Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Basi L3 tech and teach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
mainly a message for Stevemc

hows the course doing dude? i couldn't raise the finances to get there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was on a crazy month-long BASI stint (did the coaching courses, then Tech & Teach).

Unfortunately, I got injured in early March and missed the second half of the season (didn't get a single turn in from being injured until I turned-up in Hintertux). So I wasn't as prepared as I wanted to be. The result was that I missed my Tech by a whisker - got a "pass" (doesn't count for anything!) in 3 of the 5 strands, near-miss on the other 2, which were exactly the stuff I wanted to practise over the missing few weeks! Will be back next year for sure. On the Teach right now, going well so far.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bloody hell. thats not a cheap month at all.

good luck for the Teach. who's the trainer?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got Mark Petty this week, he's good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He sure is.
Took my l2
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unlucky stevomc - next year? Or can you do a tech resit sooner?

How much of a jump did you find it from the level 2? I know they bump up each strand by 1 point on the 1-6 scale - how hard did you find it to actually make that step? Are there any new techniques that you had to learn to sit the 3 that you were totally unaware of on the 2? E.g. you can pass a L2 without doing cross-under turns - does that L3 demand that you demo them, or is it just that you could use them when appropriate?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got my Teach! Woohoo!

jiagedaping, the step from Level 2 is absolutely massive. Unofficially, the snowboard level 3 is equivalent to the ski level 4 (as we don't have a separate level 4).

The level of performance in all of the strands is completely different from level 2. At level 2, you are trained to make fairly static turns from a solid, stacked position. At level 3, much more movement and board performance is required. To use your example, you would be expected to be absolutely ripping cross under turns with a short radius and very full arc on the steepest piste you can imagine.

The most important difference is that level 3 is not about demonstrating any kind of movement pattern or even about teaching. It is a purely technical course and it is about showing that you can absolutely tear it up in all kinds of terrain.

Freestyle is a big step-up too. Level 2 requires a straight air over a fairly small kicker. Level 3 requires 360s over a decent-sized one.

Oh yeah, and you should essentially be able to ride to a level 2 standard (or better) switch!

Don't pay too much attention to the 1-6 scale (in fact, it's more-or-less been ditched anyway). For example, you have to be at a "5" for carving on level 2. You also have to be at a 5 for carving at level 3. This doesn't mean that a level 2 carve will pass at level 3. The "task" is different. At level 3, you have to be able to make continuous, smooth, closed-off carves on a red run regular and switch, plus make good, closed-off carves in your normal stance on a steep red.

The historical pass-rate is about 30% and this year was no different! Most people won't make the step up from level 2 without a lot of experience and probably some coaching in between.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
The most important difference is that level 3 is not about demonstrating any kind of movement pattern or even about teaching. It is a purely technical course and it is about showing that you can absolutely tear it up in all kinds of terrain.

That's really interesting - so you're effectively allowed to choose your own inputs, as long as your outputs are seen to be performing the task to the required level? Could you for ride with a bad habit and still be allowed to pass as long as you were demoing the required level, or does your style form a big part of that level as well?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="jiagedaping"]
Quote:
Could you for ride with a bad habit and still be allowed to pass as long as you were demoing the required level, or does your style form a big part of that level as well?

no, your bad habit would no doubt prevent you skiing to the required level, and you'd probably know exactly what it was by L3
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski said it - you won't get away with bad habits at level 3 because they won't allow you to ride well enough. It is about demonstrating board performance, so the "inputs" have some room for personal style. Even some of the trainers have noticeably different styles once they really start cranking the board hard.

I'll be back next year for sure.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd, Cheers for the write up. I should do a bit more boarding - quite fancy doing the 2.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndAnotherThing.., the level 2 is pretty achievable for a good "holiday rider". You need to ride in a very well stacked-and-centred position and be able to ride in the "BASI way" (which is a good way, I should add!). Beyond that, the performance level is not super-high. Clean carving on mellow blues, controlled turns on steep reds, staying in a good posture, holding good posture in variable snow conditions on fairly mellow slopes, surviving bumps and then easy stuff in the park - straight airs and 50-50s.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd, Cheers. I've been told I'm there abouts but that was when I was riding regularly on snow during a season so I'd have to put some work in to get back up to speed. I do enjoy teaching boarding so it would be good. A can of worms, but what board would you suggest ? I was thinking some sort of all mountain twin.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.., yeah, some sort of all-mountain board is spot-on. I'd go for a cambered board personally (most of the riders / trainers on the level 3 are on cambered boards). Doesn't have to be a true twin shape, as long as you're happy riding switch on it. A little bit of a directional shape/stance doesn't hurt for the Variables strand, although you may also have to do a switch Variables run... (certainly at level 3).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevomcd, I'm with you on the camber, same with ski's.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy