Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foot pads or insoles?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys! was thinking of trying to stop aches and pains I get when I go skiiing by putting something in my skiis boots but came to a dead end because I haven't got a clue what to actually put in them? Do i put in some good insoles, with arch support and made form gel to mold to the whole of my foot or do I stuff in some pads in my shoes instead.. at moment pain is located on the ball of my foot so I was thinking that metatarsal pads might be a good idea...? Can you wear metatarsal pads and insoles at the same time Puzzled

advise would be great thank you.

(SKiing costs enough so I cannot afford £200+ for some custom insoles truth be told I think some podiatrists just try to sell you the whole story for custom insoles to get you to spend your hard earned cash and that's all)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skierpier, footbeds don't cost £200+. I paid less than £30 for mine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One might suggest there's no point spending all that money on kit and trips if your feet hurt too much to ski. As queen bodecia said, footbeds which might transform your boot comfort (and perhaps performance) could cost as little as £30 - go up a price band and you get a more personal fit for as little as £60.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia wrote:
skierpier, footbeds don't cost £200+. I paid less than £30 for mine.

'footbeds' can cost more than £200, or less than £30 or anywhere in-between.

Actual requirement depends on the cause or causes of the pain, ie bio-mechanics, injury & fitness, boots and technique etc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank for your answers guys Smile yes you are right about that, I will also see if my cash will stretch to buying some decent skii boots as well because at moment the ones im wearing are probably too small.. thought if I wear them snug then they keep my feet warm (now I realize probably make my feet fall off) Iv seen these metatarsal pads that might do me as they are meant to help with ball of foot pain anyone used them before I buy them? http://inthenameofsport.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=53... I know you said to invest money but unfortunate for me I spent all my cash on the trip im going on and this is just last minute panic about my feet now :/

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 4-06-14 12:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skierpier, sounds like what you really need to do is to invest a few hours with a proper boot-fitter. They'll be able to advise on the correct size and fit of your boots and any fottbeds/other alterations that may be needed. Be prepaered to take time to do this though, boot fitting is not a quick process and may take several hours.

There are people here who know a lot more about kit than me (OK, thats not hard!...). I'm sure someone will be along in a minute who can suggest companies/ people who can help and are near to you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get yourself decent footbeds; yes custom molded ones are expensive, but they are the foundation on which your skiing is built. Balance is fundamental to skiing and the footbed is the foundation on which you start to build your "stacked" (ie well balanced) stance.

Try this:
put your ski boots on, then get a piece of cardboard (3-5mm thick, eg a piece of cardboard from the packaging of a recent amazon purchase; you might try and make it a bit thicker by doubling it up) and put it underneath the toe (underneath say the front 3cm of the boot / toe) of your R boot. Now, whilst standing on your R leg only flex up and down as if you are skiing (ie flex in all 3 skiing joints keeping chin over toes).

Now put the cardboard on the inside of the R foot and repeat the 1 leg flexing

Now put the cardboard on the outside of the R foot and repeat the flexing

Now put the cardboard underneath the heel of the R foot and flex.

Repeat on L leg.

Why don't you report back on here what you discover about your ability to stay balanced?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skierpier, I think the first thing to establish is, are you in the right boot for your feet and have you been correctly buckling them up etc before you consider investing time / money in footbeds to fit these boots. You have to be totally totally certain of this as well as the flex rating etc before you go further, the more you spend now on these particular boots, it is probable the more you will keep them irrespective of their suitability for your feet.
Boots fit better than ever before with more feet not needing special alterations to boots. So, unless you know you have something less than perfect with your feet causing you pain
i'd just go for possibly a new correct fitting boot at the right flex rating for you now and see how they work out without custom footbeds.
You may know already know enough to have choosen a good boot for you, so maybe you don't need new boots - but are you sure you're buckling correctly?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What price comfort. You will be wearing boots all day. They will last for years. Save money elsewhere not on your boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skierpier, a footbed will do many things, one of them is to stop unwanted motion of your foot, this unwanted movement is your foot pronating (the arch collapsing and the foot elongating) this motion can make your boot feel too small as the foot is getting longer as it collapse.... not often have i seen someone leave a store with a boot too small, usually it is the other way round, boots way too big because they feel more comfortable at the time.

best thing is to have the boot assessed by a boot fitter, (not a boot seller) one who will give you honest advice about what is right and what will work for your feet and your skiing, if this means new boots then it means new boots, but if the size and shape are close then even if the boot is a little soft or stiff for you it can be made to work on a short term basis, a good footbed can be moved from one boot to another in most cases so you are not throwing money away if that is what is required.

you can shell check the boot yourself which is a good starting point towards making sure they are the right length at least... remove the liner, place your foot into the empty shell of the boot, move your foot forward until your toes are JUST tickling the front of the shell, use a torch to look down inside the boot behind your heel and see how much space there is, depending on level of skier foot type and flexibility you want somewhere between 10 and 20 mm in an ideal world, up to 25mm will be acceptable for a recreational skier and as little as 5mm might work for some racers somewhere in that range is where you want to be, there are always exceptions to the rule but for the most part this will give you a starting point.

bear in mind that liners can be short stitched or your flexibility may affect how you stand in the boot but all these things can be adjusted by a good fitter

good luck getting sorted
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM I have searched for more detailed info and explanation on short lasted liners or short stitched liners in the past with very little luck .
Could you give a brief description of short stitched liners when you have time as I have been caught out but need my thoughts comfirmed by a fitters explanation!

In practise I have come across varied shell gaps in new model boots vs my previous model boots yet they are both exactly the same numbered size and brand model boots.
Is that it ?

Why ?
Why do the boot brands short last liners?

It seems like they are trying too add a nasty curve ball to the lenght fitting process that shows up as a mobile foot in the boot ... after 2-3 weeks use?

Although its reallly another thread its summer and this is a current boot thread with CEM on it.. so I hope no one minds .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy