Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski Rep Interview

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have an interview with Crystal for the post of "Resort Rep" later this month, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of these assessment days, or has any general advice.

I know the basics such as turn up in a suit looking smart (duh) and be confident, but not anything more specific as I am only 17 so have only ever had one proper interview before. I have had experience in this kind of work but never skiing, but I know a little bit about the industry, but should I do a lot more research on the package holiday market as a whole as well as Crystal's position in it?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
madskier27, I can't comment on the ski-rep specific stuff, but in terms of general interviews, make sure you study the advertisement carefully. It will probably provide details of exactly what they are looking for - a "person spec". Work out exactly how you fit the bill, with recent and specific examples of the particular qualities/experience they are looking for. Not just a series of assertions ("I am a good team player" "I have lots of initiative" "I am a self-starter" - complete waste of time). Time spent doing that is probably better than doing loads of research on the package holiday market but you should certainly do a bit of homework on Crystal. And you could do worse than search snowheads on "Crystal" AND "resort rep" - might come up with some examples of what customers expect. wink

I thought resort reps were generally rather older than 17, with some wider management experience. But good luck! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I will be 18 by the time the season starts wink But thanks a lot for the advice, very helpful.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
make sure you know what their "corporate values and objectives" are. They will have a mission statement so find it and understand it and think how you fit in to it and evidence your qualities and strengths. Don't be bland be specific and evidential. This goes for any job really
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's likely that there will be a lot of group activity. They will be looking at how you interact with others, how you respond under pressure and how well organised you are. Don't be surprised if you have to do a team activity (such as building the highest paper tower) where you will need to make sure you contribute but don't go dictator on the group!! Can you listen to others and take on ideas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
someone posted a link to a new seasonaires site a few weeks ago, might be some useful info to be found there. Can't remember who posted it or what it was called though. Anyone remember?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a brochure, if such things are still published, and read the first and last pages as these list all the dangly bits about customer satisfaction guarantees and whatnot. These are useful stuff to be able to churn out. You could also read the first message here http://www.natives.co.uk/forum/jons-gude-to-getting-a-job-with-total-ski/1762/3 and then do a general search for interview or assessment on that site as I doubt recruitment practices have changed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, and the very best of luck by the way. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
madskier27 wrote:
Hi all,
I have an interview with Crystal for the post of "Resort Rep" later this month, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of these assessment days, or has any general advice.

They want people who can work 36 hours straight on a transfer day and sell ski packs standing up on a narrow winding mountain road while the coach is doing 100km/h, keep track of the 2 grand they have in their pocket without losing any of it and still deal with irate customers whose:

i. plane was rerouted via Bristol
ii. object to paying a five quid credit card surcharge
iii. who have just found out what "low ceilings" and a "cabin room" really means
iv. have just worked out the ski passes they booked with their holiday are costing them 20 quid more than if booked in resort
v. realise that "ski in/ski out" requires the skillz of Shane McConkey
vi. don't want to be left in a car-park in sink estate in Cluses waiting for an onward transfer bus

while at the same time organizing and selling tacky apres events.

Your interview will revolve around your ability to perform the aforementioned; an interest in the travel industry is a bonus.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Your interview will revolve around your ability to perform the aforementioned.. whilst breathing the coach driver's cig smoke and keeping down a belly full of jager from the night before (which finished three minutes before your 6am departure from resort) and suppressing constantly nagging doubts about the nanny you had bent over the kitchenette.

Added a bit you forgot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albinomountainbadger wrote:
(which finished three minutes before your 6am departure from resort) and suppressing constantly nagging doubts about the nanny you had bent over the kitchenette[/i].

Added a bit you forgot.[/quote]

6am - what is that, a lie-in?

More like - 2.30am, leave bar to meet coach 2km at the entrance of town, begin long drive around resort picking up annoyed and grumpy guests for midday flight. 4am, coach takes wrong turn for Hotel Edelweiss, gets stuck under bridge. Let tires down to free bus, 4.45am, finished pumping tires on coach to continue. 5.15am finished picking up guests in resort but stop at Valdegrace, village on way down for other guests then detour on icy mountain road to Notre Dame des Putes to collect a couple of chalet guests staying at Chalet Titsiana. 7am arrive at Vache-sur-Isere to meet up with larger bus where you'll transfer guests and luggage to onward journey to a landing strip somewhere north of the industrial town of Grobobble. 9am guest de-coach into large hangar, a caravan sells coffee outside, there are a couple of chemitoilets for desperate guests, a queue forms. A couple of overweight and sweaty looking Gendarmes smoke foul gaullois at the security check. One takes great pleasure using his metal detector on any vaguely attractive female client. A tannoy announcement says the plane from Bristol is fogbound and the other flight from Birmingham has been diverted to the airport at St-Chretienne due to wind. You toss up with the other rep who will take the Birmingham guests on the 120km onward journey to meet their flight. You decide to stay put but then find out the Bristol guests are told they will fly out Sunday, you begin phoning around hotels in the local villages to find beds for the night. Result, 3 rooms in the Hotel la Gitane - a notorious "hôtel de passe", the guests won't sleep much tonight but at least they will be ready for the 8am flight.

to be continued.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 19-05-14 16:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crystal know your age, as it is on your application form. Your age is therefore not a barrier to this job, they would not waste your time or their time if it was.

The reason they want to meet you in person, is because how you deal with people in person is what the job involves. When you meet customers, you would be the face of the company. A tour operators main advantage over DIY ski trips, is the organisation and seamless passage from transport to resort and dealing with problems without language barrier.
Your job would be to make the travellers journey easy and relaxed. They are on holiday.

People who are young tend not to irritate people, and they also are keen to serve. It is this which make youth in resort reps an advantage. Imagine if it was a 50 year old bloke who everyone was being served by. This might irritate a lot of the travellers.

They also probably have a picture of you, and how you present yourself. What they want to see is you smiling, and putting them at ease in the interview. Be relaxed, and try to put them at ease. Consider them as a customer of a tour operator, and deal with their questions with confidence and be courteous. You do not need to know all the answers, you do not need to have a lot of experience, you just need to be nice, presentable, and easy to speak to.

Good luck

snowHead

ps. Consider who might be interviewing you. Think about what their age/sex might be and their status. Who would they employ? - it is probably to your advantage that you are young, and need training. Just seem eager to learn, but confident and nice to deal with.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Read War and Piste to fully prepare you for your season Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bigtipper wrote:
People who are young tend not to irritate people

Good grief.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Imagine if it was a 50 year old bloke who everyone was being served by

Quel horreur!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Imagine if it was a 50 year old bloke who everyone was being served by

Quel horreur!

I don't think I'd like to be served by me. wink
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
+1 Smile

I'd suggest you ask a family friend who is used to interviewing to interview you so you can get a feel for it. Folks who run shops, or office middle managers, anyone who takes on trainees so new grads in their firm etc etc. No matter the role a lot of the questions are the same - initiative, teamwork examples, logical thinking, enthusiasm, organisation etc etc. I do interviews for 5th and 6th formers every year as part of a work->school partnership thing and it's amazing how much people improve with a couple of practice runs Smile

Also even if it feels like it is going wrong on the day, take a breath, smile and keep trying - most interviews don't go flawlessly, you aren't expected to be perfect Smile

aj xx
ski holidays
I did some interviews for school leavers, to give them some practice. I was never going to employ a school leaver (I was too far up the ladder to do so), and so what was interesting was which pupils the school teachers decided to let me interview.

I also was a school leaver myself, and remember what I was like then. I had a few interviews at that stage too, but primarily for university places and sponsorship. (summer jobs as well)

People who interview well, tend to be confident communicators, relaxed, and not afraid to sit silently. Remember, the interviewer could be more nervous than you. Like when you meet a wild animal walking in a remote path, the animal has no idea of what it is up against. You will be led into the interview hopefully, but if you listen to the interviewer and play their game, then you will interview well. People who interview well, do not always do well in the job. This is because they have false expectations and hopes, and often are not aware of all aspects of living in a ski resort as well as trying to work. Drinking all night long, getting infected with the flu, skiing too much, and having to fend off advances from ageing skiers (I have never done this to a Crystal rep)

Smile is a good hint. Smile and let the interviewer speak. Try not to dominate the conversation, you want to be a ski rep. Ski reps listen, and deal with the problem in a nice way.

snowHead
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
Smile is a good hint. Smile and let the interviewer speak. Try not to dominate the conversation, you want to be a ski rep. Ski reps listen, and deal with the problem in a nice way.

Unless Crystal have changed their process it will be a group interview with lots of other hopefuls, think more Apprentice than a proper job.

I would suggest the poster reads my posts and thinks how he would deal with all those situations. They all crop up, and a lot more. Can the OP do a typical 18 hour transfer day and get up and deliver lift passes at 7am on Sunday? Can he sell to guests? Is he mature? Can he look after money, accounts, the admin side which can be complicated, especially on Monday when he is trying to reconcile all he has sold and delivered over the weekend? How does he interact with the other hopefuls at the interview? How would he feel about not getting to ski until February because of the workload?
latest report
Group interviews are designed to determine how you interact within a team. Often they will involve people analysing each person within the group, and writing notes on what they do to solve a problem, whether they support, lead, watch and listen, etc.

There is no right or wrong way to behave within a group other than to recognise that the group you are put in is likely to contain several people who "want" to be the leader but will in fact just try and dominate the group by talking the most. When a team is put together, it will require people who contribute in many ways.

If she is interested in dominating the group she should consider who she is trying to dominate. In my experience with Crystal, the ski reps have been dominated by females. Perhaps this is only what is seen, and the males all work in the background. Maybe this was because of the ski resorts I tended to visit. In the main though, if you are a male in a group dominated by females, (a lot of them likely to be bossy), if you want to work in that environment you will need to be a chameleon and play their game.

Interviews are about looking for evidence of suitability to the job. There may be some aspects like having to share dorm accommodation in resort with other reps. This may become a problem if you are not popular within a group of antagonistic and competitive room mates who are also work mates, and may not be mates at all. Independence is quite an important attribute, and being politically astute in how you manage a group and your contribution to it.

If you do not want the job, go to the interview but be an antagonist in the group. It will be great experience for other interviews.

Laughing

Panel interviews are a different kettle of fish. In such interviews there will be many of them and one of you. These interviews are designed to test you ability to cope under pressure. You will have many questioners. One of the people on the panel might act as your friend and another might be the bad cop. Chinese torture is another form of interview. The delaying tactics, and slow annoyances, are designed to see how you react to being mucked around in your mind. Just smile, and let the water run off the ducks back!
snow conditions
so many issues with bigtippers posts i don't even know where to start...so just going with Shocked Puzzled
snow report
Good luck.... my sister has just done a season with them, they pay you £50 a week, and dont feed you either.

Shes now having to fight for her wages, which they decided to dispute while she was out there, so she was working for free and not fed!!
latest report
mistral_ski, point her to the site in my sig to get some details on that before next winter...

Bigtipper, TO recruiters are retards interviewing from clipboards, you give them too much credit to think there's any purpose behind anything they do. Anyone who can walk and talk can wing their assessment centres; this is not the graduate milkround.
snow conditions
No problem, shes abroad at the moment but have asked her for you.
snow conditions
mistral_ski, thanks, that's appreciated, but I meant to say that if she wants to do another winter take a look at the site to see who pays better!
latest report
albinomountainbadger, I do not give TO's any credit. Have you seen their balance sheets? They have far too much credit on it already. particularly the big two in the UK. They get most of their credit from people booking holidays in advance with them, and the assets they hold to cover that credit is called "goodwill" on their balance sheet. Something which can only be realised if the company is sold. Who is going to buy the big two TO's, a smaller company? One which obtains leveraged finance to buy them? The answer is nobody is going to buy them. They banks will keep lending to them, because if they do not the will lose their current loans. This will have a domino effect. Just like bank balance sheets, they walk on ice and hope that people keep booking holidays in advance in order to keep them solvent. When people decide on masse to stop booking in advance, they will be bust!

Yet their share prices go up, because people who buy these shares are more concerned about cash flow than balance sheets. Yes, whilst the cash flow is good the shares are worth their dividend yield. However, the risk of a downturn in an economy is just one black swan event away. Then like a grounding of all aircraft due to earthquakes in Iceland, their business model is defunct. There is a thread somewhere on here about this, but for the moment people are buying shares in TO's. Some have made massive profits buying TCG when its shares were penny shares. I do not see a massive change in the balance sheet yet. There is a turnaround in cash flow, and they have avoided being put into administration (which presumably was why the shares dived). However, as I said they are only one severe downturn away from the shares being worthless due to their debt levels.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Erm, misunderstood post alert maybe, or have I missed something?
ski holidays
Quote:

have I missed something?

probably, but I missed it too. wink Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albinomountainbadger wrote:
mistral_ski, thanks, that's appreciated, but I meant to say that if she wants to do another winter take a look at the site to see who pays better!

Ohhhh I see. hahaha. Read that previous message in the wrong way. Interesting your site is i must say.
latest report
I understood fully the post regarding my giving too much credit. I was being a bit silly in posting a rant about their balance sheet. I would say that to some extent personnel departments are very professional in the way they do their work. I do not think I was giving them too much credit, indeed often I underestimate how good their skills are in weeding out people who will not perform well in a team.

On the other hand, the fallout rate by Christmas of people who take on these roles suggest that there is an enormous gap between expectations of the job and the reality. This must in some way be a function of the way they are recruited.

Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

On the other hand, the fallout rate by Christmas of people who take on these roles suggest that there is an enormous gap between expectations of the job and the reality

but many - perhaps the majority - seem to cope well, have a good time, and learn a lot.
snow report
pam w, I expect that those who leave by Christmas might have learned a lot too. They might have had a good time as well, and perhaps even coped. It is not exactly the busiest period in the run up to Christmas.

I do not know why they leave, and would not give much credibility to exit interviews. (particularly exit interviews performed by personnel deparments) They tend to miss out crucial information where it is detrimental to those doing the interviewing.
snow conditions
Bigtipper wrote:
It is not exactly the busiest period in the run up to Christmas.

When son #1 and #2 did their seasons the run up to Christmas was extremely busy. Opening up chalets and chalet hotels that had been dormant over the summer, deep cleaning kitchens etc. So much so that they were not given their lift passes until their work was done.

Same with their summer seasons. Erecting tents, getting dinghies and power boats ready for a season of sailing instructing.

Bigtipper Do you work for a tour operator?
latest report
Many leave before Christmas because they are homesick and have never had a job before, so doing 90 hours a week with minimal instruction but persistent micromanagement is too much for them. This lot largely have themselves to blame and go home quickly.

Others leave because;
1) they realise the job / accommodation is poo-poo.
2) they get a better offer elsewhere
3) they hate at least one of the three roommates.

Most of these stay in resort but work for other firms.

There's a further category of those who were 'mis-sold' their job, ie waitresses and maintenance men who find themselves doing cleaning bedrooms. Here the fault lies entirely with London HR.
latest report
Bigtipper wrote:

I do not know why they leave, and would not give much credibility to exit interviews.

Exit interviews? Bwahahahahahahah, we are talking about Tour Operators not some blue chip company losing senior staff.
ski holidays
You will likely be asked to give examples of times when you have :

Given excellent customer service.
Dealt with a difficult customer/situation.
When you have changed someones opinion.
Adapted to difficult situations.

Try to have several stories in the back of your mind that you can twist to fit the question asked.
ski holidays
My step daughter is home for the weekend, she has done a couple of seasons with crystal. I will hand her the keyboard coz my one finger doesn't take dictation very well, here she is:

Hi.. I work for TUI for 4 years- my first two years was with crystal working in Slovenia as a ski rep.. But to actually answer your question about the interview- here's what I remember;

We were told before the interview we had to prepare a 3/4minute welcome meeting speech on a ski resort we'd been to/or liked the look of- the interview was in Kingston- Surrey- I live in the very north of Scotland and had to make my way there- pay for a hotel and pay loads for 3trains to get me there- the whole thing cost loads- and there was no guarantee of even getting the job.
When I turned up there was about 20-30 of us- all applying for various jobs such as kids reps and maintenence guys.. Anyway the interview lasted the whole day- we had team building exercises where they observed us- we had a maths test- a French/German language test (it's ok u don't have to speak another language they just really like those who do)also other written tests like 'what would you do in this situation..' and the scariest bit was when we had to stand up infront of the whole room of assessors and applicants and give our welcome meeting speech. When we broke up for lunch- before they let us back in- they called names from a list who could go back in the room for the afternoon final interview- about half the folk got through and they left all the other people just standing in the hallway- basically they just had to go home- felt a bit like an X factor audition was quite cut throat I thought. Then the final interview was one to one with an assessor and it was quite informal and quite chatty- then they called the next day or two days later I can't remember and told me I had the job.

It was a great job- long hours- hard work but was a lot of fun and made some friends il have forever- couldn't recommend it more! Good luck and enjoy!
Leah
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:

would certainly agree wit this NehNeh
ski holidays
Ah, davidof, fond memories...

Oh yes and scrambling the locals cars when the transfer bus fails to arrive... Eating trout every Tuesday for 16 weeks cos there's a trout farm in the village ... Endless evenings entertaining the guests ... Sleeping all day on day off rather than skiing powder to fend off the inevitable sleep deprivation ...
snow report
dode wrote:
My step daughter is home for the weekend, she has done a couple of seasons with crystal. I will hand her the keyboard coz my one finger doesn't take dictation very well, here she is:

Hi.. I work for TUI for 4 years- my first two years was with crystal working in Slovenia as a ski rep.. But to actually answer your question about the interview- here's what I remember;

We were told before the interview we had to prepare a 3/4minute welcome meeting speech on a ski resort we'd been to/or liked the look of- the interview was in Kingston- Surrey- I live in the very north of Scotland and had to make my way there- pay for a hotel and pay loads for 3trains to get me there- the whole thing cost loads- and there was no guarantee of even getting the job.
When I turned up there was about 20-30 of us- all applying for various jobs such as kids reps and maintenence guys.. Anyway the interview lasted the whole day- we had team building exercises where they observed us- we had a maths test- a French/German language test (it's ok u don't have to speak another language they just really like those who do)also other written tests like 'what would you do in this situation..' and the scariest bit was when we had to stand up infront of the whole room of assessors and applicants and give our welcome meeting speech. When we broke up for lunch- before they let us back in- they called names from a list who could go back in the room for the afternoon final interview- about half the folk got through and they left all the other people just standing in the hallway- basically they just had to go home- felt a bit like an X factor audition was quite cut throat I thought. Then the final interview was one to one with an assessor and it was quite informal and quite chatty- then they called the next day or two days later I can't remember and told me I had the job.

It was a great job- long hours- hard work but was a lot of fun and made some friends il have forever- couldn't recommend it more! Good luck and enjoy!
Leah

Yep, this is pretty much how my Crystal "assessment day" went when I applied a few years back. For me I was taking a career break to rep for a season or two so I found the whole interview thing quite enjoyable and easy. You just always have to remember what they're looking for; as a rep it will be someone who is well presented, well prepared, and can dispense resort information to customers. To break down the day, and offer advice:

Maths test and foreign language test. Pretty obvious really, if you speak French or German then try doing a bit of brushing up before you go. If you speak a language it will be a definite foot up in the selection process. I thoroughly recommend Michel Thomas language tapes, they're very quick but excellent, especially if you already have some background learning.

General "what would you do in this scenario" test. Can't give a great amount of advice here, a lot of it is just common sense; from memory the questions were something like "what would you do with an angry guest who hadn't received something he paid for, how would you resolve it etc."

Team exercise. This was in a group of 8 of us, and the idea was to create a new après ski event for guests, and discuss how you would market it, sell it, and run it. It really doesn't matter too much what the idea is, they're just looking to see how you interact with others, so make sure you're being productive and participating without being overbearing. I think I volunteered to make the notes which kind of meant I was the central point of the discussion.

2 - 3 minute presentation, "welcome meeting". Again, this was in smaller groups. If you've been skiing with TOs before then try and remember what the welcome meeting was like. I would say that Crystal are now disbanding with the typical group welcome meeting format, but being able to stand up and describe the resort and various information is still a vital part of the job. Pick a resort that you've been to and know about, and do as much research as possible. What would you want to know if you were new to the resort? What is the quickest way to the ski area? Lift opening/closing times, describe the slopes, where the best areas are for beginners, intermediates, experts, snow parks. Mountain restaurants, where is good to eat? Bars and restaurants, where are the best ones. What is there to do in resort after the slopes close, leisure centre, bowling etc. As much relevant information as you can cram into 2 or 3 minutes.

That led up to lunch, and a few people got culled at that point. After lunch it was formal interviews, and these follow the standard interview format and questions (tell me a situation when you dealt with an angry customer, tell me about a time when you suggested a change to the way your job is done, there's plenty of research available for standard interview questions).

The real tip is to do lots and lots of research. Know what the job role is, and therefore what will be expected of you. Focus your experience around that. As a rep, customer service is absolutely the most important aspect, so dredge up as much relevant experience as you can.

18 is pretty young for a rep, but they do employ that young (in our team of 14 the youngest were an 18 and a 19 year old, with me in my mid-thirties comfortably the oldest!).

Good luck; if you've got any specific questions then just give me a shout.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy