Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How managable are FIS skis

Poster: A snowHead
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You know what? True story... I knew a guy who got kicked out of Royal Marines recruit training for being too dumb. Simply couldn't understand how to orientate the map, nor understand where he was.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarpa wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Kooky's lad bought a pair of old long white straight skis on ebay for €1. He skied a couple of Salzburg ski instructor races on them and didn't do too badly Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kids today innit? They can be both irritatingly hipsterish and talented.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hipster? Come on. If one is a young guy fascinated with old stuff yes but if one is an old guy being old? Retrogrouch, yeah I would be in agreement. Oh and yes skiing is a show off sport so you bet I am showing off my skills on the old stuff. If your modern skis are so good then the the resort would not have to groom everything. Did everyone wearing helmets reduce skier deaths? No it did not. Just kept ones brains from splashing onto the tree. I'll ski the way I want.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JamesHJ, ah but there's a difference between not knowing how to read a map, and knowing how to read a map but also knowing that GPS is probably the best option in 80% of the cases for most people
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Andre straightski,
Quote:

If your modern skis are so good (They are) then the the resort would not have to groom everything (They don't).

If old skool skis were as good as modern skis, if they gave a performance advantage at anything, then any skiing athlete would be skiing on old skool skis.

They aren't.

There's a reason for that.

And modern skis are way more fun - used with modern technique.

Bit like suggesting you double de-clutch in a Tesla. It won't work very well. It won't be much fun.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If one is a young guy fascinated with old stuff yes but if one is an old guy being old?

Quote:

Just kept ones brains from splashing onto the tree.

"One"?? Colorado...... Really, old chap? Who's hosiery are you?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DH, SG and FIS GS are all on pretty much straight skis. Only slalom is on heavily shaped skis. The difference between a manual transmission and automatic is the higher skill required required. You guys are all in the automatic world.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@JamesHJ, ah but there's a difference between not knowing how to read a map, and knowing how to read a map but also knowing that GPS is probably the best option in 80% of the cases for most people

I agree, might have to get one of those new fangled smart phones one of these days Very Happy

I actually like to just look at e.g. driving routes on Google maps before leaving the house. Adds a bit of spice to route finding! Drives the wife insane if she is driving and I then fall asleep though Very Happy

I also love setting off on foot at random in big cities, especially on a beer crawl (remember those?). Had some amazing nights out at various conferences in my youth. This works better in Europe than e.g. South Africa or Baltimore....

[Ok, so I used a GPS extensively in the US when driving, but everything suburban looks the same there]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Originally from the Netherlands.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Andre straightski, so you're suggesting that you're a better skier than anyone using sidecut? Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Andre straightski, Have you got a headband, mirrored shades, a pastel onesie and a grizzled visage?

I'd like to think you do, and also leave a waft of old spice when you skid past snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have to have more skill to make my skis work instead of just rolling on edge and letting the ski do the work for me. Bump skiing however is still the same. You cannot carve in a mogul field.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andre straightski wrote:
Originally from the Netherlands.

Explains a lot from the arrogance/overconfidence to the trolling Laughing [/nationalstereotyping]
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You know the saying... If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much!
latest report
@Andre straightski, no, you have to have a different skill.
snow report
JamesHJ wrote:
@Andre straightski, Have you got a headband, mirrored shades, a pastel onesie and a grizzled visage?

I'd like to think you do, and also leave a waft of old spice when you skid past snowHead

You just described flangesax on the end of season day Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I sometimes drag out the old FIS GS skis which have a 27m radius, great fun but hard work to keep going on all day.
snow report
OK you got me there. Sure "different" skill. The OP is how manageable are FIS GS skis and you guys have turned it into a dick waving contest!
snow report
Laughing There's only one person on this thread who saw fit to bump a 7 year old thread just so he could helicopter his johnson. Took a while to get there and there was possibly something of interest and education in the meantime that people honestly and clearly mistakenly engaged with Laughing

Do WTF you like. I doubt any of us will feel the need to prove we are masters of the skiing universe by copying you. Just don't bore us with tedious irrational arguments like Deb Armstrong didn't tell me not to.......

PS the S9 Coupes which you proudly proclaim as straight skis weren't. AIUI they were in the first generation of race skis with sidecut. Maybe not as pronounced as today but definitely from the period of transition.....
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

You just described flangesax on the end of season day Laughing Laughing Laughing

Surely the grizzled visage and the old spice is every day? wink
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

the S9 Coupes which you proudly proclaim as straight skis weren't. AIUI they were in the first generation of race skis with sidecut. Maybe not as pronounced as today but definitely from the period of transition.....

Actually, iirc, the S9s (or at least mk1) were from 1990, predating the "proper" shaped skis by some margin. The S9s were a little different in that the waists were a bit further back to be optimised for the J-turn, then in vogue.

Can never manage FB images but there's a pair here, I rust my case https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/250158199335132/

@Andre straightski,
Quote:
DH, SG and FIS GS are all on pretty much straight skis.

Inky, inky, incorrect. Not really, not in comparison. I measure my Rossi 7Ss at around a >55m radius - which is straighter than a current downhill ski. Downhill skis aren't far off but SG and GS very definitely are.
snow conditions
Agree the S9 is a J turn ski.
snow report
Andre straightski wrote:
OK you got me there. Sure "different" skill. The OP is how manageable are FIS GS skis and you guys have turned it into a dick waving contest!

Laughing Laughing Says the man who keeps telling everyone he's more skillful because he loves old crap
snow conditions
@under a new name, my mistake googled around the 97 vintage which he was claiming abd found an article talking about state of the art shapes.
ski holidays
Andre straightski wrote:
I have to have more skill to make my skis work instead of just rolling on edge and letting the ski do the work for me. Bump skiing however is still the same. You cannot carve in a mogul field.

As thread is about FIS skis, I would really love to see you on FIS GS skis which you would "just roll on edge, and let ski do the work for you" Wink Considering real WC stock GS and SG skis are my daily driver, I actually know what I'm talking about about, and I know how much effort you need to put into carving turn with those skis, so "just roll on edge, and let ski do work for me" is as ridiculous as it can get, and can come only from someone, who never even stepped on these skis.
latest report
@primoz, too good! You always make me laugh (in a good way) wink
ski holidays
@primoz, I think the thread needs to be renamed Rudy and his Rudettes! No kidding about the FIS GS skis. I started my comment because I bought a pair of FIS skis and I wondered how they would work using old technique. I will let you know how they work out for me this upcoming season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How they would work using old technique? They skid and slide just fine, but that's not what they are meant for.
snow conditions
@primoz, I know that they are not meant for that, but you basically answered my question.
ski holidays
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPcDb8lNprP/?utm_medium=copy_link
ski holidays
Not that anyone on this forum cares. I returned from my vacation to inspect my new skis, mount the new bindings and discovered the above. No one can accuse me of owning "old crap". Both are made by hand in France and both are constructed in the exact same manner.
latest report
@Andre straightski, jeez man. The S9 was a fine ski, in its day. Not any more.

The Dynastars are very different beasts and deserved to be handled correctly.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Andre straightski, jeez man. The S9 was a fine ski, in its day. Not any more.

The Dynastars are very different beasts and deserved to be handled correctly.

As a competition ski you are correct but still works as a recreational ski. The 2015 ski is different but the question was put forth on how manageable FIS skis would be to average humans. I intend to find out. If they prove to be unworkable to me I will then certainly report my defeat.
snow report
@Andre straightski, I don't think I have suggested anywhere that they're unmanageable. I have FIS SL, GS and SG all of which I occcasionally take out on piste. Totally manageable.

I am only arguing that to get the best out of them, and have most fun, you want up to date technique.

Otherwise they're just harder work than other skis.
ski holidays
Noted
ski holidays
@Andre straightski, I am 76kg and when on the older GS skis I need to get up to about 50kph before they even begin to work and flex. I have skied them all day but could not keep up carved aggressive turns for more than about 2 hrs. I need stronger legs Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy