Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt alternatives for Christmas week?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any suggestions for pretty, reasonably snow-sure resorts that are cheaper than Zermatt? Needs a bit of night-life but not roaring. Any of France, Italy, Switzerland or Austria would be considered.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any ski area in the world is pretty much cheaper than zermatt, look at The Three Valleys, L’Espace Killy or Paradiski all are pretty snow sure and are great ski areas.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Any ski area in the world is pretty much cheaper than zermatt, look at The Three Valleys, L’Espace Killy or Paradiski all are pretty snow sure and are great ski areas.

Zermatt gets something of a bum rap on prices I think. Yes, it is more expensive. But the difference is not that great. Compared to the 4 valleys just east in Valais, a Zermatt 6 day ski pass next year will be £10 more expensive. Even compared to the Three Valleys which you mention (and bearing mind the strength of the CHF compared to the Euro) the Zermatt 6 day pass is only £22 more expensive.

These really are not big enough differences to chose one resort over another.

Obviously you then have accommodation, food beer etc. But you can adapt what you are doing - there are plenty of self-catering places with kitchenettes in Zermatt and even more so in Täsch.

I am not saying go to Zermatt. But I would compare the prices rather than let reputation deter you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Zermatt - twice. I love it (probably just pips Chamonix as my favourite resort), but it IS expensive...

So would people say any 3V resorts (other than Val Thorens) or Les Arcs are snow sure enough?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You should try Cervinia on the Italian side of the Matterhorn. It's less expensive, and for a supplementary fee you can ski the Zermatt side as well. Also hear that the nightlife is very decent!

If that's still too expensive, Valtournenche is close by with cheaper accommodation options.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Both the 3v and Paradiski are snowsure - you'll have no problems at x-mas in either provided that you're not in one of the lowest villages.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was living in Saas Fee for the whole of last season, really good night life, not as touristy as Zermatt and get a ton of snow! Think prices are pretty similar though?!
Other than that, Hintertux in Austria is pretty snow sure and is a lot cheaper.

Lottie Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the Zermatt 6 day pass is only £22 more expensive.

Surely thats the Zermatt only vs Entire 3 Valleys pass? From my reckoning the Zermatt international pass is CHF 434 ~ GBP 281 vs EUR 283 vs GBP 222 which is some difference
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arosa is an all round snow sure winter activity resort starting at 1800m altitude, reaching 2600m. It is further east than Zermatt in Switzerland and has an excellent winter snow record. Offering 225km skiing (six day adult lift pass:which is less windy (more sheltered) than Zermatt skiing, Chalet Runca offers catered service for family groups (10-12) at Christmas (and is also available self catering). There is also Christmas availability in a self contained Apartment sleeping 4. With twenty years in the business of hosting chalet groups, Helen & Mike together are your ski holiday local encyclopedia of the area. Access from Zurich Airport is easy (& stunning) by swiss rail & by road (if you like sweeping around 365 bends to get from chur, the oldest continually inhabited city in switzerland,to the end of the road in Arosa).

Arosa Lenzerheide Lift Pass entitle to free use of the 42 transport facilities amongst the vaste & varied area of Arosa linked with Lenzerheide.
Includes local train between Langwies & Arosa (for walkers or off piste skiers doing the Davos circuit).
Adult 6 days plus 1 day free
Adult: 332 CHF
6-12 year old: 111 CHF
5 and under: gratis

Beginner Pass
The slopes on Prätschlilift can be used for beginners.
Adult: 15 CHF per day
6-12 year old: 5 CHF per day

Tschugg Pass
Ideal for families with small children or less experienced skiers.
Cable car Arosa-Weiss Horn first section,
chairlift Tschuggen East and
gondola Kulm, the ski lifts
Ried,
Tschuggen-West,
Tomeli and
Prätschli.

In any valid Tschuggenstrasse pass the public transport on the route Chur - Arosa (RhB) upon doing alpine winter sports is included for free.

Adult: 186 CHF 6 days (plus 1 free)
6-12 year old: 62 CHF per six days (plus 1 free)
Cool

Group leaders are welcome to contact Helen directly to discuss holiday plans.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy