Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One ski quiver?

Poster: A snowHead
Just curious but (personal opinion of course) what's the best ski that you've skied on that's a "do it all" ski. Twin tip all mountain kind of jobby.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nordica Enforcer 2007, or Black Crow Navis. These days I'd say the Navis was the best I've demo'd so far. Probably go for the Corvus now though as more off piste oriented.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I spent some time on Volkl Karma's which I found to be an excellent all round twin tip. Now riding Rossi GS8's (cheat GS ski's) as my all rounders, 80 or so underfoot but with more piste performance compared to the Karma's. I still miss the twin tips though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Volkl Aura
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bibby Pro
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Volk Gotamas - my first modern rocked and fat ski - amazing versatility, a playful ski, perfectly happy on hard packed piste and off piste for either powder floaty carving or quick short hoppy stuff for the trees. I'm sure many skis have a great range of use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Volkl Mantra. To the point that it's more fun on piste as a GS type ski than my FIS GS skis. And handles everything off piste without effort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, I demo'd the Mantras and just didn't get on with them. Just shows how personal it all is, good job there are so many skis out there Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not a twintip but if I had to keep just one pair of my skis it would be Stormrider 95
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A different answer to 'the best ski I've skied' but the best all rounder I owned was a pair of Scott Aztec Pros: narrow enough for short turns/piste, light enough to tour on, wide enough and shapely enough for powder. A great ski
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avalanche Poodle, aye! Taste is hard to quantify on a website. Try before you buy!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My Salomon x-wings make me quiver.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pi, One ski quiver??.............. That illusion again! Back in the day I'd say the Dynastar Coupe du Monde SL. Skullie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Atomic Alibi? It's what I have and they are absolutely phenomenal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pi, Oh............... forgot to say Scott Stunt 196....................... I got a demo pair for sale withy Sally Speed 914's................ £250. Half a day's use, almost pristine.
snow report
skimastaaah, nope horrible ski, waist all in the wrong place. My opinion.

That year? Rossignol 7S.

These days? Anything FIS SL. I mean who wants it to be made easy?
ski holidays
skimastaaah, not an illusion. Just wondering about the skis people have found (if any) to handle all kinds of skiing reasonably well, though Ofcourse all the aforementioned skis have terrains/conditions they excel in.

rasmanisar, I have recently bought a new set of skis, alibis were a definite contender. They look excellent, ended up getting head iTitans and Head Icon TT 60.0 instead.

emwmarine, I had those one holiday a bit ago as rentals. Not a fan personally.

Sharkymark, Friend has a pair of those. Gives the exact same opinion as you strangely.

lynseyf, under a new name, AndAnotherThing.., Volkl fans! I've never owned or even skied a set of Volkl's. I take it you would recommend?

Avalanche Poodle, Black crows look very good indeed. Nice choice, had never heard of them. snowHead
snow report
Pi, i have owned, skied and rented many volkls, of many different types from a 1988 Racetiger (detuned GS but £100 brand new) thru P9, P40, P50 (usually slalom and often the wife's) currently with 2010 Mantras, 185 FIS GS and 203 SG and various along the way. I have never skied a Volkl ski that wasn't a delight.

I also like Rossignol...

I usually find that Atomics are built for a slightly heavier skier (my perception) and haven't got on with Dynastar since the Gold "Course" with the red blobs. An awesome ski.
snow conditions
Stoeckli Stormrider VXL or Kastle MX88
ski holidays
Pi - You say "Twin tip all mountain kind of jobby", and I've just been doing my research on the same thing. Went for a pair of 186 Blizzard Peacemakers. 104mm under foot, twin tip, fairly subtle tip and tail rocker. All reviews point at them being a bit stiffer and having better ability in variable or icy conditions than other skis in this class. I'll be able to update after two weeks on them over Christmas / New Year.
ski holidays
I have the 2010 Scott Punishers - 89mm underfoot - and I love'em. New Punishers are wider but seem to perform similarly and are getting great reviews. I can only compare to others I have tried i.e Rossi S3 and E98. The Punishers are much better all round than both of these. E98 seem heavy and less playful off-piste, a bit too piste biased, the S3's are good off-piste but pretty ordinary on-piste.
snow report
Goodness! Almost every ski mentioned here is for Expert or Hi-expert.
Don't remember many of them when I went on EOSBs back in the noughties.
Don't we have any "normal" skiers here? Or old-timers like me.
I've got a pair of ancient Stormrider XLs, which are great on-piste (though hard work) but beyond my abilitlies off-piste.
So last year, after extensive testing of various skis of all shapes and sizes at the La Plagne Ski-Test weekend (Easter this year), I opted for Dynastar Cham 87s (97s were too heavy and skied like tanks).
They coped with anything and everything: bumps, lumps, hard, soft, powder, slush and sludge. The usual April mixture. Wonderful.
Any other suggestions for average skier one-quiver ski?
ski holidays
rwp, do tell us how you get on with them!!

jzBun, I have just been watching videos about the punishers (getting the seasonal blues, 2months until I'm skiing) and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a set.

under a new name, I'm hoping to get some twin tips actually, going by your personal opinion I think I'll be getting some volkl's. Perhaps aura or karmas???

Jonpim, in honesty, I think that the people with one set of skis tend to be average skiers. Some eco eras do too but most instructors I am friends with (not many) have 5 or 6 pairs.
ski holidays
Pi,
I once tried a one ski quiver but after really trying to stick with it, in the end I gave in and bought another ski for my other foot. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Was thinking more monoski than half a pair Wink
erk at the thought of monoskiing though. just looks wrong, and a pita at lifts, and anywhere you'd normally need to pole a bit.
ski holidays
andy, I still have a monoski (I thought that that was what this thread was about) - great in deep or steep snow but very hard work else where. I haven't been out on it for years. I actually found it much easier than snow boarding.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/P1sN0rMt8fI
latest report
Just get some second hand B2s Razz
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pi, I have liked all the Volkls I have skied although they are quite stiff, probably a bit stiffer than I would like as I find on a bad day I can struggle, I've had Karmas, Bridges and Auras, and have demoed a few more. The Karmas were great but I think you would struggle to get a pair now. All the ones I have skied were pre rocker so I would be interested to see if the addition of rocker made them just that wee bit easier in manky snow as that is the only place I don't love my Auras. I picked Auras as they are the best ski I have skied in all conditions, I also have a pair of S3s and they are my super easy, get down any weird slope in cräp snow ski although they are really soft so pretty rubbish on icy pistes, not really what they are meant for though, for me they beat the Auras off piste as they turn whenever I want at slow speeds. I think a one ski quiver is pretty hard as the things that make a ski fun on rock hard pistes usually make it more difficult to ski in 3D snow and vice versa.
snow conditions
lynseyf, I'm of the same mind, 'all round' to me means everything apart from really hard pistes. I've got some second hand SL skis now for that thank god.
latest report
andy, I got a Snowshark Monoski, a 195 Mountain Gun. Quality monoski with carbonfibre topsheet. Takes a lot of work to get going though.
ski holidays
Avalanche Poodle, I plan to sell the S3s, keep the Auras and get another pair which are fatter and softer than the Auras and have rocker so I'll have one "no new snow one ski quiver" and one "soft snow one ski quiver", oh and a pair of piste skis, hmm not really getting this one ski quiver am I NehNeh
snow report
Volkl Aura.
latest report
Jonpim, I remember skiing at an EoSB with a pair of Aztec Pros with you present back in the noughties wink

Pi, there's a reason for that!
snow report
Sharkymark, super mega skier as you be, I presume Aztec Pros are hyper-expert skis. snowHead
ski holidays
I thought my new Salomon Enduro xt800 were the best all rounder till Swiss Tim let me try the Kneissl Black Star MC ...
Now the Salomons are heading for eBay with just 15 days on the clock.

Then I'll have my own Black Stars!

I dont know why you need twin tips .. you just have to step into them back to front!
ski holidays
One ski quiver?

Personally I suspect you will get on better with a minimum of two skis - one on each foot Puzzled
snow report
One pair of skis and quiver shouldn't be in the same sentence wink
latest report
Jonpim, one of the reasons I chose them as a perfect one-ski quiver is that anyone can ski them and have fun on 'em: soft-ish but lively and poppy with decent edge hold. Expert or not! snowHead
ski holidays
Jonpim, Pretty much every ski made now seems to be for experts though Puzzled I think it's more to do with marketing, people think if they ski something that is marketed at experts then they are one, what makes a ski an "expert" ski anyway, stiffness? I see loads of cr@p skiers straight lining a piste, are they on mega stiff "expert" skis and can't turn, I like to turn so the Aura is about as stiff a ski as I would choose.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 17-12-13 14:46; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy