Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone else off to New Zealand this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Obviously NZ is a bit of a hike for most on this board but there must be a few others heading there. I'm looking to head to Queenstown mid August.

Sure, there are some downsides such as limited on snow accommodation and short runs but it's still a great place to visit and most of the time a better bet snow wise than the Australian resorts.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 27-05-14 12:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Anyone else off to New Zealand this year?
I'm not - but would love to go at some point....Full trip report + hints and tips please Very Happy !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Better skiing/cost in Chile/Argentina?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
Better skiing/cost in Chile/Argentina?

Maybe, but I live in Australia so New Zealand is much closer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading to NZ early August. Hoping to do some touring so would love to hear any recommendations. Have been advised to head to some club fields such as Temple basin for a few days. Might well get the ski legs at Porters if the there is enough snow.

Also planning a few weeks in Australia before hand with hopefully some good skiing at Mt Hotham and Falls Creek in Victoria.

Looking at lift tickets the prices seem very expensive so most of the skiing might well be touring.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, lift tickets in Australia and New Zealand are very expensive. A six day 3 Valleys pass in France seems cheap to me Confused New Zealand also has a large number of days where resorts are shut completely due to weather. There's no tree skiing so wind plays a big part in this. Luckily if you stay somewhere like Queenstown there's normally somewhere in driving distance open.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would hardly call two or three days per season a large number. This the max closed days for the mountains in the Queenstown area. Some mountains such as Mt Hutt and the central North Island areas do indeed have more closed days. Hang11 lives in central Canterbury and can keep up informed on the conditions at Porters and the nearby club fields.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've thought about it. 30+ hours flying. Stopped thinking about it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raven, loads of places do early bird season prices which would work out cheaper for you although I think you may be a bit late now. My local hill (Mt Ruapehu) is around $400ish (£200) for an early bird season pass.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sarge McSarge wrote:
I would hardly call two or three days per season a large number. This the max closed days for the mountains in the Queenstown area. Some mountains such as Mt Hutt and the central North Island areas do indeed have more closed days. Hang11 lives in central Canterbury and can keep up informed on the conditions at Porters and the nearby club fields.

I should have noted that this was based on my personal experience and I'm not exactly known for having the best of luck with conditions on my trips!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did a season last year and i'm awaiting visa to do this winter! the snow has started falling already and theres a new chairlift at the REMARKABLES and new lights for night skiing at CORONET PEAK. 50 cm of snow at remarkables and 15 at coronet as the latest snowfall. it's definitely something everyone should do even if its just to see the country over winter! Highly Reccomended!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bug all snow in Canterbury at the moment, but its very early days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been checking these webcams to see how its progressing.

Slowly it would seem in Australia. But some in NZ

http://ski.com.au/snowcams/index.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New Zealand would be a great place for a season. Great opportunities for skiing if you are local too. However having experienced lots of skiing in Europe and a little in New Zealand (Mt Ruapehu & Coronet Peak) I would not go to New Zealand for a skiing holiday. The areas are small and short and limited when you are used to the vast areas we have in Europe.

You get very little for you (expensive) dollars and a ski trip to Queenstown for a North Islander (as I was) seemed much more expensive than a trip to Couchevel from the South of England.

If I was off to New Zealand to tour and see the sites (minimum 3 weeks) I would go between December and March, and if you were inclined for some skiing stop off in Whistler, or even Japan enroute. Best of both worlds!

The New Zealand Winter has no interest to a European (unless doing said season or emigrating). Fantastic country October to May. My views!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why choose NZ over South America? Just interested to know having never been to either.
snow report
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:
Why choose NZ over South America? Just interested to know having never been to either.

For me its friends over there, so costs are a lot less. Also having to head to Australia for other commitments it was a great opportunity to ski somewhere different.

Originally the plan was to go to Chile for some touring for a few weeks, but then something else popped up which meant a change of plan. But for me, if i did not have to go down to Australia, then would have headed to South America. A once in a 5 year type trip due to costs involved.
snow report
yuppie wrote:
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:

For me its friends over there, so costs are a lot less. Also having to head to Australia for other commitments it was a great opportunity to ski somewhere different.

Originally the plan was to go to Chile for some touring for a few weeks, but then something else popped up which meant a change of plan. But for me, if i did not have to go down to Australia, then would have headed to South America.

Ok makes sense, either way you're skiing in summer you lucky beggar!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy