Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making and Fixing Ski Stuff

Poster: A snowHead
So this week saw me fixing my old poles with new powder baskets (an extravagance at £10) and stealing the handles off a pair of £6 poles to fix the other end, handy tip if you want to remove a hard plastic handle from a pole just stick it in boiling water and it slides right off, and now I have shiny new poles which are actually 15 years old.

Next question is, following the boot warmer development project (a Monium Engineering success) and the pole resurrection, what next?

There must be loads of DIY projects that make for really useful ski gear. Not going to be making new skis, or manufacturing boots, but there must be some other bits that can occupy an evening and provide a sense of achievement once finished.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I keep threatening to make a waxing vice attachment for my work mate (the bench type, not a guy at work). This summer may be that year I actually get round to it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe you could cobble together some bits from a kids' electronics set and make a transmit only "avalanche beacon"? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One for the kids get two old sets of skis ( you only need 3 ski's in total) use them to make a sled one set become the runners the other ski becomes the steering ski at the front. ( Ideal for the slightly bigger/more mature kids as well Very Happy ).

Another option dare we raise the subject again maybe a ski lock Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I converted my Dynafit boots to an alpine DIN compatible sole, and I have to report that they worked fantastically in the Atomic Tracker bindings and also felt the same for walking. Behold the Frankenboot http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2393305&highlight=dynafit+sole+frankenboot#2393305

I also had someone pinch my poles outside a mountain hut and leave a pair of old silver ones. Probably drunk. Anyhow, especially for off piste I prefer brighter poles as I don't use the straps and in deep snow they are easy to lose. So I sprayed them with a florescent red and then a coat of auto clear lacquer. Look much better...

I also bought some cheap ball joint vices from Lidl and drilled and screwed them to my wooden work bench. They are fantastic at holding skis for tuning, even for edge angle changing which puts some pressure on them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't think of any other suitable projects at the moment I'm afraid.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ScarpaTheSmoocheePoodle,
Quote:
I also bought some cheap ball joint vices from Lidl and drilled and screwed them to my wooden work bench.

Any pics of your set up? Could do with improving mine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Something like this would be good

Heavy Duty 100mm Jaw Quick Release Pillar Drill Bench Press Milling Vice Clamp £18 on fleabay
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Needs soft jaws though.

My problem is always the tip and tail which need supporting when removing the wax. I also wrap a piece of string around the brakes to keep them clear and I'm sure I can come up with something better than that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne, I don't actually use the ball joint, but imagine this with the suction part drilled and screwed to the bench http://www.uni-max.co.uk/ball-joint-vice-with-suction-cup/d/

Only £12, with two at the right distance apart you can hold the ski firmly. The jaws have rubber protectors and I also placed some off cuts of car mat on the bottom to protect the opposite ski edge from contacting the vice screw thread.

This type would also do http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/product/6677189/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK|Shopping-_-Google+PLA-_-Stanley|Multi-Angle+Vices-_-6677189&kpid=&istCompanyId=f7e7b05b-2daf-4c0e-8825-3633baf8113b&istItemId=xitmamaxa&istBid=tztx&gclid=CK_movLsur4CFbShtAodbVoAJg
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For waxing and scraping I just place the skis across a work bench and a step bench, a tree stump I use for chopping logs on has also worked. Never had any need to secure the skis down for this.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I traced the shape of the sole of my ski boot on to a piece of hardwood which was the same thickness as the ski boot sole. Cut out with a jigsaw, screw on a piece of angle aluminium which can be gripped in my vice (or I suppose you could use a workmate). Then just clip the ski onto the wood.

Works for edges, waxing etc - I don't support the tips and tails, just rely on the inherent stiffness of the ski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I made my wife a splitboard a few seasons ago, using the Voile DIY kit and a new old-stock Salomon board off ebay. I bonded in two new ski edges (from Worden.fr) and sidewalls cut from a length of electrical trunking! Cost around 250 quid all in, at a time when girls splitboards were unobtainable used, and £700+ new Toofy Grin . Four seasons use so far, and no water penetration or delams. It was pretty nerve-wracking skill-sawing a new board up the middle though Skullie !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
deerman, Did a similar thing by making three pairs of "clogs" out of 4x3 ish for three pairs of skis to save me adjusting bindings. Main body of the clog is held by a vice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd still like a pair of the bootcovers if you're bored.
latest report

Can't think of another project?
ski holidays
The old strides were getting a bit ripped up by ski edges, so I bought a couple of black Kevlar patches A4 sized off ebay, got them cut to the desired pattern and got me mum to sew em on.

They look pretty good too. Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy