Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania in Early season/Christmas - what are chances of snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So we are joining the club of tied to school holidays next season, which means no more cheap 2 weeks in the beginning of Jan rolling eyes

What are the chances of having a good snow cover in La Tania on week commencing 20Dec? I'm sure there would be some snow in 3v, esp on higher slopes but those are not really accessible for our 4 y.o skier.

Has anyone been there last year around that week? Please share your experience.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oleksii, We always have clients in all of our properties from the first week of the season (usually around 14/12) and in the past 7/8 years I've been closely involved, have been able to ski back to the village. The home runs are well snow-cannoned just in case. PM if you need more as there are some Snowheads who have stayed with us, and might be able to tell you more - I'm protecting their anonymity wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll probably be fine. Courchevel and 3V links will have been open for two weeks (or more?) already by the time you get there so it would be an exceptional year for there to be no snow. We've been there for the last three years around Christmas and not had any problems. Indeed three years ago I had one of my best week's skiing the week before Christmas.

Take this year as an example: not a lot of snow in the lead up to Christmas (some a few weeks before if I remember rightly, but then nothing) and quite warm. La Tania itself is north (ish) facing and tree lined so holds its snow very well - the contrast between the slopes we were skiing on and the view across the valley was stark. But the skiing was fine. Plenty of snow on the beginners' area around the free Troika lift in the village and the ESF school. My four year old was quite happy skiing with me in the afternoon down the easy green run (Loze) into Courchevel and around the family park and that is all above 1800m, so even if La Tania had none you'd still have a good time. Getting back to La Tania we would ski down Arolles (blue, but fine) and then use the bubble lift to get back down the last bit. The blue back to the bottom of La Tania has snow cannons so is always open but is a bit tougher for the four year old, but my 7 year old daughter had no problems with it. The easier green run back was not open due to the lack of snow, but not a problem to download on the bubble. There were a couple of small snow falls during the week which made everything white and pretty again.

As for the rest of the 3V - around 90% was open and the piste skiing was great if not the best. The base hadn't quite built up so I got a couple of chunks out of the bottom of my brand new skis but nothing that wasn't repairable. Off-piste would have been a different matter.

We'll be back again for Christmas this year.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 29-05-14 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kieranm wrote:
...We've been there for the last three years around Christmas and not had any problems.

Snap!! The first year was a bit worrying as there was no natural snow up to 2 or 3 weeks before our trip, and the family weren't happy with me for booking over christmas. But then it snowed, the sun came out, Santa made it to France, we all had a fab time and booked the same holiday the following 2 Christmases.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks guys, sounds reassuring Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We are going Christmas week to la Tania I thought the green had snow cannons for most of the lower part so should be open?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hxbro, if the lack of snow is the result of warm weather snow cannons are of no use.

Generally you would be fine at Christmas. There's not been a bad year for Christmas snow in the northern Alps for over 10 years - but they do happen.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah I was told that they won't be used if its not cold enough.

Not worried went in April this year when it had been really warm and still a good covering on piste especially higher up. Just spend most of the time in 1850.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Not worried went in April this year when it had been really warm and still a good covering on piste especially higher up.

Statistically the snow depth in the first half of April is likely to be better than at Christmas, when it can be very thin or even non-existent at lower altitudes. Although the end of this last season was warm there had been good depths building up through the season and once there's a good base it does take quite a lot of melting. The state of the snow in April is, I'm afraid, absolutely no guide to the state of the snow in December.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/historical/snowreport.aspx/La-Tania#.U4XjBShhG8A
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were there last Xmas and found good snow higher up as expected. The runs into La Tania less so. The green & red were both closed due to lack of snow which directed all traffic down the blue into resort. A fantastic run when the traffic is shared across the 3 runs but when used exclusively it was a problem. By 11.00 it was heavily mogulled and not a pleasant experience.

However, the links into both Courchevel & Meribel were great (Meribel town centre pretty poor as you'd expect when South facing at 1400m) but Courchevel was brilliant with great coverage across the entire valley. My recommendation dependent upon snow cover is to download on the bubble particularly with a young family in tow on the final approach into LT.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks. Our chalet is off the bottom of the red was hoping to come down that off the green near the bottom. To save walking Wink

Let's hope for good snow Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Tania can work at that time of year. For a 4 y/o you can use the mini-magic carpet lift by the Bouc Blanc (?) restaurant at the top of the bubble. Should be enough to start off with, but generally you should be fine anyway on the mini-drag and slopes next to it in town.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My 4yro old (now 5) learnt on the magic carpet at the top (with magic). She then did some lessons in the village the 2nd time we went with esf. Although not to everyone's liking Esf have a dedicated learning area in the village with magic carpet. The children then progressing to the drag lift and either coming down the end of the blue or troika on the other side. Its a good place for children to learn IMHO.

I am now having to chase my daughter when we take her to practice at Mk I am a bit worried for what she'll get up to at christmas... Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

oleksii, We always have clients in all of our properties from the first week of the season (usually around 14/12) and in the past 7/8 years I've been closely involved, have been able to ski back to the village. The home runs are well snow-cannoned just in case. PM if you need more as there are some Snowheads who have stayed with us, and might be able to tell you more - I'm protecting their anonymity

I'm one of those anonymous clients - and a very happy client to boot.
Madeye-Smiley

I took a big party (27 people) to La Tania for a 21st birthday bash the season before last. We were there from the 17th of December if memory serves, and we had a fantastic week. More snow than we could shake 27 sticks at. Obviously there are no guarantees whatsoever that this or any other year will be the same but as others have said you have easy access to the higher areas of the Three Valleys if it is a bit thin lower down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bogusman, thank you Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy