Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How managable are FIS skis

Poster: A snowHead
@Andre straightski, a very nice ski indeed. I have the same ski but from a few years previously and with Rossignol graphics.

But not as skinny as you would think. The side cut is iirc about a half to even a third of your old S9s (which were a very fine ski and lovely graphics).

Also, if you use old skool technique, it will more or less work but they won't be nearly as much fun and quite a bit harder work. They are (I think) at least as torsionally rigid and with that much side cut ....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Andre straightski, Have fun. Must admit, whenever I skied on proper FIS race skis (mostly SLs), and skied them as the should be, unless the slope was empty, I was a proper public nuisance....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I am currently away from home on vacation so I have not physically seen the skis yet to compare but I am excited about them. Seems from the photos that the bindings are mounted farther forward than my old skis so that would definitely make them ski different. Agree that amateurs cannot ski them as intended on a busy piste and I never learned the new carving technique anyway. Not sure what all the excitement was about when FIS increased the turn radius. Seems like the athletes are not having any problems with the straighter skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Andre straightski, You miss the fact that it handed roughly a season's worth of advantage to Ligety who'd developed the "Stivot" to make a longer radius ski more usuable in tighter GS sets. The overall intent was to slow racers down because pure carves repeatedly leads to increased speed/danger.

Take a modern technique lesson if you are such a hotshot it'll be the icing on the cake, if not you might learn something useful and be safer to boot.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Take a modern technique lesson if you are such a hotshot it'll be the icing on the cake, if not you might learn something useful and be safer to boot.

Probably safer for other people if he doesn't know how to use a 35m GS ski properly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Andre straightski, a very nice ski indeed. I have the same ski but from a few years previously and with Rossignol graphics.

But not as skinny as you would think. The side cut is iirc about a half to even a third of your old S9s (which were a very fine ski and lovely graphics).

Also, if you use old skool technique, it will more or less work but they won't be nearly as much fun and quite a bit harder work. They are (I think) at least as torsionally rigid and with that much side cut ....

Yes I would think the tails don't flick around as smoothly as on the old S9s....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
@Andre straightski, Have fun. Must admit, whenever I skied on proper FIS race skis (mostly SLs), and skied them as the should be, unless the slope was empty, I was a proper public nuisance....

FIS SLs are, what, 13m radius? You can hoon around on them quite safely. Crank them over and you can carve away from any sort of trouble. Never skied FIS GS but I imagine skiing them at carving speeds IS pretty antisocial unless the piste is empty!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs, whisper it but I'm not entirely sure this is not a character who might lurk under bridges...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Sure, I also wouldn't want to deprive a US instructor of some income.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

FIS SLs are, what, 13m radius?

@jedster, I think my old Nordicas were 11m?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I THINK the 165cm men's standard is 13m and the womens std (158?) is 11m but I'm way beyond my competence here Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jedster, I'm certainly not going to argue Happy All that was marked on the tails for any dimension, other than length, was "R&D" Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No not a troll. I am however a decent expert level skier at least with the old style. Certainly not a hotshot especially now a days. I thought that I read that Ligety was the most outspoken against the new FIS rules. I will give the new skis a try and if they don't work out, I still will be happy. I still have fun on the slopes and ultimately that's all that matters no matter how one skis. Incidentally, most of the people I see at the resorts don't know how to carve turns even though this technique has been the norm since the mid 90s.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Andre straightski, At least you can claim to have prevented those skis from being turned into a chair or a fence, they are obsolete for racing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I personally think it's a shame to turn skis into furniture but I suppose it's better than the trash. I would rather ski them obsolete or not.
latest report
@Andre straightski, truly, you would have more fun taking a lesson and boosting yourself into the modern world Happy
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Andre straightski, truly, you would have more fun taking a lesson and boosting yourself into the modern world Happy

If I was a younger skier I would agree but why do you thy I would have more fun? I currently have fun.
ski holidays
Andre straightski wrote:
under a new name wrote:

If I was a younger skier I would agree but why do you thy I would have more fun? I currently have fun.

I used to have fun skiing pretty well on old skinny skis.
I have more fun skiing better on modern skis.
That's why I think you might too but of course its entirely up to you
ski holidays
Well when I try the new skis out, the will probably dictate a change in my style naturally.
snow report
@Andre straightski, not necessarily.
ski holidays
Well I trust the opinion of former Olympian Deb Armstrong and she has not mentioned to gear up nor change my skiing style and since FIS racing ski geometry is closer to my old skis than any shaped ski, they will work the same.
snow report
Andre straightski wrote:
Well I trust the opinion of former Olympian Deb Armstrong and she has not mentioned to gear up nor change my skiing style and since FIS racing ski geometry is closer to my old skis than any shaped ski, they will work the same.

I don't think she skis on old skinny skis does she?
latest report
No she doesn't but she isn't telling me to get on the shaped ski bandwagon. If my skis and style still work for me then that's all that matters.
snow conditions
Andre straightski wrote:
No she doesn't but she isn't telling me to get on the shaped ski bandwagon. If my skis and style still work for me then that's all that matters.

I've told this story before, but my partner was a national team skier in her youth, and resisted shaped skis until ca. 2010 or 2011.

We eventually ended up in the skiing museum in Grenoble, where there is a progression from wooden planks, things with leather bindings, weird steel things etc... until we ended up in front of a window with her skis in it!

We stood there for a long time in silence... eventually she said "Be Nice please! It, maybe you are right" (how often does a husband hear that?). The next day we ordered a pair of Volkl race tigers and a whole new chapter of our skiing lives started!
snow conditions
That's a funny story! In my case, I will be displayed along with my skis. When I think I am no longer having fun, then I will change.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Andre straightski wrote:

I don't think she skis on old skinny skis does she?

She skis a bit old style though.
snow report
@Andre straightski, You might find that a modern competition bump ski feels closer to your old ones than a modern GS ski.
snow report
Oh, no argument there. You are probably correct but as I said, a new top of the line (in 2015) pair of skis plus bindings for 230 USD is impossible to pass up. Someone mentioned that they are obsolete but somehow I doubt by much. It would be my first experience with system bindings. So there is a step to the modern world right there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Andre straightski, It was me who said they were obsolete, they won't have system bindings though.
snow conditions
Well these Dynastar skis only come with an R20 race plate and Look SPX 15 MFX bindings. Only binding offered. To me if only one choice of binding that's a system.
snow report
@Andre straightski, You can mount the bindings on any flat ski, or plate that isn't pre-drilled.
snow conditions
Well when I return from vacation and can physically inspect the skis I'll let you know. I believe the plate is pre drilled and mounted already on the ski.
snow conditions
Andre straightski wrote:

Sorry are you actually skiing with her, in which case no one here has anything to add or watching clips of her coaching on youtube? If the latter it's probably because its 25 years since shaped skis became mainstream and she probably doesn't think she needs to call it out.
ski holidays
Wish I was skiing with her. No, I just wrote to her. She couldn't care less if I wanted to ski with 1950s skis. If I was a WC hopeful I'd be on the fastest equipment available. As the previous post stated even competitive skiers get attached to their old stuff. You all are starting to sound like that Subdivisions song by Rush! Smile
snow report
@Andre straightski, you could also mount similar bindings and their Rossignol clones I would strongly suspect.

They aren't obsolete as such, but almost certainly no longer within current FIS regulations. So possibly useless if you were racing World Cup Twisted Evil
snow report
@Andre straightski, so she was polite enough to say something like " if you're having fun don't worry about the equipment"? Which is fine and should be a mantra for all. But it's not a basis for converting others to your slightly needy retrogrouching. If you are skiing straight skis in this era you are either a diehard reactionary or some kind of hipster with a fondness for " look at me" inefficiency.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Kooky's lad bought a pair of old long white straight skis on ebay for €1. He skied a couple of Salzburg ski instructor races on them and didn't do too badly Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, I suspect closer to the latter. Probably driving around in a '68 Ford Bronco and using maps to get around because they also work just fine. The fact that he's so proudly banging on about it in multiple threads is just further evidence that he knows they're s**t but is too afraid of change/learning something new to move on. See similar in the motorsport world too

@Scarpa, bet he's quicker on the modern FIS Atomics though Wink
ski holidays
@Scarpa, I suspect that GS or SG they wouldn't be so much of a handicap. A whole load more effort though!
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
.... Probably driving around in a '68 Ford Bronco and using maps to get around because they also work just fine.

Aargh... I am triggered! Must. Not. Talk. About. Maps. GPS. Young generation. wibble wibble...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy