in Scotland and skiing weekends and days off.

If Scotland leaves the UK and it becomes difficult to work there as a non dom, then consider a job in northern England. The Lake District has had quite reliable weekend skiing over long seasons during the last 5 years or so and the other clubs also offer some of the cheapest lift served runs available anywhere, as long as you buy a season pass snowHead

If northern England leaves the UK to join Scotland and Europe..... ....then try water skiing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meh wrote:
philwig, I'm pretty sure spending lots of money going on lots of ski holidays is by far the more obvious approach than relocation! NehNeh

Yeh but there are far more creative options than the straight holiday e.g. any job in continental western Europe gives you a chance of driving out to the mountains at short notice when conditions are good (even better if you get a fuelcard with your job). Or if you fly around a lot for work - just as easy to fly into GVA or ZRH at the end of the week having stashed your kit at a friendly hotel in a resort.

The real barrier for most is spouses who aren't committed to the same degree and kids in school/full activity diary.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells, 12 people in my team so can't have more than one off at any time. We already have a supplement of 2 or 3 freelancers. Some departments are smaller, so not quite as much competition for time off for them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do now book my leave well in advance but haven't been able to book next seasons easter week as they haven't added my next years leave quota onto the system.

It sounds like your software is used in retail? Ours is predominately internal business applications (or cross company but linked up intranets).

Actually we are trying but struggling to recruit at the moment. If anybody knows an ASP .NET / SQL Server developer who wants to work in Amesbury, Wiltshire let me know and I will PM the link to the job.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
(thinks) Maybe the next time I'm recruiting I should look here. We are snow sports friendly, no kidding. I just took on 4 people, so there's nothing right now, but anyone working in software around Cambridge.... feel free to drop me a PM with your email.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, 31 days is 6 weeks plus 1 day though, or am I missing something, do you work 7 day weeks?

I wish I had been a skier when I chose what to study. I almost studied physiotherapy which must surely be a good job for a ski town and if I was going to stick with Science I should have tried to get into avalanche research, which must have great field trips
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf, glaciology seems to offer some pretty rad ski field trips too; check out Klar's trip reports and photos on TGR (I believe she's doing a Phd in the subject).

I was originally planning to go into 'mountain risk engineering' (avalanche and flood defence structures, mainly) via the BOKU University in Vienna, but they changed the pre-requisites to study the Masters the year I would have been able to apply, meaning my BSc Geography wasn't good enough anymore. I'm not convinced that that would be all that ski-time friendly though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lynseyf, 8 days are bank holidays which are fixed, the other 23 days have to be taken as 3 weeks and 8 days. The 8 days can be taken as single days, pairs or even 3s and can be tacked onto a week for a longer holiday, but 4 days together counts as a week. It's all about scheduling work through studio and making it fair for everyone, there just aren't enough weeks in the year for everyone to be able to have 4 weeks off. Depending on workloads we can just about manage to have one person off for a week and one other person with an odd day off, but it would be a huge strain on the rest of the studio if two people had the same week off, we already work long hours (but only 5 days usually unless something crazy happens).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
..Yeh but there are far more creative options than the straight holiday ...
The real barrier for most is spouses who aren't committed to the same degree and kids in school/full activity diary.

Indeed. In winter, I always take my snowboard to meetings, mostly in the US, but it's the same deal except with jet lag.

It's surprisingly easy to arrange this, even working for big companies. Most large companies have their travel booked by secretaries. They get "perks" from the preferred travel company. So even if it's your own budget, you're generally forced to spend it through those official channels. You'll find yourself in mediocre hotels whilst your budget takes premium costs.

In two large companies I negotiated that I could manage my own travel budget for me & mine. The result was that I saved them a ton of money.... and stayed in hotels where I needed to be, one of which had its own ski slope, others which hired surf boards.... The secretaries hated me of course.

As far as spouses, I don't have one, but my girlfriend has her sports, I have mine. Beyond "holiday" levels, it's rare to find couples at the same level in many sports.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dogwatch wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:
But if you are freelance, you could move to the mountains and ski every weekend. Or generally organise your time to get more skiing in, e.g. work long days on bad weather days, and not at all on blue sky powder days. Or work chalet style hours and ski in the middle of the day. Obviously you'd still have to balance getting the work done and attending any meetings, but even assuming you work a 50 hour week, that still leaves a lot of skiing time across a week if you are able to pick when you do those hours.

"Freelance" isn't the same as not having to talk to clients at hours of THEIR choosing. Or not having to talk to other developers in office hours. Or never having to go to client offices.

It's windy, I'd like to go windsurfing. Can't because I've two calls to take in the next 3 hours.

Call them from the mountain!

I've done that many times. I even VPN into the server while having lunch from the mountain resturant!

Obviously, you STILL need to get the work done. But if you're lucky enough to work for a boss who's result oriented rather than face time oriented, you're all set! Just get the work done "from home". For all my boss is concern, the home could be a gondola and it doesn't matter!

My only problem is I love writing codes even more than I love skiing! So I just make skiing plans and don't ski more than those days. There're days when the snow looks delicious and I wish to be on the slope...but the wish only last a few seconds before I return to finish what I was working on.

With all the technology available, more and more people are working from where they REALLY want to be, beach or snowy mountains. You just need to find the right boss.

Freelance would work even better, especially if you can find the work without being some place physically to get the work.
ski holidays
Quote:

Maybe the next time I'm recruiting I should look here. We are snow sports friendly, no kidding. I just took on 4 people, so there's nothing right now, but anyone working in software around Cambridge.... feel free to drop me a PM with your email.

Ditto! Except we are recruiting now, so if there are any excellent engineers out there looking for a change in Cambridge I'd be very happy to hear from them.
snow report
abc wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:
But if you are freelance, you could move to the mountains and ski every weekend. Or generally organise your time to get more skiing in, e.g. work long days on bad weather days, and not at all on blue sky powder days. Or work chalet style hours and ski in the middle of the day. Obviously you'd still have to balance getting the work done and attending any meetings, but even assuming you work a 50 hour week, that still leaves a lot of skiing time across a week if you are able to pick when you do those hours.

"Freelance" isn't the same as not having to talk to clients at hours of THEIR choosing. Or not having to talk to other developers in office hours. Or never having to go to client offices.

It's windy, I'd like to go windsurfing. Can't because I've two calls to take in the next 3 hours.

I've done that many times. I even VPN into the server while having lunch from the mountain resturant!

Hmmm. You sound like a client of mine who thought he could take part in a detailed specification review while in the back of a taxi. A disrespectful waste of everybody else's time.

Anybody I ever found VPNing into a server from a restaurant would be fired. Some things require proper concentration.
snow report
I guess it depends on the type of software you work on. I couldn't do my job if I wasn't with my team and my client pretty much every day, but I appreciate it will be different in other industries.

It suits me to work hard the rest of the year, save the pennies, then have a few weeks where I have no commitments and I can enjoy my ski trip without thinking about work.
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
abc wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:

Hmmm. You sound like a client of mine who thought he could take part in a detailed specification review while in the back of a taxi. A disrespectful waste of everybody else's time.

Anybody I ever found VPNing into a server from a restaurant would be fired. Some things require proper concentration.

That is a little harsh! Whether it is acceptable depends on what you are doing and what you are like as an individual. Some people can completely focus on what they are doing and don't even notice people talking to them let alone general noise around them.
snow conditions
I think 2 options:

1) as others have said, relocate to the snow.

2) Work your nuts off till your are 55, the mortgage is paid off the kids have left home and then take up a freelance strategy. Probably get 5 years before Alzheimer's gets you and you can't ski anyway. So 30 years knuckling down followed by 5 years of fun.
ski holidays
emwmarine, exactly, have a less stressfull job that allows you to take days off at short notice and where you can live near the snow and get lots of days or weekends or have a really well paying job which is most likely more stressfull, less chance of leave at short notice and more responsibility but with the money to have some really special trips.
ski holidays
How do gps do for skiing? I know it is a very lengthy process to become qualified but am I right in saying that you can scale back work when you want? So you could work like mad in the summer to work very little in the winter to get lots of skiing?
snow report
JackSkier, I don't think it would work like that unless you were working as a locum. Particularly as people expect continuity of care.
ski holidays
JackSkier, I would have thought that a GP would have to agree hours with their partners in a practice.

I do know someone who is a Consultant Surgeon in Grenoble, he works three days a week and skis the other four.
snow report
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

Maybe the next time I'm recruiting I should look here. We are snow sports friendly, no kidding. I just took on 4 people, so there's nothing right now, but anyone working in software around Cambridge.... feel free to drop me a PM with your email.

Ditto! Except we are recruiting now, so if there are any excellent engineers out there looking for a change in Cambridge I'd be very happy to hear from them.

Is there an option to work remotely from Vancouver? wink
(used to be in Cambridge, but managed the moving closer to snow bit already!)
ski holidays
stuarth, are you working in software in Vancouver? I'm unable at the moment to relocate to mainland Europe because my wife would have to become fluent in the local language to continue her profession, but Canada...
latest report
Okay, thanks for your help Smile
snow report
rjs, don't know many surgeons in the UK who work like that. 3 days NHS, 4 days private work, maybe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
Quote:

That is a little harsh! Whether it is acceptable depends on what you are doing and what you are like as an individual. Some people can completely focus on what they are doing and don't even notice people talking to them let alone general noise around them.

I've managed IT service provision to other companies, including sometimes the fun process of explaining to clients why things have gone wrong. It is very, very easy to make expensive errors working on servers. Anyone who has done it long enough will have horror stories to tell (or possibly, not to tell). Anybody I managed accessing servers from a restaurant would be fired.
ski holidays
dogwatch, point taken but most people using VPN in a restaurant are probably checking emails.
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
Quote:

I've managed IT service provision to other companies, including sometimes the fun process of explaining to clients why things have gone wrong. It is very, very easy to make expensive errors working on servers. Anyone who has done it long enough will have horror stories to tell (or possibly, not to tell). Anybody I managed accessing servers from a restaurant would be fired.

I still disagree completely with you, it depends WHAT you are doing.

I work in the applications side. Scenario I am at lunch in a restaurant and get a call from a guy on the help desk because one of our applications is not allowing login. I hop onto the server while still in the restaurant rather than waiting until I have finished lunch, and realise after running a query it is failing because the log file is full. I extend the log file as much as I dare with remaining disk space, send a message to a guy in the infrastructure team asking him to extend the disk. Check I can login to the application OK and report back to the help desk guy that the problem is resolved. I get a message from infrastructure team the disk has been extended so I extend the log file max size further, I then Report to DBA what I have done, and ask them to check if that server is included in their monitoring.

I would not expect to get fired for this. If it were a member of my team taking these actions, I would instead thank them for firstly picking up the call while on lunch and secondly for resolving it quickly while on lunch.
snow report
Firstly, you are going to wreck your digestion. Don't take calls at lunch.

Secondly, if I'm sitting next to you in the restaurant, I hate you. Don't take calls in a restaurant. It's rude to other diners. It's even ruder to anyone having lunch with you.

Thirdly, if you worked for me, I'd still fire you. What you think you are doing and what you are actually doing aren't always the same. Especially in a distracting place like a restaurant, done in a rush.
latest report
dogwatch, no you wouldn't fire me as to be perfectly honest anybody with that sort of attitude I wouldn't be working for long enough. Do you have a staff retention problem by any chance?
snow report
Have a problem hiring good people. Doesn't everybody? CVs full of lies seem common today. Retaining a problem? No, not really.
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
Have a problem hiring good people. Doesn't everybody? CVs full of lies seem common today. Retaining a problem? No, not really.

Yes, I am discovering that! Honestly what do people think will happen if by some reason they interviewed by people who don't have a clue once they are in the organisation? Still think we may finally be making some progress on that front.
latest report
What about mountain guiding? I know there is a huge amount of work that goes into getting the qualification and lots of climbing pre requirements, but is it honestly possible for someone with little climbing experience who has not grown up in the alps?
ski holidays
JackSkier, there's a snowHead doing just that I believe, but not seen him around for a while. He's probably too busy gaining his qualifications.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
Thirdly, if you worked for me, I'd still fire you. What you think you are doing and what you are actually doing aren't always the same. Especially in a distracting place like a restaurant, done in a rush.

The application had already failed. It will continue to fail until some intervention happens. The sooner the intervention, the sooner the application will start working again. I know my clients would prefer he perform the intervention at the first chance he get.

NickyJ wrote:
dogwatch, no you wouldn't fire me as to be perfectly honest anybody with that sort of attitude I wouldn't be working for long enough. Do you have a staff retention problem by any chance?

I wouldn't even consider working for him to start with. I've only made that mistake once. Never again do I take an offer without asking some question about their work environment. If the expectation is exactly 9-5 chained to the desk, I decline. I prefer a more flexible attitude, even if it means slightly longer working hour or slightly lower pay. In my own experience, that inflexible attitude often goes hand in hand with lack of willingness to embrace new technology. It would mean boring work.

I once wrote an automation program for monitoring a laser beam that drift with temperature changes. The program would readjust the laser to compensate the change. Re-tuning the laser was the reason for having someone sitting in the control room 24 hrs a day (which I was one in the rota). Now that the human had nothing to do since the computer took over. But the boss refuse to abandon the rota.

In disgust, I looked for and found a programming job and left the profession (I was an engineer at the time, NOT a software engineer). Never looked back. Will not go back to that kind of environment. (though to be honest, nowadays one of my selling point is to bring new technology to my clients, it's a pre-selected client base. I don't encounter that attitude much any more)
ski holidays
JackSkier wrote:
What about mountain guiding? I know there is a huge amount of work that goes into getting the qualification and lots of climbing pre requirements, but is it honestly possible for someone with little climbing experience who has not grown up in the alps?

Certainly possible, I believe to train through the British system the majority of the logbook you need to fill to apply should come from British routes.

Damn hard though for anyone, raised in the Alps or not.
ski holidays
Hmm I can imagine getting the British routes would be quite hard. I imagine one could save and do a few years in somewhere like Chamonix to get the experience, but the British routes would make it a lot harder! I guess the other alternatives would be to do it over in Canada/ The US when I looked at it a while back I think that their requirements were a bit more balanced Skiing : Climbing compared to the Brit route
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy