Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School memories - has anyone skiied Nauders?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
About 30 years ago (oh how it seems like yesterday...) I learned to ski while at school, in a place called Nauders in the Tirol. We went about 3 or 4 times (train to ?Landeck? from Calais) , and stayed way down the valley I think at a place called Zell am Ziller, and got the post-bus each morning up to the resort.

Wonderful memories of original wooden kit, leather lace up boots, 'snap lock' spring bindings, (jumpers for goal-posts my, my), and of course the snow was deeper, the days longer, the girsld prettier, the pistes faster, the slopes steeper...
And one particular incident sticks: realising too late as I stopped close by the instructor, full of myself after coming "stylishly" though some woods (none of this mamby pamby piste stuff for my class, nosir), just why he wasn't standing on the nice flat area a mere 3 feet to his left.

Have you ever tried to climb out of a fast flowing mountain brook with 2 m planks tied to your feet?Blush

And then ski the rest of the day with the inevitable consequences of standing in a stream, in the cold, in leather boots and woollen socks? But I digress.

We also went there during the summer, and completed what I think was called the DreiLandeEckerSteinMarche (serious ? over spelling...), or Three- Country-Stone Walk - where Austria Italy and Switzerland all meet, there is a rock marked with the triple-border up in the hills: you can stand on it and be in all three simultaneously. But I think the wooded area in which it stands is/was only open to Joe Public for the event, once a year.

Anyhoo, I notice it isn't on the snowheads listing of resorts, but it appears to have an entry in some of the Tyrolean snow sites as still being around.

So I wondered, does anyone have any info slightly more recently than the early 70s? Anyone else been on the summer hike (somewhere in the loft is my medal / momento for completing - anyone else got one?).

Or perhaps you would like to revive and share memories of other small unregarded resorts now possibly passed over by the great british public in the rush to the French Mega-complexes? (by me & mine included, I admit)

Ahhh... nostalgia. rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy