Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The moment I slashed a supermodel

Poster: A snowHead
39seconds in to the video, slashed to the core. Shocked

youtube.com/v/qZ5XvzSjICI

I'll have a go at repairing with a ptex stick and hot air gun sometime over the summer, any tips on how to do a good job?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Metal grip and soldering iron. Give her a good welding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheaper/tool-less option is to splash some epoxy resin in then ptex over that. Won't be as sure as metalgrip but will probably hold. Araldite is best. Don't do it all too quickly or you'll poison yourself on the fumes (learnt that one). I do loads like these every season when idiots go off piste despite there not being any off-piste. Only ever had one fall out again. Not sure a candle will cut it but worth a go, as long as you've waterproofed the core with the epoxy it won't do any harm if/when your ptex falls out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Disappointed, I thought this was going to be another monumentous EOSB tale Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's but a scratch....

Did this at the Coe Cup :
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use one of spyderjon's ptex guns, much better than a candle. I have a small dedicated soldering iron which I use to pre heat the gouge and dimple into the sides so that there is a rough structure for the repair to grip too. I've had repairs now lasting 5 years.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A scratch. Didn't even slow you down!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That boards about 15 years old anyway!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a Burton . . Use it for kindling.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That looks very similar to a coreshot I took on my board the year before last. I follwed the instructions with metalgrip etc. I wasn't that impressed with the metal grip. It held better than the candles (useless in my opinion) but it didn't last long. After a week it was flaking out and after a few more days the gouge progressed into a crack. I think what you are looking at is a pre - terminal event sadly.

If I had a choice again, i'd drill a hole at either end of the gouge to stop it spreading and becoming a crack, then i'd fill the whole gouge bottom to top with a marine epoxy high flexibility glue. Sure it won't be as slippy but I bet it will last longer than metal grip.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I ordered some metlgrip but will also look for flexible epoxy.

Sure it is an old board but is in general good condition and it glides better on the flats better then any other board I've had and 99% of skiers, it will be a shame to retire it.

Given I haven't looked into snowboard development, technology or fashion for at least the last 10 years, I am clueless about what to buy as a replacement

I'm 6 feet 1
83kg
Ride piste, off piste and small to medium jumps pretty well.
Ride ~3weeks a year with over 50weeks under my belt

Any suggestions?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd take it into a decent shop and let them fix it, but then I'm lazy.

My knowledge of which Supermodel is which from their base design isn't that great.

The supermodel Mk 1 was a very popular board for off piste stuff in its day. Almost everyone I knew rode one, until taper and shorter board designs and then rocker arrived. The Mark 2 had the same name but that was about it, it never really took hold amongst off-piste people I know at least. I'm not sure which board you have there.

I would try a few boards and see what you like. Boards with wildly differing designs can all be fun, so I'd not start with any preconceived ideas.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're not alone in running old kit JimboS. My 'proper' board is an old 160 Burton Triumph I picked up in Canada in about '06. Mate of mine still rides a Gnu he got in '99.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you have big feet or wee feet JimboS, . I suffer from the former and it massively restricts my choice of board as only wide boards need apply. I just got a K2 slayblade this season (to replace the broken board referred to above) which I think is an excellent piece of kit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is a 163cm 1999 model which I think was the third year of the supermodel, size 10 feet so on the edge but prefer a "normal" width board.

I actually found it in summer 2000 in a surf shop in Austin Texas for $400, got some funny looks when checking it in wrapped in bubble wrap at the airport on the way home.
snow report
Is finding a wide that hard these days? 5-10 years ago maybe, but most brands seem to do a wide model in most ranges, particularly in the All Mountain or Freeride classes...
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, sure most brands have a wide board or two but they have dozens of regular boards. At least it reduces the time I need to spend making a short list so I suppose i should be grateful for that.
snow report
A quick mooch over on Absolute-Snow.co.uk shows over 100 boards which would suit a UK size 12, and nearly 20 if you were size 14 or more.
snow conditions
Never rode original Supermodel (bought a Rippey pro-model instead!) although I always wanted one. Had a second-generation one a few years ago and it was OK.

Currently riding an Amplid Creamer for similar duties. Quite close to the spirit of the original Supermodel. Nice freeride shape, "thinking-mans-flex" and with the nice modern twist of flat camber at the back and rocker at the nose for great float.

Although I'd agree, your core shot is but a scratch and should repair pretty well. My Rippey from the same year is long dead though!
ski holidays
If you are planing to wax the board yourself then this might help .....

http://youtube.com/v/YFp4X5Ivixs&list=TLddBaFQ4SRZyYia1IipVY6k0lUc99uMVE
latest report
My supermodel lasted this long as it has never been used in Scotland, and until recent years I generally took a couple of boards away with me to suit the conditions and kept it for only the best of conditions, however the increasing weight restrictions imposed by the airlines has put a stop to that.

I ended up also slashing my Burton 7 a couple of years ago and dinged a rail, I gave that board away on the last day of the week at Zell am See to some local kid as I didn't have the love for it.
latest report
Perhaps using the world "slash" like this may not be a good habit to get into.

Scotchland isn't good for board longevity. Something to do with the pink granite, in my limited experience of such things.
snow conditions
One of my best ever Scottish days. Glencoe, 18th Feb, must have been around 2005? It was the opening day of the season (!). Zero snow through December and January. Started dumping in early Feb and didn't let-up for 2 weeks. Resort finally opened with 2m of powder in places, but zero base! I took an old board up and obsolutely destroyed it (5 core shots, 2 broken edges and a broken sidewall!) but what a day!
snow report
philwig wrote:
Perhaps using the world "slash" like this may not be a good habit to get into.

You also thinking he meant he'd had a wee?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
If you are planing to wax the board yourself then this might help .....

http://youtube.com/v/YFp4X5Ivixs&list=TLddBaFQ4SRZyYia1IipVY6k0lUc99uMVE

I didn't think there was much more I could learn about waxing a board but I have to say that was a good watch!
snow report
Finally got round to this tonight.

Collected some cleaning materials including brake cleaner, metal grip and ptex.

After cleaning up.

I planned to use this heat gun, it turned out not to be a good choice.

Metal grip melted in.

Then sliced off with the plane blade, and then pushed in whiles still soft with brush handle.

I decided to use a router to get rid of most of the metal grip and make space for the ptex.

Routed out.

It turned out that the ptex is harder and has a higher melting temp than the metal grip so the heat gun was taking ages to melt it and if I turned up the temp it burned, a soldering iron would probably be better.

I the squashed it flat while still soft.

Once cooled down, I thought I would try a pull test, ffs, I pulled it right out and couldn't be arsed taking any more pics, back to square one. Mad
ski holidays
try lighting it and let it drip it in...
latest report
I paid €30 in a resort to get a huge gauge repaired, a full square cut out and patch job. Failing that invest in one of spyderjon's ptex guns, well worth 50 quid and ten times better than the crappy candles.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Araldite.
snow conditions
Has anyone tried the basedoc tool does it work at 1500m ?
snow report
Jimbo - way too much Ptex would be my criticism there. Whenever I've piled it that high over the gash, it's always come out in one piece, just like you've discovered.

I'd go again, but try to get the excess Ptex as low over the gash as possible. You can then use a metal scraper or similar to start from the middle and scrape down to the base in both directions - that should hold fine. Your hole will fill perfectly and you'll never notice it - a nice, long & thin one. Good luck with round 2!
latest report
Nice work with the router. The repair job looked great up to the last post which exposed the utter uselessness of p-tex repairs. Even if you get them to stick, even if they are done right, you'll still only get a few days before it starts to flake out. I liked the look of your melted metalgrip - I'd be tempted to just fill it up flush with metalgrip, sand it smooth, slather it in wax and get back on the hill. It'll be a bit stickier but for all the size of the repair compared to the overall base area, I'd bet you'll hardly notice it. I doubt it would last forever but when I did something similar I got about a week out of it which was much more than I ever managed with the ptex.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy