Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unsual situation, want tips on potential last minute trip to NZ.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my names George.
I'm from the UK, but keen on potentially doing a last minute season in NZ this summer/winter.

My situation is a bit unusual. I'm 20, a University student, but play online poker to support myself. I've won significantly more than an average UK salary this year over 900kish hands of playing, and have been winning consistently since I was 18. Wether you believe me or not is fairly irrelevant to the thread, but basically I have enough money to go out there.

If I went out, I'd want to get a 1br with wifi basically so I could play online poker, and hopefully ski regularly too. How would I go about this, would I book flights and fly out and hopefully sort something there? Or sort a place before I go? I'd much rather live with other skiers if anyone has a room going, would obviously make my social life a lot better.

Where are the best areas to look at? Is it too late to try and organise this now? I've done approx 35 weeks skiing if it's relevant.

Appreciate any tips because I'm super keen to get something sorted.

Thanks in advance,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Queenstown. Your plan sounds great - good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I say this every season.

In 1990 Queenstown was a tacky Tourist dump surrounded by beautiful scenery. Back then, I was shocked at how the Kiwis had let the town go this way. Shocked

After 24 yrs of MASS tourism I can only imagine or dread what has happened to Queenstown since. Shocked Shocked

Far nicer places in NZ to visit. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get onto INZ and apply for a working holiday visa unless you intend to be there for 6 months or less then you can go there on a visitors visa as long as you don't work. Book return flights (you have to have return or onward ticket) then get out there and start looking for accomdation but do it sooner rather than later because accommodation will be harder to get this close to the season.

For accommodation you can start looking at http://www.trademe.co.nz/property?cid=4233 or http://www.realestate.co.nz/rental for starters.

If you want to apply for a working holidaty visa the link is here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/unitedkingdomworkingholidayscheme.htm
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dot. wrote:
Get onto INZ and apply for a working holiday visa unless you intend to be there for 6 months or less then you can go there on a visitors visa as long as you don't work.

Does playing online poker count as a job if you're making loads of money off it? (i.e., would you need a working visa...)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bobmcstuff, No. It's no different to going abroad and buying a lotto ticket. A visitor visa is fine for up to 6 months (with an onward ticket) unless he takes up employment in NZ. He may be asked to show proof that he can support himself on entry through so if it was me I'd take a bank statement with me showing I had ££ in the account.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Er, have we suddenly become Cardgameheads.com or Snap.com? ie is the gambling situation of any particular relevance?? Why not just ask for tips on a ski trip to NZ?

We're considering a fairly exotic ski trip next winter and may post on here for tips - though I wasn't particularly planning on outlining how Mrs MA and I intend to fund the holiday or discussing where we stand in relation to average UK earnings Confused A slightly unorthodox approach I would suggest.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:
Er, have we suddenly become Cardgameheads.com or Snap.com? ie is the gambling situation of any particular relevance?? Why not just ask for tips on a ski trip to NZ?

We're considering a fairly exotic ski trip next winter and may post on here for tips - though I wasn't particularly planning on outlining how Mrs MA and I intend to fund the holiday or discussing where we stand in relation to average UK earnings Confused A slightly unorthodox approach I would suggest.

It's kind of relevant?? Ok not the gambling part. NZ Immigration can stop him on entry and ask how he intends to fund his holiday. Not likely to happen if you're going for 3 weeks but if a 20 year old asks for a 5-6 months visitor's for NZ they are are likely to want to see proof of funds to ensure he doesn't take up employment.
Sorry to sound boring.trust me it is boring. I studied short term visas as part of my NZ immigration law course pre whitedot but it's relevant to the OPs question.

Damn, I've just bored myself senseless!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Top Tip - a car is pretty much essential in NZ. Very little on-snow accommodation and the buses are surprisingly expensive, plus the resorts are small and you're likely to want to move around and ski/ride different places. When we went for the season, we found a deal (aimed at Aussies taking a week's package, but they were happy to do a longer deal) where we got a car at a reasonable price with a lift pass included for each person insured to drive the car for as long as we had the car. Effectively free season passes! This was with a company called Skiwi.

We booked pretty late when we did our season and ended up staying pretty cheaply in an apartment in Queenstown called Whakatipu View. Fairly basic, but clean & spacious. No wifi then (2001), but they probably do now!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy