Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What size skins

Poster: A snowHead
if you had a ski that was 132-98-122 and the option of 115mm or 140mm skins which would you buy, price difference is negligible?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
140 will allow you to get a 'perfect' fit and, perhaps more importantly, will be much easier to cut. That said, I don't think that 115 will be much worse - only about 5mm extra ski showing each side at the tip and fine at the tail.

I find it harder to get a smooth, frey-free edge when I'm cutting into a curve. It's much easier if you're cutting a solid chunk off.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like 140mm will be easier to cut then. I have never cut skins before as I bought the ones I have now second hand and they were a good enough fit so easier is better. Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
115 will be plenty wide enough.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it's about £3 price difference so really looking for best to cut.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you've a choice of clips then my advice would be to go with fixed loops on the front and the adjuster at the rear. I find that toe loops on rubber tend to get kicked off too easily. The Black Diamond adjustable tip loops work well for me:
http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-skins/adjustable-tip-loop-BD1636170000ALL1.html

It's a bit gripping cutting tour first pair of skins! Get a sharp pen and a new, sharp blade then take it slow and relaxed.

1) Fit the uncut skin as central as you can manage then draw round the ski onto the exposed glue with a sharp pen.
2) Shift the skin over so one line disappears and the other is constant distance outside the ski. Leave 3mm for a snug fit or 5mm for something more relaxed.
3) Turn the ski over then, with a new blade, cut along the edge of the ski pressing the skin into the base on each cut.
4) Shift the skin the other way and repeat.
5) Some advocate a quick run along the edges with a flame to seal them but I've never bothered.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lynseyf, beg, borrow or steal a G3 skin cutting tool then either would be simple. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks altis,

meh, it's G3 skins so I'm hoping I get the tool with them? The girly version of the G3 alpinist is cheaper than the normal version, appears to be exactly the same, even same sizes Smile

http://www.backcountry.com/g3-alpinist-elle-climbing-skins-womens
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, you'll get one in the box. Makes life really easy!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
115mm (or even 100mm) will be fine.
You don't need a perfect fit at tip or tail - just under foot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
use 115mm that is enough
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi snowHead ...I have read through but just to make sure .. I have 169 cms k2 Seth vicious 130.98.118. Can I adjust the length of skins ? Or do I buy suitable length ? What width skins should I buy ... Ones that I cut to shape ie at least 130 or can I buy some at 98 so at least the underfoot is to the edge ??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
G3 cutter is easier than the black diamond one, I have BD skins but ordered the trim tool from Freeze Pro Shop

https://www.freezeproshop.com/g3-trim-tool-1

Just remember to lift the skin along the edges before starting to cut so it doesn't stick.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the G3 cutter gets gummed up use base cleaner or any solvent to clean it. As said above loosen the edge of the skin first, and dip the tool in water, it will glide better. Don't worryif your line is not perfectly straight from the skin bunching up, an odd mm will not make a difference.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@limegreen1, some skins are easier to adjust for length than others. some people (including me) don't see the need for a tail attachment - if you go that way you just need a pair of scissors to adjust the length

for width, at least 100mm, but 110 or 120 would give a better fit along a longer length of the ski
snow report
Thanks Arno .. Cutting the tail end off idea has given me greater options on second hand kit and a saving of over £60 ! Cheers .. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy