Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Coat too warm.Want to buy new one.

Poster: A snowHead
I get ridiculously warm when i ski and the sweat starts to fly off me.Last time i didn't wear thermals and kept my coat unzipped but the velcro stuck and it wasn't too bad.I'd like to buy a lighter jacket for next season though.Which kind of jacket should i be looking for?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoid insulation if you get too warm, just get a waterproof breathable hard shell (like Gore-Tex) and add as many layers as you need underneath. I usually ski in just a long sleeve t-shirt and my hard shell. That does me down to about -15.

This sort of thing:
http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/426024

There is a good gear guide here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FullyTucked, don't forget that it was very warm for much of this last season; don't throw away the warm stuff - you'll need it if you ski in minus 20 plus windchill! Last season I (a fairly chilly mortal) did not wear thermals under my ski trousers or many layers under my jacket. Layers are a good solution.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FullyTucked, Get a ski/mountaineering shell such as the Mountain Equipment Changabang (with massive pit zips) if you are venturing into stormy conditions or serious off piste. When you know the climate is not going to chew you up use a light soft shell; I use a Dare2Be top designed for cycling and ski touring. Or a cheap windproof which is highly breathable. That said, I've often skied in just a base layer top with a jacket in my sack on hot days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS. Even when it's -10C I still only use a shell and a thin HH base layer. I have never had to wear base layers on my legs yet, but always take a pair just in case.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is this what im after? http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/454969

Pam i will still take my thermals but i know i won't need them.I would Ski in a t-shirt if i could.I was sking when it was -1 and i had to go take my thermals off because it was ruining the whole experience.My body can't tolerate cold outside of sking though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FullyTucked,

Yes, that's the sort of thing.

I think this is the one that I have (at a very good price):
http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/adi4593/adidas-terrex-feather-gore~tex-pro-shell-jacket/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FullyTucked, Go for any jacket with ventilation. The pit zips are hardly ever closed on my kit. Makes a massive difference, but to be honest any waterproof shell will make you sweaty if you run hot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
musher, That looks a bargain Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ScarpaTheSmoocheePoodle,

£20 less than I paid 2 years ago Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ScarpaTheSmoocheePoodle, FullyTucked, ....and I think that this is a key point - why wear a waterproof shell? There's a strand of climbers and skiers (and I'm one) who seldom use hardshells. Why? because they are mostly sweatbags when it comes to skiing - even the high end stuff. Yes, I have three layer gore tex for torrential days in the hills (which lives in the bottom of the sack and comes out when it gets awful), but for skiing and climbing (long periods of exertion followed by periods of being static) a good softshell with no membrane and a high quality dwr is a very good system. I have some deep pile softshells which are excellent - regrettably some, such as the Patagonia Speed Ascent and Northwall, are no longer made. Of current deep pile softshells I would recommend the RAB Baltoro Guide. I have hardshells and use them, but almost never for skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher wrote:
FullyTucked,

Yes, that's the sort of thing.

I think this is the one that I have (at a very good price):
http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/adi4593/adidas-terrex-feather-gore~tex-pro-shell-jacket/

I would buy that but it's out of stock Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I tend to always have a waterproof shell with good ventilation and use a baselayer and midlayer (polartec) when it's really cold, when I'm hiking I just swap my layers about so I'm happy. I can never be bothered to pack more than one riding jacket so a high end shell that has good breathability, waterproofing and drys out quickly is a must. I usually find the jacket I want and just pick it up in the end of season sales.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I was sking when it was -1

that's pretty warm..... we do hope it is firmly below freezing most of the time in the main season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's toasty.
The year it was -29C (-37C chillfactor) in Arabba was the point where we realised that sitting round the fireplace is a far more enjoyable pastime. No such thing as overheating there.
Skied in +8C there too. I just go with wicking base layer (rather than thermal), thin fleece, and jacket half undone (but not flappy anorak sitting on the karzee style skiing that you see some doing)
snow report
FullyTucked,
I'm like you, even at -15'c, no more than a pair of sport shorts under a thin pair of salopettes and whatever layers needed under a thinish jacket, armpit vents are a must have for me!. I always look for lighter colours that do not absorb so much of the suns heat
I bought some new kit this year, the salopettes are dark blue and a bit thick but they have zippable vents down the sides.

My first ski holiday was Andorra in March (Betty Swollocks!!!), my 2nd was Tignes in January 1987, so I set out the first day with thermals from top to toe, went to the top of the mountain, skied to the bottom, peeled all the thermals off, wrang them out and never worn them since!.
latest report
I'm with valais2 on this one. The OP says he sweats a lot and, to me, this screams "stay away from hard shells".

These days for skiing I just use a Rohan Windshadow as an outer layer and mix/match thermals/fleeces underneath to suit the temperature. I have a Paclite jacket in my sack but I've never, ever needed to use it.

Some more useful info:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2141613
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/271303
www.mountainadventurecompany.com/index.php/eng/content/download/374/2338/file/Soft%20shells,fleece.pdf
www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/breathability.pdf
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
.... why wear a waterproof shell? There's a strand of climbers and skiers (and I'm one) who seldom use hardshells. Why? because they are mostly sweatbags when it comes to skiing - even the high end stuff. Yes, I have three layer gore tex for torrential days ... a good softshell with no membrane and a high quality dwr is a very good system.

Definitely a question worth asking.

I used to wonder why people would need/ want Gore-Tex for snow - it's not like you're rolling in the snow, and most people don't ride in the rain.

Now I don't pay for my Gore Tex, but I don't pay for my soft shells either, and it turns out that I choose a Gore-Tex hard shell almost all the time for riding.

I ride a lot in and around Whistler, which has coastal weather (lots of snow at near zero temperatures), and it turns out that Gore Tex works very well for that. Riding isn't much of a work out, so pit zips or equivalent venting is all I need.

The OP does sound like a candidate for soft shells, although don't get a warm one!
latest report
FullyTucked, Another vote for a thin softshell. I usually team it with a very light 'drymax' type T'shirt (if you look very close it's a V'fine doubleknit weave and dirt cheap in walmart/$7) and for my mid layer it's a thin long-sleeved cycling top that has windproof sections over the chest and arm fronts. I stuff a good midweight fleece and very lightweight fully waterproof jacket in a pocket or more usually, daypack, for any emergency situation. But to be honest all they have ever done is provide cushioning when I stack.

I have a beautiful full GorTex Expedition jacket . . . bloody expensive and hyper tough . . . worn it once in 6 years rolling eyes I really should eBay it.
ski holidays
I love these threads. They inevitably bring out the "I am tougher than you boasts.... I only wear running shorts and singlet skiing otherwise I get too hot". (with a sub-text of 'beat that'). wink
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
I love these threads. They inevitably bring out the "I am tougher than you boasts.... I only wear running shorts and singlet skiing otherwise I get too hot". (with a sub-text of 'beat that'). wink

On your last point... how about: "My technique is so good that I don't generate any heat at all, so I need more insulation than fat people like you."?

Despite having lived in Finland and wasted a lot of time in Canada, the only place I ever get cold is the UK. It all depends what you're doing and what type of cold it is.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

Despite having lived in Finland and wasted a lot of time in Canada, the only place I ever get cold is the UK. It all depends what you're doing and what type of cold it is.

Too true. I get colder in Australia, where the temps in the ski fields rarely get below -5C, and are usually warmer than that, than the coldest days in St Anton. Short runs and slow, open lifts are probably the reason.
snow report
philwig wrote:
Despite having lived in Finland and wasted a lot of time in Canada, the only place I ever get cold is the UK.

I've found a chairlift in France in -20C and 30 knots of wind pretty chilly and being trapped on a gondola in similar temperatures that is moving just a few metres a minute in between gusts even colder.
latest report
ulmerhutte, camping in N.Norway in Jan is quite nice as long as you're dry and there's no wind. Most of us ski in very clement weather and we don't need mega equipment. But we do need to be prepared for when it turns nasty. A set of cheap golf waterproofs could keep you alive overnight and will fit in a pocket.
I wouldn't recommend this as normal but even the smallest protection can add hours to your survival.

The minimum any of you should carry are a handful of teabag heaters, survival blanket, torch and a pair of cheap warm gloves. I've had to walk down a mountain in the dark more than once.

choose your clothing to suit your physiology but carry what's needed to suit your itinerary and the mountain's poorer moods.
snow report
Masque, totally agree with you. Dress to suit and, if in doubt, err on the side of caution. That even applies to on-piste, resort skiers. There has been more than one person here in Australia who has spent a night (or forever) out by accidentally crossing outside the resort and getting lost.

I was just being flippant about the sort of posts you inevitably see in these threads.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte, try an 5m under ice rope swim/crawl . . . My plums didn't drop till June and I didn't have a dick for three days Shocked

If I tried it now I would be dead in 3 seconds from a stroke induced by thermal shock blood pressure spike.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy