Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

caveat emptor - a cautionary tale

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
"With the Elan ski's I would report the seller to Ebay now they are not as described and better Ebay end the auction than pay out under the item not as described clause. Also if you look at the last pic the ski on the right is the one with the damage pictured but it looks like the left ski has damage near the ski brake as well"

(sorry don't know how to use the quote function)

Really?......but they were just £32 though.....people sending the seller clandestine messages, others think Ebay should be contacted as they are not as described......all for skis that are £32?

Hang the lot of them I say.[/quote]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ Yip : no point getting a sandy-vadge because someone is selling a well spanked pair of skis on ebay for £30.
The photos, and price, clearly show the condition Very Happy
.... If it wasnt obvious the skis were shaggers everyone wouldn't be getting uptight that they are fooked.
IMHO the bindings are almost worth 30 quid ? So not such a bad deal unless you bid them up to a crazy price - which is your own fault for being dumb. They could make a decent dry slope ski for the right person ?

RE : Original case.
Sadly a thick coating of wax can cover a multitude of sins...
Description was poor : Buyer beware I guess is the moral of the story ?
From photos it can be very hard to tell if a ski has been base ground to death.
Generally I am wary of 2nd hand skis that have been just newly "serviced" - better to see them naked or in person if you want a real idea of their true condition ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

The photos, and price, clearly show the condition

...but the description doesn't. If I didn't have my new glasses I wouldn't have been able to see the issue wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm on 2 minds about this. On or hand the OP really hasn't done himself any favors by not being knowledgeable enough about skis to reject them on receipt - if there hadn't been further damage presumably he'd still be quite happy.

On the otherhand the vendor has through deliberate or accidental omission materially misrepresented history of the item. As he's a sH I'd suggest the honourable thing might be to refund any premium he received over expected proceeds due to ebay bid frenzy. No obligation of course to do this.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher wrote:
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

The photos, and price, clearly show the condition

...but the description doesn't. If I didn't have my new glasses I wouldn't have been able to see the issue wink

The core shot / damage looked obvious to me Very Happy
Looks like it has been repaired with some kind of epoxy / aryl-dite ?
The auction ended for 30 quid - a fair enough price in this case ?
A good example of what can catch you out - but buyer needs some responsability....
It should be no surprise the internet is fully of dodgy people.
The original "spirit of ebay" sadly died in about 2005 Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elan-Speedwave-12-Skis-Bindings-/251537964812?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item3a90d4bf0c&nma=true&si=c4jsbfFS35NIUxwE%252BB1bro%252Fvgu0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To be fair I once bought a pair of triple mounted trashed skis off a sh for £20 for the value of the bindings. Used as a rock ski for a significant period of time, loaners and still technically skiable as long as you know which inside edges to use.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am quite happy to buy a pair of trashed ski's for the bindings as well or even for other items such as having a high quality ski bag if the price is right, but if a seller does not describe an item to the best of their ability I start asking myself what else might be hidden or not shown in the photo's.

The issue with the Elan's is not that they went for £32 and that the bindings may well be worth that but that the seller has given a false statement regarding the condition of the ski's so could there be issues with the bindings as well. If someone is on a low budget £32 can be the same as someone with a good income spending a thousand pounds on a new set of ski's. They are not suitable for use in a fridge without first getting them repaired at additional cost if they even can be repaired.

I agree since around 2004/5 Ebay has gone downhill but not just in the std of traders but also more so with Ebay/Paypal itself.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
speed098 wrote:
I am quite happy to buy a pair of trashed ski's for the bindings as well or even for other items such as having a high quality ski bag if the price is right, but if a seller does not describe an item to the best of their ability I start asking myself what else might be hidden or not shown in the photo's.

The issue with the Elan's is not that they went for £32 and that the bindings may well be worth that but that the seller has given a false statement regarding the condition of the ski's so could there be issues with the bindings as well. If someone is on a low budget £32 can be the same as someone with a good income spending a thousand pounds on a new set of ski's. They are not suitable for use in a fridge without first getting them repaired at additional cost if they even can be repaired.

I agree since around 2004/5 Ebay has gone downhill but not just in the std of traders but also more so with Ebay/Paypal itself.

No, it's not the same.

If you're budget for skis tops out at £32 then the state of the base is the least of your worries.

Have you bought a beer in Tignes or a bowl of pasta in Zermatt......or bought a day ticket at Glenshee?

Don't buy them mate, it's that simple.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidhammy wrote:
speed098 wrote:

No, it's not the same.

If you're budget for skis tops out at £32 then the state of the base is the least of your worries.

Have you bought a beer in Tignes or a bowl of pasta in Zermatt......or bought a day ticket at Glenshee?

If your budget for ski's is around £32 then the state of the bases and condition of the bindings are the most important factors ( presuming you are buying ones suitable for your level).
Unsafe or damaged bindings are potentially dangerous and can cause serious injury bases with base damage at the edges can result in an edge being ripped out cause a bad crash etc. A few scratches even some deeper ones in the base ok so be it at that price you won't be buying them to race but it comes down to how bad or were the damage is.
I have seen trashed skis go on Ebay for well over that price but then the bindings on those ski's were still worth more than they final price including postage. Just because the prices for a beer or pasta or even a lift pass costs nearly as much or more is irrelevant the person buying them may only ski on a local dryslope ( ski ross £5 for an hour certain times as an example ).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
speed098 wrote:
davidhammy wrote:
speed098 wrote:

No, it's not the same.

If your budget for ski's is around £32 then the state of the bases and condition of the bindings are the most important factors ( presuming you are buying ones suitable for your level).
Unsafe or damaged bindings are potentially dangerous and can cause serious injury bases with base damage at the edges can result in an edge being ripped out cause a bad crash etc. A few scratches even some deeper ones in the base ok so be it at that price you won't be buying them to race but it comes down to how bad or were the damage is.
I have seen trashed skis go on Ebay for well over that price but then the bindings on those ski's were still worth more than they final price including postage. Just because the prices for a beer or pasta or even a lift pass costs nearly as much or more is irrelevant the person buying them may only ski on a local dryslope ( ski ross £5 for an hour certain times as an example ).

Phanny
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Damning Ebay over a rash purchase, no matter how cheap the item is, misses the point of online auctions.
Only buy what you know to be good.
Only bid what you are prepared to lose.
There really are some outstanding bargains to be had on Ebay, alongside some very dodgy cr@p.
Do your homework, only bid up to 80% of your top price (just to ensure you cover the P&P costs in your final price, and to ensure you never over-bid.... that's fatal and costly), and don't expect to win just because you want an item.

If you are looking for a range of decent ski hardware on Ebay...... check out "ski4fun-co" and "global_trade_plus_ltd". These two traders have a varied quality range of skis, and have supersized photos of the kit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy