Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early Season, Long Weekend Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Can anyone recommend a potential destination for a long weekend in mid-December? It's a 40th birthday celebration so going as soon as the season starts is preferable; i.e. as close to the date of the actual birthday as possible.

There will be a group of around 8-10 of us, skiers and boarders but with very mixed ability (for one guy, it will be his first time on the mountain, but most are seasoned snow-sliders). So, we need somewhere with a good variety of runs. My immediate thought was somewhere glacial, but none seem very suitable for beginners.

Also looking for somewhere without a monster airport transfer to maximise slope time.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Claire
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

My immediate thought was somewhere glacial, but none seem very suitable for beginners.

A lot of the smaller and/or lower resorts won't be open in mid April. You could do a lot worse than Tignes with Mountainsun, who do transfers from Geneva. It's not an ideal resort for beginners but your options in mid December are limited and there are some excellent ski schools for your beginner.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
littleclaire, I've done Ischgl in Austria 3 years (2009, 2010, 2011) for a long weekend early-mid December. On all occasions conditions were excellent with the majority of the mountain open. It's 1h10 from Innsbruck though I'm not sure how easy it would be to get flights to Innsbruck early season non Sat/Sat. Memmingen/Friedrichshafen are about 2h10 and Munich is 2h40.

If you can get flights to Innsbruck the resorts directly around there might also be a good bet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Pam - we've just returned from Tignes, sorry, I should have mentioned that. I know what you mean about it not being great for beginners; I did my first holiday there. L'Espace Killy was a baptism of fire! Santons, anyone?

Thanks, Gamsbock - will check that out. I hadn't really considered Austria, I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that it is at a lower altitude than the French Alps so not as likely to have decent snow early on in the season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
littleclaire, the snow often falls better, early on, in the east. But not always. Mid December is a v quiet time - you can afford to wait till very near the time to decide where to go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another good location for early season snow is Obergurgl - which is also a short transfer from Innsbruck if there are any flights which support a weekend?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that it is at a lower altitude than the French Alps

ignore the numbers Smile

I'd have said Sölden, which should be open for business in November. Have skied it at that time - piste performance clinic that we had powder for half the week.

Have also skied Lech (bit pricey), Meribel, Tignes, Obertauern,... all at least one if not 2-3 weeks before Christmas. Indeed Obertauern we skied a week before the Pre-Season bash, although was limited (OK for a weekend).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
littleclaire, I learned to ski whilst living in Southern Germany, and lots of resorts in Austria open from early December. It was a shock when I came back to England, started skiing in France more, and realised most places don't open until just before Christmas! The resorts that open have a reliable snow record at that time of year, so you don't need to worry about altitude - though the places suggested aren't low. Austria is really lovely at that time of year too - the Christmas markets will be on - Innsbruck would be good for that if you are interested in that sort of thing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Morning everyone, thanks for all the suggestions.. I'll go and do some research but it certainly looks like Austria is a winner. Always interested in going somewhere new. The birthday in question is actually the end of November but we thought there was no way of getting out that early. Maybe it's back on the cards now...

Really appreciate all the replies, thank you all again.

C
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
littleclaire, be aware that your beginner will most likely have to pay for private lessons mid December. In my experience, groups don't start until Christmas as beginners don't go earlier in the year. Just something to bear in mind.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stubai in November was great. So was Hintertux a couple of years ago.

There'll be at least a few flat runs on a glacier, even if I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of more advanced terrain on both.

By mid-Dec you most likely won't need a glacier resort (but if there's not much snow they may be rather booked up).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Maggi - I am hoping our beginner, and another of the newly inaugurated (one holiday under his belt), do have a private lesson when we're out there. Personally, I developed much quicker with one-to-one training than I did in a group. I hope they see what a good idea it is. Having said that, they both took lessons at the beginning of the year, albeit at the Snozone, and they've been practising ever since so they know the basics. Still, I am acutely aware that a mountain is a world away from an indoor slope. Hopefully private lessons aren't prohibitively expensive.

Thanks, Horizon - I've been eyeing up Tux but it doesn't look so beginner friendly? Maybe I'm catering too much to their needs, but last time we tried to get everyone on the same slope, some were clearly out of their depth and the rest of us had to wait over an hour at the bottom for them to walk down. I don't want to put people in that position again. Somewhere with a dedicated 'tranquille' area in amongst some steeps would be perfect, if such a thing exists in Austria.

Solden or Obertauern are looking like hot favourites at the moment. From what I have read, Ischgl has some very steep runs and apparently isn't so good for beginners, and Obergurgl is at the opposite end of the spectrum with not much to keep the more advanced entertained.

How do the rest of you cope with catering for such a mixed bag? Or, is the answer to only holiday with those who at the same level? Smile

C
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You are correct about Tux, it is not beginner friendly, you need to be comfortable on REDS to get the most out of it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How do the rest of you cope with catering for such a mixed bag?

Don't try to ski together. Go somewhere you can meet up for lunch. Get your beginner into a group (of not more than 6 people, which would be fine). If a beginner only has a couple of hours private lesson in a week what are they going to do for the rest of the time? If they just have morning lessons that still leaves more than enough time for one or two of your more advanced skiers to spend with the beginner(s) on easy slopes. Or get the advanced skiers to take snowboard lessons then all can muck around together. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just as I thought, JimboS. Shame, sounds right up my alley...

Hi Pam, the issue last time, I think, was peer pressure but not on behalf of the more advanced. The beginners had ideas a bit above their station and then got a big shock. There are two beginner showboarders and maybe a ('one weeker', snowploughing but lacks confidence) skier, then the rest intermediate/advanced boarders and one skier - me. As we're just going for a long weekend, we all want to get as much out of it as possible. By the end of our week in March, the beginners had wound their necks in and stuck together on the greens/blues. Maybe they just need to learn the hard way and I should stop trying to mother them. This is what my OH thinks, anyway Puzzled I think going in a big group is a good thing, as long as everyone realises their own capabilities and limits.

Have ordered a copy of where to Ski and Snowboard 2014 so when that arrives, I'll take that, and the excellent information I've been given here, and put it in front of the birthday 'boy' for him to help decide.
latest report
There used to be a city and ski deal that the hotels in Innsbruck signed up to. You basically choose how many days you want and the area ski pass is included in the price. Really good for shorter breaks as if you fly into Innsbruck you have no transfer time.

Mayrhofen is open from the start of December and is an easy transfer from Innsbruck. You have the back up of Hintertux and the more advanced skiers can also try the other resorts in the valley. I've just booked my Dad in for the w/c 6th Dec which he has done for the last few years and always been ok.
snow report
Typical Mayrhofen mid December conditions from 2006.

Looks like they will open from end of November 2014 http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101008/101009/101016/Ski-pass-prices.html

This run should be easy enough for the beginners, and is the first run you will come across, the other runs into the rest of the resort are reds or black, other than a long blue baby trail which the beginners can take.

The Hof is a great resort and difficult to beat for snow, op, apri, looks, etc

youtube.com/v/EgiH1daNgHU

googiew, what do you do in the Hof?
ski holidays
JimboS, I live here full time but work remotely for a company in UK and just go back when I need to. Works out well!
snow report
Thanks, googiew and JimboS.

Hof does look great, and very reassuring to know it's relatively snow sure from early on in the season. I can't believe we've never considered Austria before, it ticks all the boxes.

Snow in November (just).. sign me up! I can't believe I'm wishing away the summer before it's even started!

Thanks again guys and gals Very Happy
snow report
littleclaire, The Stubai Glacier area will suit your mix of people more than Hintertux will, plus there is considerably more terrain for all abilities. You may or may not be able to fly into Innsbruck (it depends on when the winter schedules start).

Alternatively, if it is any time around the weekend of 13th December, most resorts in the Salzburg area open their official seasons. Flying into Salzburg may be easier, I don't know. Transfer times rarely exceed 1 hour from the airport, especially if you are travelling outside the peak day tripper times at the weekend (08.00 to 10.00 and 16.30 to about 18.30). I've skied all through December many many times in this area without having to go "high". Last year we had the best snow of the season from the end of November through to the end of December. I skied the whole of the St Johann/Wagrain/Flachau parts over the 30th November/1st December and again the weekend of the 13th December to 15th December and everything was open. This is the closest part of the Sportwelt amadé area and the easiest to reach as it is motorway almost door to door from the airport (about 45 minutes and 50 euro a head return this past season). Obertauern is also not too far away, about an hour and 15 minutes from the airport and it will be fully open by mid December, it offers you doorstep skiing as well and at that time of the season you should have no trouble booking a long weekend in any number of hotel, from 2 star up to 4 star superior with all the trimmings. Schladming a wee bit further along the Ennstal is also a really good option with great skiing for all abilities.
latest report
Hi Samerberg Sue - thanks for another possible destination for the short list, and all the travel information! A short transfer is a must and it looks like we have plenty of options in Austria which meet that particular requirement.

Once we've made a decision, I'll be back to look for a ski school recommendation. My personal goal this year is to master my moguls technique so I'll be looking for a coach who can help me do that Toofy Grin
latest report
Les Deux Alpes in normally open early/ mid December, and we have skied there as near beginners/nervous early intermediates Not as atmospheric as Austria by a country mile but does benefit from the incomparable Easiski for tuition.
ski holidays
littleclaire, Just back from a day's skiing on Hintertux and believe me it is not beginner territory nor is it really suitable for 1 or 2 weekers. Although the Sommerberg area will be open by mid-December gives a good safe starter area but the jump to the main glacier is huge. In good weather doable, but if it is zero visibility as it was today forget it. Stubai offers you much better options if the snow is slow getting started or you book a resort in somewhere like Sportwelt amadé (Schladming, Obertauern, Zauchensee, Wagrain, Flachau, St Johann/Alpendorf) where you will have excellent piste conditions due to the world class snow-making that backs up the natural stuff.
snow report
Hi Annie - we were looking at L2A and also Val Thorens but I think Austria has won us over. I'm sure we can fit in another trip in next season though, so will definitely give L2A a second look as a potential for Spring 2015 Toofy Grin

Samerberg Sue - stop it, I'm a jealous snowHead OH and I are thinking about visiting some relatives who live in Southern Germany this summer, and if we drive, as intended, the skis/board will be coming with us. I think the Tux is only a couple of hours drive from where they live so I might very well be able to get my glacier fix after all without the stress of playing mother hen to my dear friends. This might be a silly question, but as we tend to take our holiday in March, and generally have clear blue skies, I'm not sure what to expect in terms of weather/visibility and the need for layering - can you offer any advice as to what sort of conditions we might expect at the beginning of the season?
ski holidays
littleclaire, depends on what you mean by this summer! In August, only Hintertux will be open and it will be from around 07.30 up to 13.30 (that's when the top drag lifts close). Where abouts are the rellies? September is a good month usually to start wandering back up to the glaciers.

Weatherwise, you could have it all - bluebird days mixed with days where you can barely see your ankles for cloud! I always work on the onion principle - layers that can be added and removed as required. Last year March was warm, too warm a lot of the time but the last week on the day I started my holiday with friends (including a returning skier who was almost a beginner) it dumped about 80 cms on us and went cold. We had a whale of a time!

It really is impossible to say what you are likely to get in the way of weather from one day to the next, you are in the mountains and it is notoriously difficult to get accurate forecasts in the manner of the daily TV forecasts - sunny in one valley and a valley 4kms away is in deep mirk with driving snow - been there done that! Shocked
latest report
Hi Samerberg Sue, it's likely to be July/August and we'll probably only have one, possibly two, mornings that we can use for skiing so the glacier being the only place open isn't such an issue. Relatives are near Lake Constance and the Austrian border so it's more like 3 and a bit hours drive. Would probably be closer to the Swiss/French glaciers but we really fancy Tux.

I don't know why, but I always picture early season skiing as a bit more hostile, but as you say, you can have crazy low temperatures with blizzards one day and then bluebird the next so it doesn't matter when you go, it can't be predicted. Certainly not 6 months before! Very Happy From someone who lives in the UK where you can have four seasons in one day, it was a bit of a stupid question. Onion it is Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy